Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

What is THE best toy your toddler has?

I'm trying my best to keep toys to a minimum, but I do see value in having a moderate amount of really good toys that hold educational or developmental value while sustaining my child's attention. So, I'm looking for a couple more to add to my son's (who, btw, LOVES anything animal, car, or train related) collection.

Please, ladies, give me some suggestions of your all-time favorite toy(s) for this toddler stage that both you and child enjoy :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: What is THE best toy your toddler has?

• Options
    I'll go first...Fisher Price Little Peoples Zoo Talkers. Our little guy has learned all his animal sounds through this toy. Plus, he can use it as a ramp for cars. And, he plays with it everyday, too!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    It changes constantly. Right now, he is in love with his etch-a-sketch thing (the board that they draw on and erase, whatever that's actually called), and his Thomas and friends plastic railroad with Cranky in the center. He will drive those trains around forever.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    aeh72aeh72 member

Right now, DS is pretty obsessed with his MegaBlocks.  He's so proud of himself when he puts them together. It's really cute!  But, what's not cute is him slinging them all over the place - so there is that to consider! 

He also has a couple of different farm animals toys that he loves - a Little People Farm set and a small plush barn that comes with 4 little plush animals that make noise (I think my mom found that at Buy Buy Baby). 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I say this everytime. Thomas wooden railway.  It's his absolute favorite and he plays with it for hours. He loves his trains (sleeps with Thomas) and likes taking apart and helping us put together the track. He's named his trains, some keep their original names, most don't. It's cute.

His next favorite are his tonka trucks.  He pushes them all over and has a system down with them.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • Options

Plastic kitchenware. Seriously, all the toys in her room go unused, but give this child a couple funnels and a spoon and she'll sit for hours. She's got a dedicated stash in our kitchen.

Besides that, the only actual toy dd loves right now is her megablocks.  

Anniversary
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    A shopping cart or stroller. DD2 pushes those things all over the house! They wouldn't work if you have carpet everywhere but she thinks she is soo cool when she has one of those two items. And on the plus side, DD1 still plays with them too!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

Our 14 month old loves the shopping cart, a push train (Winnie the Pooh from Target), a tent we got from Ikea, the Little Tikes Grill (with pretend food), and Legos Duplo.  All the other toys including the Little People toys go unused.  My 3 yr old also loves all of the above. 

• Options
    Hands down, puzzles.  He pulls out his puzzles 3-4 times a day.  Next would be his shape sorters.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Water/Sand Table 

Toy kitchen with play food

Lego Duplo sets (especially cars)

Playmobil sets (especially vehicles of any kind - we take away tiny pieces)

• Options

DH found a Melissa & Doug activity cart that has been AMAZING for DD (13 months).  https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1171405/melissa-doug-activity-cart.jsp

Technically, it says for ages 3+, but we just didn't unwrap the individual blocks or the chalk box.  It is all wooden (which is so much better, IMO, than flashy annoying electronic toys) and has wheels on the bottom and is the perfect height for her to play at. It has a magnetic chalk board on one side, an abacus on another, shape sorters on another, and drawers on the 4th side. It has wooden tools and shapes, wooden blocks on the top tray for older kids to play with, and magnetic animals that DD loves to play with.  Plus, she loves pushing her little cart around - she'll play with it for an hour by herself. It's great!!

She also loves her baby doll that her aunt got her and the assorted sports balls that we have at the house. 

Between those and her books, she is set!

PitaPata Dog tickers

• Options
    As far as educational, he loves the tupperware shape ball thing.  He'll bring it over and I work on it with him naming the shapes as he finds their place.  He's gone from being frustrated to get them to fit, to getting them in like a pro.  He can pick out many of the shapes if you ask now too, and we'll work where he picks the shape first then the slot, and vice versa. I will occasionally have him trace the shape with his finger too.  He really does like it.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    LC122LC122 member
    our dog
  • Options
    Right now, DD's three favorite toys are her push walker, her crayons, and her tambourine.  She LOVES that tambourine.  She dances and everything while she's banging away on it.
  • Options

DS chose a Duplo set to give DD for her first birthday.  Both kids love playing with those, and now DS keeps asking for his own Duplo sets (mostly Cars sets), even though he is nearly 4 and also has regular Legos.  Just thought I'd chime in about Duplo since they seem to be appealing for a wide age range.

They also both love books, balls, and cars.

DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Options
    Seriously pots/pans, my cell phone, the remote. DD has has so many toys and barely plays with any of them.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    wychets said:
    Seriously pots/pans, my cell phone, the remote. DD has has so many toys and barely plays with any of them.
    Glad I'm not the only one, DH constantly threatens to throw out every toy in the house since they are just "clutter" oh well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    wychets said:

This and also Tupperware with lids, measuring cups, spoons, spatulas, and boxes. Basically non toy items.
  • Options
    A shopping cart or stroller. DD2 pushes those things all over the house! They wouldn't work if you have carpet everywhere but she thinks she is soo cool when she has one of those two items. And on the plus side, DD1 still plays with them too!

This!  DD LOVES her shopping cart.  Our house is carpeted but she has no problem pushing it around.  She puts her dolls and stuffed animals in it.  We are looking into getting her a stroller for her baby dolls.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    emberlee3 said:

DS chose a Duplo set to give DD for her first birthday.  Both kids love playing with those, and now DS keeps asking for his own Duplo sets (mostly Cars sets), even though he is nearly 4 and also has regular Legos.  Just thought I'd chime in about Duplo since they seem to be appealing for a wide age range.

They also both love books, balls, and cars.

My mom still has our duplos from when we were kids. We played with them forever. Grammy is getting LO them for Christmas, I think they offer the freedom to build whatever so imagination is used, but they stay "cool" for quite a few years!

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I second the dog.  Get a Lab.  Best Toddler Toy EVER.

I was trying to be a minimalist but people keep giving us hand-me-downs and my kid loves toys.  I seem to be in the small minority where most of what we have is used quite a bit, especially the annoying plastic things I said I'd never have in my living room. His favorites:

Any Ball of any Shape or Size
    3 Tiered Melissa & Doug Geometric Stacker - Gets me a long shower anytime I want one
    Mega Blocks - Especially the large car base
    Green Toys Fire Truck
    Battat Pull Back Cars
    Regular Crayons 24 Pack - He scribbles a tiny bit but mostly takes them in and out.
    Bins of Books - not into reading yet but loves moving them around
    Fisher Price Piggy Bank
    Fisher Price Doorway - huge and horrible but a favorite
    Baby Einstein Bach Musical Chimes, Drums, Harmonica, Music Toys.

We don't have a play kitchen but he'll play with his cousins for hours at a time.  I am working on making him one for Christmas. I think that would be his #1 if we had one.

• Options
    I said the dog previously and I stand by that, but I will add:
    Books - we have a lot of books with simple basic words that our DD loves to flip through and "read". We read them together but she is constantly flipping through them by herself and recognizing the words and saying them. It's awesome to watch.
    Musical Toys - we have a M&D piano and a xylophone and a version of one of those band in a drum sets and a bunch of miscellaneous others.
  • Options
    This train table and a box of Hot Wheels. It has hills and tracks and roads built in, and I gave him the cars to use with it since trains frustrate him bc he can't keep the pieces together. I have never in my life seen a child so excited about toys.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Step2-Canyon-Road-Table-Lid/4837473 (Ships for $5 and is super easy to assemble)

DS is 21 months old and his play is still very sporadic and disorderly, in case you need a point of reference.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Options
    I said the dog previously and I stand by that, but I will add: Books - we have a lot of books with simple basic words that our DD loves to flip through and "read". We read them together but she is constantly flipping through them by herself and recognizing the words and saying them. It's awesome to watch. Musical Toys - we have a M&D piano and a xylophone and a version of one of those band in a drum sets and a bunch of miscellaneous others.
    Pretty much all of this. DS loves playing with our dog, "reading" books, and banging on his xylophone. He loves music and loves to dance.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My 15 month old DD loves:
    • Anything with wheels that she can push - including her pushcart/walker thingy and trucks.  This girl LOVES trucks
    • Anything that makes noise - instruments, wooden spoons, annoying plastic musical toys her Nana buys her...
    • Anything with buttons, especially remote controls.  She nearly broke the A/C in her room by playing with the buttons.
  • Options

I have found that any type of 'play' be it with a toy, dog, or household object fosters our LO to invent, create, daydream and learn! So I have not felt too much pressure to buy or collect a bunch of toys.

That said my 23 month DS loves:

-Music! guitars, microphones, dancing

-slides

-basketball hoop

-bikes or anything he can ride on/in ( we have a sweet electric car which I have used to teach 'Stop', 'Go' and other confounds

-swimming! ( I swear by this! I have used the dive rings to teach blowing bubbles under water, colors, counting, and clean up)

- play kitchen ( I got ours at Ikea for 15$! all of their food is not plastic and can be washed!)

Ohh!! Melissa and Doug makes really cute felt food which I have had fun teaching DS "pretend" with.  

- shopping cart! https://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/shopping-cart/?pkey=dkitchens&

- puzzles; the first words, animals, numbers, trucks, sounds, etc books

- "little guys"! A sesame street toy came with a bunch of minature characters! I just found a set of 30 disney characters for 19.99$ at Homegoods!

- Play vacuum https://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/silver-dyson-play-vacuum/?pkey=dkitchens&

- drum set

-bubbles

-fridge magnets

- CLIMBING stations! and big blocks!

-ballapalooza! https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Cruise-and-Groove-Ballapalooza/dp/B007J3FAJ2/ref=sr_1_84?ie=UTF8&qid=1377557077&sr=8-84&keywords=toddler+toys

Okay, I will stop! I swear we do not have a lot of toys! But what we do have DS loves, and I see him growing and learning every day! I admit, I learn a lot too!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    DS loves his matchbox cars. He collects them and puts them into boxes. He loves to push them down the slide. But his favorite thing to do is put them in a purse and wave bye bye
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"