Homeschooling

Homeschooled, become the homeschool teacher

I was homeschooled growing up, all the way up to college. My children are still pretty little, but I am thinking about homeschooling, since I been through it. Any other mother in the same boat as me? Would love to hear about your experience!

Re: Homeschooled, become the homeschool teacher

• Thank you very much! When I found the website had a homeschool board I was super excited! I look forward to future posts and convos!
  • imagenatazata:
    I was homeschooled growing up, all the way up to college. My children are still pretty little, but I am thinking about homeschooling, since I been through it. Any other mother in the same boat as me? Would love to hear about your experience!

Hi, welcome! I can't really help bcuz I wasn't homeschooled myself but I do have some questions if you don't mind. How do you feel about being homeschooled? As a child or teenager, did you experience any resentment about it or desire to go to public school? And how was the transition from homeschool to college? I guess I'm curious about the long-term affects and the child's perspective bcuz as a mother, of course, I want to make the best choice. Thanks in advance for any help.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • cmama2cmama2 member

Hi,

I was homeschooled from third grade to graduating high school. My children are little as well, but I am planning on homeschooling them. I loved being homeschooled, I feel as though I was able to learn things the way I needed to learn them and I learned so much more about the world around me!  I'm excited to start teaching my children in the fun and unique way I was taught!

• imagebsims726:

imagenatazata:

Hi, welcome! I can't really help bcuz I wasn't homeschooled myself but I do have some questions if you don't mind. How do you feel about being homeschooled? As a child or teenager, did you experience any resentment about it or desire to go to public school? And how was the transition from homeschool to college? I guess I'm curious about the long-term affects and the child's perspective bcuz as a mother, of course, I want to make the best choice. Thanks in advance for any help.

Butting in! I was home schooled and I plan on homeschooling part of the way at least.

I would say be flexible and accommodate your child. I went to public and private school too but got my GED b/c my mom banned me from any school but home school after a certain age because of Columbine. It was way over protective of her. I got into college with a GED just fine but I would probably have finished if she let me go where I wanted.

ETA: Also, my mom stopped "teaching" me after 6th grade and I graded my own papers and work from 6th grade on and chose my own curriculum from 9th grade on. I was in the middle of 11th grade when I dropped out b/c the state made more work for home schoolers and I already had more work than I could handle. So, that as another factor in my dropping out.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageSidraJedi:
    imagebsims726:

imagenatazata:

Butting in! I was home schooled and I plan on homeschooling part of the way at least.

I would say be flexible and accommodate your child. I went to public and private school too but got my GED b/c my mom banned me from any school but home school after a certain age because of Columbine. It was way over protective of her. I got into college with a GED just fine but I would probably have finished if she let me go where I wanted.

ETA: Also, my mom stopped "teaching" me after 6th grade and I graded my own papers and work from 6th grade on and chose my own curriculum from 9th grade on. I was in the middle of 11th grade when I dropped out b/c the state made more work for home schoolers and I already had more work than I could handle. So, that as another factor in my dropping out.

Feel free to butt in, I'll accept help from anyone who wants to give it. Your experience is interesting, thanks for sharing.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Welcome! I was home schooled for one year. :)

DD1 | Jan 2009
    DD2 | June 2011
    DS1 | Oct 2013
       ADD3 | Oct 2014 (April 2001)
    DS2 | June 2016
    DS3 | Dec 2018

Due with baby blob August 2021

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagenatazata:

I was homeschooled from 5th-8th grade, and I'm still up in the air about homeschooling my kids (first one is coming in August, and we hope to have more). I liked that I was able to learn at my own pace, and when I did go back to public school I was way ahead of the curve. I think it set me up well for college and life experiences in general. I would say that being able to be flexible with the curriculum and taking the opportunity to learn from experience rather than from a textbook is one of the best things I got from my homeschooling experience and why I am strongly considering it for my kids as well. I think even if we don't homeschool entirely, we may do at least a few years of it.

• ObLaDiObLaDi member
    I was unschooled and we are unschooling our son.

To the pp who asked, I adored it. I did get curious about public school a few times and chose to attend 6th grade and high school. I was the top student in my class both times.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wasn't, but I have several wonderful friends who were in our homeschool group :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"