Baby Names
Options

Indian name

Wanted to get some feedback on potential names. My husband and I are both Indian but grew up here in the US. We both have indian names that are often mispronounced. I know it will be an issue with the names we are considering for the baby but wanted to get some feedback on our current choices.

Boy:
Ketan pronounced Kaythan rhymes with Nathan

Girl:
Simran pronounced how it looks.

Thoughts? I hesitate more with Ketan bc I know people wont know how to say it but I don't want to change the spelling of it either.

Re: Indian name

• Options

i love both names. i think because it is your heritage and you and your husband both have names from India i don't think it will matter. you probably had to correct the way people said your name, and you lived :)

i wouldn't change spelling, or either of the names. i didn't know how to pronounce Ketan, but i like it now that i do 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Be proud of your heritage! Yes, most of us who are not familiar with Indian names will mispronounce the names the first time, but that's ok.  I think most people respect difficult names that mean something, rather than difficult names for the sake of being different.
    DX: Hashimoto's - August 2012

Me:30 / DH: 31

BFP#1 after 15 cycles on 12/1/2013 EDD 8/7/2014

Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it. We haven't told anyone else so it's nice to have other opinions.
  • Options
    I like both names a lot.
    ✯             ✯              ✯          ✯               ✯     ✯             ✯         ✯     ✯          ✯                   
  • Options
    To be honest I would struggle with the boys name lol but I have Indian friends and I quickly got used to how their names are pronounced. One of them is named Asha which I think is a beautiful name. They are both lovely
  • Options

I would struggle with them if I just saw them written down, but there's nothing hard about how to say them once you hear them.

I agree with pp, it's your heritage. They are really nice sounding names (do they have a particular meaning or are they important in someway?). Go with what you want.

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Options
    I like both.  I agree that more people would misprounce Ketan, but I don't think that should stop you from using it.

imageimageimage

Trying to get knocked up since June 2012 ~ Dx: PCOS

BFP 7.24.13 ~ EDD 4.2.14 ~ m/c  9.16.13 @ 11w4d

BFP 5.4.14 ~ EDD 1.12.15 ~ stick little bean!

TTGP 2013 Best Blog ~ Fruit ~ My BFP Chart 

• Options
    imageKateLouise:
    I would struggle with them if I just saw them written down, but there's nothing hard about how to say them once you hear them.I agree with pp, it's your heritage. They are really nice sounding names do they have a particular meaning or are they important in someway?. Go with what you want.

This!
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• Options

imagesunlavender:
    I like both.  I agree that more people would misprounce Ketan, but I don't think that should stop you from using it.

Agree. People will learn.

• Options
    Thanks everyone! We definitely are going to use Indian names to honor our heritage but I guess part of our hesitation was that we don't personally know anyone with either of these names so wanted to get some feedback, esp on the spelling of Ketan. Simran means remembrance of God and Ketan means home.

We have 2 back up names also in case the baby doesn't 'look' like a Ketan or a simran!
  • Options

imageap142193:
    Be proud of your heritage! Yes, most of us who are not familiar with Indian names will mispronounce the names the first time, but that's ok.  I think most people respect difficult names that mean something, rather than difficult names for the sake of being different.

This.

• Options
    krb03krb03 member

imagesilverlining2011:
    Thanks everyone! We definitely are going to use Indian names to honor our heritage but I guess part of our hesitation was that we don't personally know anyone with either of these names so wanted to get some feedback, esp on the spelling of Ketan. Simran means remembrance of God and Ketan means home. We have 2 back up names also in case the baby doesn't 'look' like a Ketan or a simran!

I think your names are great & really like their meanings. I'm a teacher & love having students with culturally significant names. Everyone can learn something :)

imageimage
  • Options
    I like the names, but he will always have to tell people how to pronounce Ketan. Or, if he's shy, he will always just go by Ke.tan in school.
  • Options
    imageestreyas:
    I like them both. DH and I are from US/Canada, but live in India, and are giving our kid an Indian name it will be Asha, Rohan, or Kiran.I love other names, like Meghana, but DH has quashed that because of a pain in the arse student named Megha.nbsp;

Yay! Glad someone India replied! That was one of my hubby's concerns that maybe the names had some negative connotation in India that we were unaware of. Thanks for the feedback. Love your names. Kiran is actually our backup boys name and we considered Rohan but have too many in our family.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"