Baby Names

Can Lola or Ella be a nn for...

Can Lola or Ella be a nn for Penelope?

If you had to choose, which one: Daphne or Penelope?

I'm still not 100% sure on a name. Any other suggestions welcome! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Can Lola or Ella be a nn for...

• I see no reason why you couldn't use Ella or Lola as a nickname for Penelope.  I know many people whose nicknames are not at all related to their real names, or have only a passing connection.

If I had to pick one, Penelope.

An acquaintance named her daughter Daphne, but pronounces it Daff-een and it's just ruined the name for me.

Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    VOTE on my Name List
  • To me, both Lola and Ella are stand alone names. I love Penelope but they dont jump out as nns for it. I would be more likely to call her Penny..
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Anniversary
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Penelope is a beautiful name and would be my top choice if I hadn't dated one previously. Love Penelope. As for a nn Ella, doesn't really fit for me. I think the nn penny is cute
  • They both seem like a stretch to me and I'm not a big fan of either name.
  • Yes I think they both can be nn's-  I do not think a nn has to be strictly derived from the formal name.

That said I love Daphne.   I really want to love Penelope but it always seemed a bit clunky to me      It seems to be getting really popular really quickly by me too

• I vote for Daphne.
  • imageMelRC117:
    The nicknames are a bit of a stretch for me but I prefer Daphne WAY over Penelope.

Totally!

OP, what about Phoebe?

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Lola and Ella totally work as NNs for Penelope. When you have a kid with a long name (I have a Tallulah) the nicknames just come out of the woodwork. Penelope has a ton of NN options I don't think either Lola or Ella is a stretch.

I love both Daphne and Penelope; I think Penelope is prettier, but it's decidedly more popular. So if that matters, Daphne might be the better choice.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I would choose Daphne because I can't standr Penelope and I am just so sick of seeing it. I would even pick Ella or Lola as stand alone names before Penelope.

• I like Penelope best. I think Lola is more derivative of Penelope than Ella, but I think you can go for either! Love both those nick names.
  • They both work for me. I'd probably go with Lola just because there are so many Ellas.

How about Nell or Nellie?

• Leap08Leap08 member
    imageoliversbear:

I see no reason why you couldn't use Ella or Lola as a nickname for Penelope.  I know many people whose nicknames are not at all related to their real names, or have only a passing connection.

If I had to pick one, Penelope.

An acquaintance named her daughter Daphne, but pronounces it Daff-een and it's just ruined the name for me.

Umm.. that's just wrong. Poor child. She's going to be correcting people her entire life.

My daughter's name is Daphne so that's the one I'd choose. The other name we seriously considered was Penelope with the nn Nellie. I do think you could make Lola or Ella work.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I guess Ella could but with so many Ellas out there I would use a more original NN. I like Nellie or Penny. Lola seems a little far off. I prefer Penelope over Daphne.

• imageHelenahhandbasket:

imageMelRC117:
    The nicknames are a bit of a stretch for me but I prefer Daphne WAY over Penelope.

Totally!

OP, what about Phoebe?

I'm not to crazy about Phoebe, it's a little too cute, I'm into more feminine sounding names. 

Thanks for the suggestions! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think Lola could be a stand alone nickname if that makes sense... it wouldn't necessarily have to be based on her name, it could just be her nickname. 

Nellie would be my choice as a nn for Penelope. 

I like Daphne more than Penelope just because it's more refreshing.  

Another name suggestion I had for you was Piper.

• I like Penelope! I prefer the nn Lola out of those two.
     J (08/04/07) F (10/28/09) H (07/18/12) #4 (01/02/14)
  • I don't think they work as nn's for Penelope unfortunately!

If it's a choice between Daphne and Penelope, Daphne definitely gets my vote!  It's so pretty and underused.  The Kardashians ruined Penelope for me.

• CMSAVCMSAV member
    my fave nn for Penelope is Poppy
  • imageMelRC117:

this! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"