February 2013 Moms

Anyone still worried about SIDS?

Whenever DD sleeps for longer than I expect her to, I start freaking out about SIDS. Especially now that she sleeps on her belly sometimes. I always put her down on her back, but she loves rolling and before I even left the room for her morning nap, she was on her belly, falling asleep. It's been over 2 hours (she usually doesn't nap that long), so I just checked on her. She was on her belly, very still, and for one heart stopping moment, I feared the worst. Then I saw her breathing and left so she could keep napping.

I'm just wondering if this is still on anyone's mind, or if I'm overreacting and being too anxious.

PCOS with long, irregular cycles
First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

Re: Anyone still worried about SIDS?

• imageSterling13:
    All.the.time. I assume I'll stop worrying when I'm 6 feet under, not a moment before. It won't always be a worry about SIDS of course, but one fear will replace another.

Yes.  As all the other STM's will tell you, this really never goes away.  Maybe gets slightly better, but never goes away.  I love this story my BFF told me - she was telling her DH how worried she was that the baby had been sleeping for so long, and he says "so let me get this straight...you don't like it if he doesn't sleep for long enough, and now you don't like it if he sleeps too long??  Woman, will you just be happy?"  

Pretty much sums up motherhood.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"You reach deeper until you can find the strength.  That's all life is, one big fight after another."

Angel babies: 9/19/07, 10/08/09, 1/05/11

• DS never sleeps longer than I expect him to, haha. In fact, usually he wakes up before I think he would. But I do still worry about it. We had a Snuza monitor, but now that he rolls he knocks it off in the middle of the night and causes panic attacks. I am starting to feel a little better now that 6 months is getting closer and that is when a pretty big decrease in risk occurs, so I've read. But I do still wake up in the middle of the night and will watch the video monitor for a few to make sure I can see him breathing.
  • Loading the player...
  • We started putting E to bed in her own room this last Saturday. My worrying was starting to subside and then last night the monitor started beeping. And not just the warning beep either. She was fine when I got in there, but man my heart was pounding! So now I want to put her back in our room so I can just roll over and see her breathing.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• I literally just came here to post about this as DD just flipped to her belly for her nap and it is taking all of my restraint not to flip her back (though I probably will!)  She is still in the arms reach mini co-sleeper by our bed so she does not have a ton of room to roll around, but she has managed this and it is freaking me out.  We have only been unswaddled for a week and a half about and I really preferred the swaddle between 2 rice socks because she could not get into another position.  

I don't want to be a crazy mom and I feel like I am pretty chill about a lot of things.  But we have 2 moms who lost babies to SIDS in my Facebook loss moms group so it is not like it is something that I just know can happen but have never heard of it actually occurring.  One of them was 6 months :(

Update: I did not finish typing this thread before I put her back on her side.  Sigh.  So no, you are definitely not alone! 

We are so thankful that our second daughter, Lillian Elizabeth "Lily", was born healthy and happy on February 11, 2013.  We love her to pieces.  

We lost our first daughter, Hannah Grace on May 4, 2011.  She was buried on May 14 during a beautiful service at my home church. We are grateful that if she could not be here with us, that she is healed and whole with the Lord. We look forward to the day when we will get to meet her. We love her so much.

• Yes, and especially being away this week!

• I'll start to relax slightly after 6 months. But I still check on my girls and make sure they're breathing before I go to bed and worry if they sleep longer than usual. 
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageally2011:

I literally just came here to post about this as DD just flipped to her belly for her nap and it is taking all of my restraint not to flip her back (though I probably will!)  She is still in the arms reach mini co-sleeper by our bed so she does not have a ton of room to roll around, but she has managed this and it is freaking me out.  We have only been unswaddled for a week and a half about and I really preferred the swaddle between 2 rice socks because she could not get into another position.  

I don't want to be a crazy mom and I feel like I am pretty chill about a lot of things.  But we have 2 moms who lost babies to SIDS in my Facebook loss moms group so it is not like it is something that I just know can happen but have never heard of it actually occurring.  One of them was 6 months :(

Update: I did not finish typing this thread before I put her back on her side.  Sigh.  So no, you are definitely not alone! 

We are on our second nap and she has flipped again.  I am trying to be chill....however, I can't really tell on the monitor if she is breathing so I set a paci on her back and can see it move up and down.  I know that is crazy and I don't care.  It is still taking all of my restraint not to flip her, but she needs some sleep....we are starting some of the sleep regression stuff I have previously only read about and it. is. not. fun. 

We are so thankful that our second daughter, Lillian Elizabeth "Lily", was born healthy and happy on February 11, 2013.  We love her to pieces.  

We lost our first daughter, Hannah Grace on May 4, 2011.  She was buried on May 14 during a beautiful service at my home church. We are grateful that if she could not be here with us, that she is healed and whole with the Lord. We look forward to the day when we will get to meet her. We love her so much.

• Yes. My sister told me that she still checks to make sure my 12 year old nephew is breathing.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our Sweet Boy "LJ"
  • Yup. I remember relaxing a LOT once DD1 was a year old and now if she sleeps crazy long I don't even blink, I just enjoy it. But with the little one I still get nervous.
  • Seriously. All.the.time.

I drive my husband crazy with all my precautions and my freak out moments. We have a 7 year daughter and I still check in to make sure she's okay at night. I'm totally one of those mom's.. My poor 2 children!
  • My littlest bedshares, so he is on me/eating half the night most nights, but during the day I poke him all the time to make sure he's still alive.  If he doesn't move, I freak out and poke harder/gently shake (wiggle) until he grunts at me or moves. :)  I still go listen for the older one's breathing at night and poke him too.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Ugh, yes. Not to a crazy degree or anything, it's not like the worry consumes me... but DD is at the point that she usually wakes up once at night to eat, but sporadically sleeps through. I can't fully enjoy when she sleeps through because I always wake up in the middle of the night anyway and feel compelled to check on her!

• I was just like you with DD1. This time that particular fear is not as prominent. I'm not sure why. Perhaps I don't have as much brain energy to devote to it this time...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Many people lose their children after the 6 month mark, even though it becomes less common. Please keep those babies safe. 

https://www.facebook.com/pausesafesleep 

image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• I always worry about SIDS with my DD. It seems like I check on her every 10 minutes when she is napping during the day especially since she has recently started sleeping on her tummy. At night we co-sleep so I am able to reach out and touch her and make sure she is still breathing. We are super careful and have all blankets and pillows away from her at all times. I feel so much better with her where I can reach her than in her room in her crib. We had her sleeping in a bassinet next to my side of the bed but now she is too big for it but I am too scared to have her sleep in another room at night. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"