Parenting

Facebook WWYD?

If a new coworker posts a pic of her 18m old in a car seat not buckled correctly, do you tell them? The chest clip is so low it's touching the crotch buckle, and the straps are really loose. He's FF in a Nautilus so I'm picturing him flying right out of it. What's the best way to say something without offending?

Re: Facebook WWYD?

• Are you sure the car was moving and they just hadn't finished buckling him in?

• If it was me, I would want someone to tell me my child wasn't buckled correctly.  Can you talk to her about it privately in person?  I would suggest a facebook message, but sometimes things are easier to explain in person.  
  • Loading the player...
  • I never say anything when I see pics like this. I don't know if that's the right way to go or not.
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• https://dailymomtra.com/2011/09/03/whattodowhenyouseecarseatmisuseinafriendsphoto/

This link has helped me with a similar situation. If I was not aware that I was doing it wrong, I would like someone to let me know.
  • imageSpooko:
    Do you have a good article you can forward? In a hey, I just got this and learned so much I thought I'd pass it on bc you have kids, too kind of way?

I would do this, but wait a day or two so it is not obvious it is in regards to the photo.

imageimage
  • My DD has figured out how to open or lower the chest buckle. How bad is that? Most of the time her arms are out of the chest restraint. Big oops, right?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo photosig3_zps92919c91.jpg Just said good bye Sept. 19th (MMC at 12 weeks)
  • imageNicb13:

imageByeBabyBunting:
    Are you sure the car was moving and they just hadn't finished buckling him in?

This. You have NO idea what the situation was. I really don't think I'd say anything even to a friend I know well. Guess I'm passive that way. No parent wants to be told they are doing something wrong, even if you are just trying to be helpful.

I DO NOT agree. When DS was very small I ha no idea about the dangers of placing his car seat in the front part of the cart at the grocery store. I thought because it "clicked" when I put it on, I was in the clear. Someone stopped me and told me and I went home and looked it up. I was both embarrassed AND grateful to the person that told me.

In the end, even if it hurts my pride a little, I would rather someone tell me than them keep silent and my child experience major bodily harm or die because of my mistake.

OP, I would just gently bring it up in a private conversation later on.
  • imageByeBabyBunting:
    Are you sure the car was moving and they just hadn't finished buckling him in?

It was taken from the driver seat but moving or not, I don't know. But the whole point of the pic was to show off his new car seat so you would think they would finish buckling before the picture.
  • imageMrsCodeMonkey:
    My DD has figured out how to open or lower the chest buckle. How bad is that? Most of the time her arms are out of the chest restraint. Big oops, right?

This isn't good at all...

image image
  • imageRondackHiker:
    imageMrsCodeMonkey:
    My DD has figured out how to open or lower the chest buckle. How bad is that? Most of the time her arms are out of the chest restraint. Big oops, right?

What can I do? I can't unteach her how to open the buckle. They should have made it tougher to unbuckle it.

photo photosig3_zps92919c91.jpg Just said good bye Sept. 19th (MMC at 12 weeks)
  • Join the group Car Seats for the Littles and then post as your status something like, "I just joined this informative group and highly recommend it to anyone with a child in a car seat!" I did that and so far two of my "friends" have since joined and turned their young children back to RF.
  • imageMrsCodeMonkey:
    imageRondackHiker:
    imageMrsCodeMonkey:

What can I do? I can't unteach her how to open the buckle. They should have made it tougher to unbuckle it.

I've heard of people who put the pokey part of Velcro on the snap bc kids don't like it. I'm not sure. The seat won't do any good with the chest clip undone.

image image
  • Nope. I have a closeish friend who's kid is usually in so loose that she could just climb out. Seriously there might as well not even be a buckle. She is 3 and might as well just use the seatbelt. And I've never said a thing. I repost articles to FB sometimes but I don't know if she reads them.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I would PM her or share an article about carseat safety. She's the one who pisted on FB for all to see. If she gets mad, oh well.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imageMrsCodeMonkey:
    imageRondackHiker:
    imageMrsCodeMonkey:

you can put a button up shirt on her, leave it open until you clip her in and button it over the clip. You can try the hard side of Velcro, stuck to the outer part of the clip. You can reinforce how it's not ok. But do NOT continue to let her do this.

The chest clip isn't there for what you think. It is there to keep her straps in the right place. It itself, is designed to break away in a high velocity accident.  But if her arms are out I can guarantee her straps are not aligned properly therefore potentially making a fatal seat. Are the straps in the right slot? If she is ff they need to be at or above her shoulder. If she is rf,at or below. They should also be tight enough that you cannot pinch vertically at the collar bone. "Snug as a hug" 

The Mob Boss 
    Birth: 10lbs 11oz, 21.5 inches <> 1 mo: 14lbs 7oz, 23.5 inches
    2mo: 18lbs 15oz, 25.5 inches <> 4mo: 26lbs 8oz, 27.5 inches6mo: 29lbs 8oz, 30 inches <> 9mo: 32lbs, 32 inches12 mo: 37lbs, 34.5 inches <> 15 mo: 38lbs 6 oz, 36 inches. 20.5 inch noggin18 mo: 43lbs, 37.75 inches 21 inch head2yr: 47 lbs, 42 inches. 21.5 inch head. Woah.  

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"