June 2013 Moms

Vitamin D drop recommendations?

DD's pedi recommends breastfed babies take vitamin D drops, and we got Enfamil's Poly-Vi-Sol without iron. It tastes awful!! We have Anna a full dose yesterday, then she vomited like she was in The Exorcist... I gave her two drops just not with the same results. Does anyone have any recommendations for a better tasting drop? Ideally Vitamin D only since she doesn't really need the other vitamins.
photo 10ebb789-afb8-45aa-93a6-7e8da795dd51_zpse91502e6.jpg
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Vitamin D drop recommendations?

• rzurbrrzurbr member
    Our pedi gave us a prescription for Enfamil's D Vi Sol which only has Vitamin D.  E takes the dose pretty easily but our best bet to make sure she gets the entire 1 ml dose is to mix it in with a bottle of breast milk.  You may want to try this version and see if Anna likes it better.

• No baby like, they are alll awful. My DS will take it but its a process...time. I usually place it along his jawline and let him swallow! I'm not doing bottlesas of yet.
  • Loading the player...
  • AchaeAchae member
    We also use the enfamil. You can buy it from shelves at Walmart etc. it's not too awful, it reminds me of licorice.
  • You can also start with a small amount and work your way up on the volume once she gets used to it.  Or mix it with a bottle. 

I got Carlson's drops from Amazon recently. It only takes 1 drop and each drop has 400 IU of Vitamin D.  

• jefkjefk member
    Our pedi recommended Tri-Vi-Sol (Enfamil brand).  It smells like citrus and is dark brown, so it's easy to spot when DD spits it up.  I have to give it to her completely separate from her feedings, otherwise she spits it up along with the rest of her milk.
  • imagejmcgra06:
    DD's pedi recommends breastfed babies take vitamin D drops, and we got Enfamil's PolyViSol without iron. It tastes awful!! We have Anna a full dose yesterday, then she vomited like she was in The Exorcist... I gave her two drops just not with the same results. Does anyone have any recommendations for a better tasting drop? Ideally Vitamin D only since she doesn't really need the other vitamins.

We give this same vitamin but put it in 5 mls of breast milk. Then feed it to the babies first before the rest of their food. It's the only way they'll take it.
  • I got the Jaimson brand.  They only need one drop.  I tried one, and its tasteless.  She doesn't even know I gave it to her
    div style="text-align: center;">
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Our lo didn't like the enfamil polyvisol so our dr recommended some berry flavored drops from whole foods. The brand is child life. The dosage is 6 drops only so we drop that into a spoon and then suck it up with a syringe.
  • The enfamil ones have artificial colors, flavors and sweeteners. Why does a newborn need that crap?

Try Carlson's.
    *Bumping since 2007*
    had to change my sn :) TTC # 1 since Jan 06
    Miracle Baby #1 - March 2012
    Miracle Baby #2 - June 2013
  • skioskio member
    imagetantdylf:
    The enfamil ones have artificial colors, flavors and sweeteners. Why does a newborn need that crap?

Try Carlson's.

Yup, ditto.

Or nothing at all. I refuse to buy into the idea that my own breast milk isn't nutritious enough for my baby, but formulas are. I never did vitamin D with DD1 and don't do it with DD2. They're both just fine. We get out every day for some minor sun exposure.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • imagesubliminalrabbit:

imagerzurbr:
    Our pedi gave us a prescription for Enfamil's D Vi Sol which only has Vitamin D.  E takes the dose pretty easily but our best bet to make sure she gets the entire 1 ml dose is to mix it in with a bottle of breast milk.  You may want to try this version and see if Anna likes it better.

We use the same, but DS actually really likes the taste!  He gives me a big smile after I put it in his mouth.

yup, B loves that stuff.  He slurps it right down and smiles! 

image image
    Bennett Andrew- 6/4/13      Nora Elizabeth - 10/3/14
  • imagerzurbr:

Lily uses the same.  I think we just found it on the shelf in the Target pharmacy.  Lily doesn't really enjoy the taste, but I think it smells like cough syrup.  

AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagejessiegirl10.18:
    I use the Carlson d drops. No dyes and only vitamin d, plus its just one drop on your nipple before a feeding.

I use this too
  • mgm84mgm84 member

I, too, have been struggling with this.  I am not so confident my LO needs it.  Since she was a preemie, they said she needed the Poly Vi Sol.  However, they all seem to have way too much JUNK in them!

Does anyone know of a drop that has vitamin D2?  I looked up the Carlson's one and it is still D3 :(  I just think it's nasty to consume!  We are hoping to raise a "cruelty free baby" - at least as much as possible :)

Lilypie - (eoyh)

• Baby Ddrops has no taste, no dye and no preservative.  It is truly all natural and you only need to give 1 drop to get the full daily dose as recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics.  Here is where you can find them:  https://vitaminddrops.com/where-to-buy.php or on Amazon.com at https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Ddrops%C2%AE-400-IU-drops/dp/B003CT36NE/ref=?ie=UTF8&m=A1EXOQHNLJCUOL
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"