2nd Trimester

How to hold in your pee?

I'm going to get my ultrasound to hopefully figure out the gender of my little one in about three weeks, the doctor informed me the i have to drink 32oz of water prior to my appointment and keep it held in. I am not very good at holding my bladder, so I decided to drink 32oz of water everyday and hold it as long as I can for practice(I can only hold it for about 30mins... yikes!). I've been researching tips to hold your pee but I was wondering if any of you guys had tips that worked for you that you guys would share with me!

Re: How to hold in your pee?

• Oh dear.  That sounds like torture.  I have no advice, just wanted to say good luck.  I can barely hold my pee for 30 minutes too.  Maybe chug the water in the waiting room, hopefully your scan won't take longer than 30 minutes.  
  • Hmm, I am not sure. I thought I read it was not good to hold in your pee while pregnant. I am interested in what you learn.
    Me:37 DH:40 Married 7/2009 TTC since 5/2012 
    BFP 4/2013, Our Christmas Miracle Due 12/18/2013
  • Loading the player...
  • No tips here, but I have never had an ultrasound with a full bladder so I wouldn't worry about making sure you hold the whole 32 oz. I am sure you will be fine. GL!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • bel194bel194 member
    A friend of mine had to drink a lot of water before her anatomy scan too but they had her go to the bathroom halfway through. Maybe they will have you do the same too and you won't have to hold it that long. She that they told her it helps to get the baby to move in case they need to get a better view I guess.
    BFP #1: due 6/17/2013, DD born 6/25/13
    BFP #2: due 6/30/2017, MMC found 12/7/2016
    BFP #3: due 10/21/2018 
  • imagebel194:
    A friend of mine had to drink a lot of water before her anatomy scan too but they had her go to the bathroom halfway through. Maybe they will have you do the same too and you won't have to hold it that long. She that they told her it helps to get the baby to move in case they need to get a better view I guess.

This is exactly what happened to me at my 12-week u/s.  I drank as much as they told me to prior to coming and then when they put the probe on my belly, made me get up and go to the bathroom. 32 oz. sounds like too much -- my doc advised me to drink 10-20 oz. prior to coming in.  Maybe they say that amount figuring most women will drink a lot less...? 

Lilypie - (V9Ze)
  • Butting in from 1st tri...I never drank as much water as they tell you too.  Drink about half and you'll be fine, I promise.  Anytime I drank what they told me, my bladder was too full and they have you pee in a little cup, then stop.  That's torture!  I would drink 16oz and be done drinking about 1.5 hours before your appointment.  Even still, by the time you go, you'll have to pee so bad...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've had a lot of ultrasounds in my 7 pregnancies. When they say "drink 32 oz two hours before the ultrasound", I actually just drink 12-16oz thirty minutes before. I've always had a full enough bladder.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • I think they just tell you 32 oz because some people can drink a lot before having to pee.  If I drink a regular size bottle of water, my bladder feels like it will burst within 1/2 hour.  I haven't had my anatomy scan yet but when I had an u/s of my bladder and kidneys a few years ago, I just drank @ 20 oz right before my appt and was good to go.
  • shiwayshiway member
    I never drank as much as they told me either and still had trouble. But every time I asked if it was enough and they said I did great. They also let me go half way through but said not to let it all out. My sister had an ultrasound and she didn't know about the water thing so she didn't drink any extra water at all and they had no trouble! Don't stress!
  • They only made me hold it for about 10 minutes then let me pee. Apparently they only need your bladder full for a few of the measurements. Total relief because it was torture!
  • They only get you to drink the water to help push your uterus out of your pelvic bone, once you're past about 12 weeks it's pretty much pointless anyway, so I wouldn't worry about drinking the whole amount, try half and take a bottle of water with you just incase
  • They just want you to have a full bladder.  So, drink as much as you need for a full bladder.  I wouldn't force more into your body if you don't need it.

• Don't stress, you dont actually need to drink that much for your anatomy scan. The baby is already up higher and should be lots of amniotic fluid for the tech to see through. There's no way I could drink that much! I've only ever drank a couple glasses of water before my ultrasounds and been fine
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagejuliane2004:

I've had a lot of ultrasounds in my 7 pregnancies. When they say "drink 32 oz two hours before the ultrasound", I actually just drink 12-16oz thirty minutes before. I've always had a full enough bladder.

This.  Just drink a cup of water on your way to the appointment and then bring a bottle of water with you and drink some while in the waiting room.  You'll be fine.  You really need the most water during the first U/S usually around 8 weeks when there isn't too much in you and they need the water to help see the baby.  By 20 weeks baby is much much bigger. 

• They told me to come with a full bladder and then they ended up having me use the restroom because my bladder was too full to see everything they needed to see. Once I emptied my bladder they could still see everything very easily. That was at 15 weeks.
  • imageMelly Mel:
    No tips here, but I have never had an ultrasound with a full bladder so I wouldn't worry about making sure you hold the whole 32 oz. I am sure you will be fine. GL!

This... I haven't worried much about it and was fine every time. 

Edit: typo 

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
    Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"