May 2013 Moms

Shopping carts - dumb ?

Okay, this is silly. But I've yet to go out to some place like Target or the grocery store with my LO because I'm not sure where to put him. lol

Can you put a carseat on top of a shopping cart? I hear conflicting things like "you're not supposed to, but people do it anyway" but I'm not quite sure. What do you all do?

Re: Shopping carts - dumb ?

• imageclw617:

Okay, this is silly. But I've yet to go out to some place like Target or the grocery store with my LO because I'm not sure where to put him. lol

Can you put a carseat on top of a shopping cart? I hear conflicting things like "you're not supposed to, but people do it anyway" but I'm not quite sure. What do you all do?

I put it on the top and it felt really unsteady and made me nervous, so I just keep her carseat in the basket.  I can't get as many groceries, but we make do.  

• I know some carseats have hooks that go on top. Ours doesn't so she either is in the basket or I am wearing her. Also we have done stroller with a mommy hook holding a basket. Those hooks are amazing.
  • Loading the player...
  • Target carts svck for putting the car seat on top! The top of cart has too much give so I place the car seat in the basket. LO's car seat has a notch on each side of the bottom in front that looks like it is for hooking onto shopping carts.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Me (32) DH (34) | |
    BFP #1 4/5/12 | Natural m/c on 4/18/12 (6w1d)
    BFP #2 8/23/12 | DS born 5/3/13
    BFP #3 12/6/15 | DD born 8/23/16
    BFP #4 2/22/19 | EDD 10/28/19
  • kmcd23kmcd23 member
    imageMrsM1111:
    I know some carseats have hooks that go on top. Ours doesn't so she either is in the basket or I am wearing her. Also we have done stroller with a mommy hook holding a basket. Those hooks amazing.

Yup, carseat in the basket, or in the stroller.
  • It depends on the store. At Target I felt like the carseat did not fit well in the cart, but at Stop and Shop it felt pretty secure.
    ETA: I also love the Mommy hook!
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
    O14 January Signature Challenge: Snow Fails
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • delinodelino member
    It's so unsafe to put the carseat on top of the stroller. I put it in the basket or wear her.

Eta..cart not stroller
    3 ectopic pregnancies (EDD's 1/30/12-tube removed, 6/2/12-methotrexate and 10/2/12-methotrexate)
    IVF and Natural FET resulted in BFN's and a hole in our wallets
    Natural BFP #4 on 9/7/12 gave us our miracle on 5/18/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Car seats are not meant to go on top of carts....I know it stinks because you can't fit much in the cart if the car seat is in it, but it's better to be safe than sorry!

I saw a lady at the store the other day that had a baby in a car seat on top of the cart in a fleece bundle me thing....it was 90 degrees outside... and her cart was full of cases of beer. I tried hard to not judge her.
  • pnutgpnutg member
    We get 2 carts. One for baby, never on top, and one for groceries. I have yet to grocery shop alone obviously. It's not convenient but it's safe.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • So not a dumb question! I'm a FTM and when I went to the Jewel with my LO for the first time the other week I had the same thought where do I put him? Like the pp, I put the car seat carrier in the cart. My LO gets a confused look on his face if the shopping cart makes too many bumping noises! Poor guy!
  • Put the seat in the basket and put a handheld basket underneath. Or in the area where an older kid would sit. Never on top. A quick google search will show you how dangerous it is.

View Full Size Image

• Absolutely do not put the car seat up on top -- I see so many people doing this but it's not safe at all.  Even if you think it clicks in, it's not secure.  Most places are putting the warning signs directly on the carts now (though people still ignore it). 
  • LN1024LN1024 member

imagekmcd23:
    imageMrsM1111:
    I know some carseats have hooks that go on top. Ours doesn't so she either is in the basket or I am wearing her. Also we have done stroller with a mommy hook holding a basket. Those hooks amazing.
    Yup, carseat in the basket, or in the stroller.

Exactly this. I second the PP that said Mommy Hooks are amazing... because they are! 

• I do sometimes put the carseat on top. It depends on the cart, but many times the carseat fits well and locks in place. I am always in arms reach of my baby, and I feel that it is safe.

When I have 2 kids with me, the baby goes in the main part of the cart and the toddler sits up top. I have not tried all 3 kids yet.
  • Oh yeah, and I see that many people are critical of having a carseat on the top of the cart, but I do want to caution against putting a baby in the top, sitting, without a carseat. When I worked in a store I saw parents put the baby sitting in the top, walk away a few steps, and the baby leaned forward and fell out of the cart to the floor.

Strapped into a carseat is a far better idea, as is always keeping one hand on the baby.
  • be888be888 member
    We go grocery shopping on my husband's day off. I do smaller trips with the stroller, and use the basket underneath. Can't wait for him to fit in the Ergo. Thanks for the tip with the Mommy Hook, I have one and haven't used it yet. 

BabyFruit Ticker
    16 Ch. du Barrage, Lac-Beauport

• I push the stroller with one hand and drag the cart with the other... Mad skillz
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I use my Moby wrap or put him inside the basket part. Takes up a lot of the grocery space but sometimes I put a hand basket under the cart part for extra storage and use the child seat part. The big kids ride on the sides. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • I won't do the carseat on top- it makes me nervous. So I either put LO's carseat in the cart or when I need a lot, I put her in my ergo. 

IMG_5977lb
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

• Car seats should NEVER go on top of carts no matter how secure it seems! If the cart gets hit, baby goes down.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"