Baby Names

Gwyneth

My new obsession... from what I researched, Gwyneth is the more traditional spelling, while Gweneth is a variant of it. 

Though it's the more traditional spelling (which I'm always a fan of), I've been "traumatized" by the random "y" for "e" and other vowel names lately, so I can't help but see that:( 

What are your thoughts, and do you like the name? How would it sound as a sib-set with Victor?

Thanks! 

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Gwyneth

• A Y isn't always random.  There are a lot of names that have a Y in them that are legit spellings ( Kyle, Sydney, Tyler, Myra, Cynthia).

It's just a semi recent trend to spell an otherwise common name in a "unique" way, and one of those ways is to replace an I with a Y.

Gwyneth is lovely.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• It's a legit Y. If you spelled it Gwynyth, then we'd have to talk ;)

I'm not a fan, but if you love it, go for it.

• Loading the player...
  • That trend just bothers me so much! I'm seriously traumatized, it's like any y I see I question it LOL
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I love it, and I think it sounds good with Victor.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageHelenahhandbasket:
    A Y isn't always random.nbsp; There are a lot of names that have a Y in them that are legit spellings Kyle, Sydney, Tyler, Myra, Cynthia.It's just a semi recent trend to spell an otherwise common name in a "unique" way, and one of those ways is to replace an I with a Y.Gwyneth is lovely.

This!
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• love it and its a great sibset!
  • Love this name. It is very similar to Gwendolen, which is on my short-list for future girls.

• I agree with you ? the Y trend makes me look sideways even at legit Ys!

But this is a legit Y, so all's well. It's a lovely name with a cute nn. That said, Gwyneth Paltrow kind of ruins it for me, but that's just personal preference.

• zg49zg49 member

I like Gwyneth! I don't really like it spelled Gweneth, which is odd because I usually see Gwyneth NN Gwen which looks "correct" to me.

I also like it with Victor!  

• I love Gwen. Gwyneth is just ok for me..it's rough sounding.
  • It is very pretty and I think it sounds great with Victor.  I personally don't care for Gwyneth Paltrow BUT I really don't think that young kids will have any idea who that is so I doubt it would matter. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• Love the name and love the sibset!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • much prefer the traditional Gwyneth. I also do like this name and thinks it pairs well with Victor. 
  • I think either spelling is fine.  I prefer it with the "y".  I love it with Victor.

imageimageimage

Trying to get knocked up since June 2012 ~ Dx: PCOS

BFP 7.24.13 ~ EDD 4.2.14 ~ m/c  9.16.13 @ 11w4d

BFP 5.4.14 ~ EDD 1.12.15 ~ stick little bean!

TTGP 2013 Best Blog ~ Fruit ~ My BFP Chart 

• I don't like random y's either but some names are traditionally spelled with a y... that's just how it is. I love Gwyneth and I think Gweneth looks weird. It goes very well with Victor.

• I don't get the appeal of Gwyneth though I do like the name Gwen. If you do choose Gwyneth, go with the traditional spelling. It works as a sibset with Victor
     J (08/04/07) F (10/28/09) H (07/18/12) #4 (01/02/14)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"