Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Blanket in crib

What's the age where it's finally ok to use a very lightweight blanket in the crib? My DD got her 6 month shots today and wiped out after screaming for two hours before I could get the sleep sack on. I'm tempted to cover her from the waist down with an Aden blanket but I know we aren't supposed to use blankets. Damn shots!
Our little Samosa arrives in January!

Re: Blanket in crib

• We use an A&A blanket in the crib frequently.  LO really likes one at naptime.
    my read shelf:
    Erika's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Oct Angel Babies Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Maybe we're doing the wrong thing, but baby seems fine:  We've been using a light duvet for about a month now- from about five months.  We cover him from the armpits/waist down, and baby sleeps fine.  We haven't had any issues with it being pulled up over his face during the night.

• Loading the player...
  • imagetevagirl:
    We use an Aamp;A blanket in the crib frequently.nbsp; LO really likes one at naptime.

This for us too... But we still use a sleep sack at night.
  • My DS has slept with a receiving blanket for rhe last few weeks. He likes to rub it against his face. We have a movement sensitive monitor so that helps calm my nerves but I'm sure he would be fine. He's 8 months.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• If they're able to turn their heads at will, they're fine to have a thin blanket. 

We use a crocheted blanket and DS loves it. He loves sticking his fingers in it and it's the perfect way to keep the chill off of him without getting too warm.  

EDD#1 12/5/12 Born 11/21/12 My LB is better than your LB.BrittanyDoesDerby 4 LYFE!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    EDD#2 2.20.16 I love you already! <3

BabyFruit Ticker
    FEB16 Siggy Challenge Fave TV mom
  • Dd sleeps with a crochet knitted style blanket. She won't sleep without it. She has to hold it when she nurses too.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • We use one. I tuck it in around the sides and go chest-high. I was worried about it earlier but she needed it to sleep. Lately, she really seems so mobile that I don't think it's really such an issue anymore.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I probably won't give LO a full size blanket until he's a year. Right now he has the aiden anais security blanket and it's great!!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We've been consistently using a blanket in their cribs for a few weeks now.  They love to cuddle with it prior to going to sleep at nap time and bed time and both of them just move it away from them when they don't want it anymore or it's bothering their face.
  • The pedi told me not till DD is 18 months old.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  •  our LO has almost always had a little or lightweight blanket with her.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My DS won't fall asleep unless he has a blanket over his face. I just make sure to pull it down before I go to bed. Most of the time he's pulled it over his face again when I wake up. I guess I could take the cover away, but if I but him in a sleep sack he picks his legs up and slaps them down over and over again and won't sleep.
  • imageDCKate:
    What's the age where it's finally ok to use a very lightweight blanket in the crib? My DD got her 6 month shots today and wiped out after screaming for two hours before I could get the sleep sack on. I'm tempted to cover her from the waist down with an Aden blanket but I know we aren't supposed to use blankets. Damn shots!

LO has a security blanket he likes to snuggle when sleeping, he's had it in crib for about a month. He's 6 months.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LO has had a blanket in his crib (or two or three) since birth. 

No swaddle, no sleep sack. Just a sleeper and blankets since day one. He's fine. 

• My LO's 8.5 months and we still aren't giving her a blanket for nap or bedtime. She stopped being swaddled around 3 months and now just sleeps in footie pjs. She's nice and warm so I'm not worried about that. I always thought you were supposed to wait til their older for blankets? She's constantly moving from one side of the crib to the other (she likes to curl up in a ball on her stomach in the corner of the crib) so IDK how long a blanket would really stay on her anyway. Plus, I like the idea of her being able to nap and sleep without "needing" a specific blanket. I've seen what happens if a child's ready for bedtime and can't find their blankie. I'm trying to put that off as long as I can. :)
  • imagecarteramariec:
    My DS won't fall asleep unless he has a blanket over his face. I just make sure to pull it down before I go to bed. Most of the time he's pulled it over his face again when I wake up. I guess I could take the cover away, but if I but him in a sleep sack he picks his legs up and slaps them down over and over again and won't sleep.

This! Eli will not sleep without a blanket!! 

• My son has slept in his crib with a blanket since he was 10 weeks old. I tucked it in at the sides under his armpits. It's summer here and his room can get pretty warm during the night, and now that he sleeps on his stomach he sleeps in just a short sleeve onesie and a thin receiving blanket, which he kicks off most of the time anyway.
  • We use sleep sacks. I didn't give my son a blanket till he was 3
  • I started a blanket with DD at age 1, or maybe just before. This was in addition to a sleep sack as she started using the blanky more as a lovey than as a cover.

Now she is 2.5, and she uses her blanky as a cover and as a lovey. I stopped sleep sacks at probably 15 months or so.

My personal opinion is that I wait until the child can roll both ways with ease and easily repositions themselves while sleeping. At that point, I see no danger in a blanky.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • My LO is 8 months and we have been using a lightweight blanket for about the last 2 months.  We have a video monitor and check on her frequently.  She cuddles with the blanket and we feel that it has a soothing effect...
  • I know everyone says you're not supposed to use a blanket but DD will not go to sleep without one. She likes it against the side of her face along with her special monkey. And im not kidding when I sat she will scream until you give it to her. I think if they can roll over in the crib, they are fine with a blanket.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • ObLaDiObLaDi member
    hmontty said:
    My personal opinion is that I wait until the child can roll both ways with ease and easily repositions themselves while sleeping. At that point, I see no danger in a blanky.

My pedi said that once baby meets these parameters, it's safe to have one small item.

We've had an Angel Dear lovey in with him for about a month now. He likes to have it right up against his face, which used to make me anxious, but now that I can see how easily he moves it around I feel better.
  • ObLaDi said:
    hmontty said:

My pedi said that once baby meets these parameters, it's safe to have one small item.

We've had an Angel Dear lovey in with him for about a month now. He likes to have it right up against his face, which used to make me anxious, but now that I can see how easily he moves it around I feel better.
    Yep. The idea, as far as I see it, is that when a child is really little, he or she does not have the neck or body strength to move his or her face away from an object that might be blocking the airways. By the time a child can roll, he or she is able to move away from something blocking the airways, and this happens pretty much automatically -- much like with us.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We stopped using sleep sacks after a trip to visit my sister in June when he was six months. He and I shared a bed and slept under a heavy duvet while there. Since then he's slept in his crib under a light, crib-sized duvet tucked under his armpits with no problems. He's never pulled it over his head or near his face and it's been fine.
  • We use an A&A swaddle blanket folded in half or a similar sized receiving blanket tucked tightly at the foot and sides of her co-sleeper. We've been doing that since she was about 3 months (she's 8 months now). More recently she's started chewing any blankets we put in the crib with her, so we got her a couple of those A&A security blankets and she loves them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"