April 2013 Moms

Zantac

Have any of you ladies had to put your babies on Zantac for reflux? If you have, did you find it helped? How soon? Per my pediatrician's recommendation, I'm starting it with DS today and was hoping to hear some of your experiences. Thanks!
CafeMom Tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Zantac

• My son has been on Zantac for a little over a month.  His pedi said it could take a few weeks for maximum effect, but it helped right away.  He couldn't lay flat at all - he slept in the rock n play.  Soon after starting Zantac he was able to sleep flat.  He still spits up a bit, but he's not screaming bloody murder now.

We also give him a bottle thickened with oatmeal cereal at night, per ped/Children's Hospital recommendation. 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • My LO has been on Zantac since Mothers Day, I forgot how many weeks he was. I noticed it worked for him the next day. He stopped spitting up and arching his back. Our pedi recommended one dose every 12 hours and I noticed if I miss a dose then his symptoms immediately come back

• Loading the player...
  • Liam has been on 2mL of zantac for reflux since May. I can't even tell you what a difference it has made in our home!! before starting it, he would take about an ounce of formula and start screaming like he was in pain and refuse to eat any more. the only time he would eat peacefully was when he was practically asleep. i was convinced he had colic, and within a week i could have sworn i had a different baby. he rarely spits up now and is a happy, chunky little man!

we are going to talk to his pedi at the 4m appointment about when to wean him off of it. i'm thinking when he's eating solids consistently we will see what happens with a lower dose. 

I hope you have as much luck as we did! FWIW, i was never able to get Liam to just take the medicine from the syringe. i mix it with 2oz of formula first thing every morning so i know that he gets every drop. every time i mixed it with a full bottle, he never would finish the whole thing. GL!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

imageimage
  • Thank you! I hope I have success with it like you all have!
    CafeMom Tickers

• Zantac worked quickly for us in terms of reflux but within a few days we had trouble again. It can be very caustic to some babies tummies. We are on Prevacid now. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I think he is growing out of it now, but yes -- he's been on zantac since he was about 3 wks old.  He is still a spitter but no longer cries / arches in pain.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Yep. He started sleeping better when he started it. The dr did say that it doesn't help all babies but at the least it will make them less fussy and at the most: less fussy, better sleep, eating better, spitting up less. He still spits up but he does not spit up a whole bottle anymore and we could never, ever lay him down flat before and can now. I hope it works for you guys! 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • LO has been on Zantac for almost 2 months. Her dosage has increased twice and she's now on 1.5mL. I noticed a difference within a couple days of using it, but then symptoms would keep coming and going. Her pedi put her on prevacid also, and we're using a lactose-free formula. The combination has worked very well. She still shows symptoms from time to time, but we've noticed a definite improvement.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"