Blended Families

DS is unusually clingy....

DS has always been a little bit of a momma's boy, but it was never too bad. Just given the option of me or almost anyone else he would choose me. But the past week he has been extremely clingy! Always saying "momma don't leave me": at bedtime, when I drop him off at DC, etc. He follows me into every room I go to, wants to know where I'm going and when I'll be back (for instance when I go to the basement to do laundry). As soon as I get home from work he wants to be picked up and not put down AT ALL.

Is this just a 3YO phase? DH thinks that DS is doing this because he knows we are having a baby, but I don't think so.

(side note: DS constantly talks about the "baby in momma's belly". He was crawling all over me the other night and making me nauseous, so I told him he had to sit still, no mention of my belly at all. And DS looks me in the eyes and says "I don't want to hurt the baby". We don't talk about it with DS much but we told him once and he latched onto it. Is that normal for a 3YO?)

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: DS is unusually clingy....

• My DS is 3.5, and we are going through the same clingyness right now. He doesn't even want to stay with his Nana overnight. I can't even take the dog out or change clothes without being followed!

And drop offs at daycare have been horrible! Never had a problem before. But this week have been so good so far. 1000 times better, actually.

I think the clingyness is a phase. I kinda like it to an extent because he has never been an overwhelming mama's boy or cuddler. I'm enjoying it while it lasts. Lol!
  • The youngest boy is 3 3/4 years old. He was 2 when sister arrived and did not want to let go of being the baby.

This time around he pets my belly, gets mad when the baby kicks the back of his head when he sits on me, and has reverted back to diapers. All the time showing me where baby will sleep (crib) and how he is not a baby since he has a big boys bed. He is making baby sounds but keeps asking about preschool.

So yes, it is most likely normal.
    DS1 - 6/07
    DS2 - 8/08
    DS3- 9/09
    DD1 - 11/11
    DD2 - 10/13
    DD3 - Csection Scheduled November 29th
  • Loading the player...
  • imageAlwaysForgetful:
    The youngest boy is 3 3/4 years old. He was 2 when sister arrived and did not want to let go of being the baby.This time around he pets my belly, gets mad when the baby kicks the back of his head when he sits on me, and has reverted back to diapers. All the time showing me where baby will sleep crib and how he is not a baby since he has a big boys bed. He is making baby sounds but keeps asking about preschool.So yes, it is most likely normal.

Oh no diapers?! How do you deal with that?
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Very normal. DD is 3 1/2 and I am going thru the same thing.  Encourage some independence whenever you can, and praise him when he does something on his own that he hasn't been. DD eats it up when I do that.   It has eased up her neediness. 

"he offered her the world. she said she had her own" - poet Monique Duval
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"