May 2013 Moms

Hospital stay

Earlier today, LO gagged while eating, and then seemed to hold his breath, until his mouth and lips turned bluish purple. I sat him up straight and thumped his back. He coughed up some milk, took a deep breath, his color came back, and then he started screaming. A few minutes later he calmed down and it was like nothing happened.

I called the doc, and they had me bring him in. It happened again at the doc's office, minus the coughing up of milk.

What they previously thought might be reflux is now almost definitely reflux, but because of the severity of these two episodes, they admitted him to the hospital for observation. They even insisted on ambulance transport, in case it happened to him again while I was driving.

So far so good. He loved the ambulance ride, and his vitals and oxygen levels have been perfect. Of course, he hasn't had an episode since he's been hooked up, and while I'm glad it hasn't happened again, I do wish we knew what his vitals were doing during an episode.

In other news, his hip ultrasound went great, no abnormalities. And while we waited for the transport, they went over all my google fears from the other day and assured me his back arching is nothing serious.

Any TP's are welcome and appreciated... that the rest of the night goes smooth, that it is just reflux related, and that he never turns blue like that again! I was terrified, and I never want to have a reason to be that scared again.

Re: Hospital stay

• How scary! T&p's headed your way. 
  • So sorry! Sending TnPs your way!

Very glad the hip ultrasound went well!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2:
    March - May 2014 - Natural cycles - no luck
    June 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    July 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    August 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    September 2014 - Clomid 50mg - Fingers crossed...

• Loading the player...
  • Sending you good thoughts!
    Baby girl born 5/20/13. Figuring it out as we go. :)
  • kmcd23kmcd23 member
    Thank you! He's been doing great so far.
  • Thoughts and Prayers for you family, especially your LO

• KLJ3KLJ3 member
    The same thing happened to my LO when he was a couple weeks old, sending us to the ER in a hurry! Of course he was fine [asleep, no less!] by the time we got there, and thank goodness it hasn't happened since.

Choking like that is the scariest thing ever, and I sincerely hope that you and your LO never have to experience it again!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Scary sending love thoughts and prayers your way.

• How scary!! Glad to hear all is OK, though!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • So scary, and glad to hear things are going well so far. Good luck getting things figured out! Lots of healthy thoughts coming your way.

My little bug, Madeline. Born June 2, 2013.

• How scary!  Hope everything turns out OK!
  • That is scary! Hope he continues to feel better!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Oh my goodness, I hope they determine the problem soon! T and P's!
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
    O14 January Signature Challenge: Snow Fails
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • MrsRKJMrsRKJ member
    Oh how scary!  Glad to hear that LO is doing better!  Sending t & p's your way!
    Welcomed our baby boy Henry on March 15, 2013 (7 weeks early!)

TTA until 2014

• You poor thing, that must have been so terrifying for you! I'm glad the hip ultrasound went well.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • that must have been terrifying.  Thoughts and prayers for you little one.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • How scary!! I'm so glad LO is ok now!!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • HZ2012HZ2012 member
    Awe! I'm so sorry you and your LO had to go through that - you must've been terrified. Sending thoughts and prayers that it never happens again! 
  • Very scary! Hope little man doesn't have any more episodes!!
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • kmcd23kmcd23 member
    Oh my gosh. We're sharing a room with a 5 day old baby who needs billi lights, and his little squeaks are making me realize just how much LO has grown and changed! He never squeaks anymore. Bittersweet.
  • Oh wow that sounds so scary!! I'm glad everything is ok.
  • Poor little man!! Hope you get good news, t&ps

photo f2800575-8c12-4491-8194-153c04d585b8_zps49b02af4.jpg
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • How scary! I hope they figure out what it is so you don't have to worry about it happening everytime he's eating!
  • My thoughts and prayers are with you guys.  I hope everything is ok.

• T&Ps for your LO. That is a very scary thing to have to deal with. Please keep us updated!

(Oh, and I'm happy to hear that about the back arching!)

TTC#1 Oct 2010
    DS born May 2013
    TFAS Feb 2016
    EDD 07/29/2017
  • kmcd23kmcd23 member

We're home!

He did have a gagging episode at the hospital, but again, not the same severity. It didn't affect his vitals at all, though he didn't do the breath holding thing either.

The consensus at the hospital is that he's very healthy, and sometimes babies do whacky, scary things. They don't agree with the pedi that it's reflux related. They think it's more like what a PP mentioned - a forceful suck, a strong letdown, and maybe the swallow reflex isn't keeping up, especially as he gets sleepy, which is when it happened the first time.

So they sent me home with instructions on how to use the infant CPR method to resolve choking, and to follow up with the pedi.

Mostly I'm extremly relieved there is nothing seriously wrong, but I'm also a little frustrated that after all that, we just have a theory that it's just weird baby stuff, and no way for me to keep it from happening again.

They did suggest a lot of reflux-y tools, like sitting up after feeding, sleeping on an incline, and burping often - all of which we already do. But I'll burp even more often I guess, and have him sit up even longer. I'm a little concerned about the sleeping on the incline, because I noticed he's been chin to chest in the RNP, and if I use a rolled up blanket or thin towel behind him, he gets pissed. He's still flailing too much for the crib, and it's too hot to swaddle. So I'm not sure what the best way to get him on an incline is, where he'll actually sleep.

But regardless, we are super happy to be home. Well, I am. I think he misses all the attention. Those nurses we're loving him a lot! lol. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"