Trying to Get Pregnant

Finally, a diagnosis!

It's been a few weeks since I've been on here. Some of you may remember my post about taking a break from TTC due to an upcoming missions trip to Honduras. Or maybe my frustrating no show period? Today I am on CD 182, but hope to be seeing CD 1 in about a week!

I was referred to an OB last month. My appointment was last Tuesday and he told me that I have PCOS. He gave ne a ten day prescription of Provera, of which I am on day 8, in hopes of me finally having a period.

I am quite excited to finally have some answers and a plan of action! I'm trying to stay positive because I know this isn't serious and many women are able to get pregnant with PCOS. Any experience from the ladies here would be fantastic!

Wishing you all the best of luck and hope you get your BFPs soon!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Finally, a diagnosis!

• Glad you got some answers and are moving forward. I just did a round of Provera and my period showed 2 days later. Cheers for a new cycle! 
    **~Future Mama to my June "Sprout"~**
    EDD- 06/13/2017
    **Stinkerbelle-8-27-10 * Mr.P's 2nd Mama 7-27-07**
    TTGP's 2013 Sweetest Bumpie <3 

• No and no again. My dr said the ultrasound wasn't necessary right now. My symptoms match up with PCOS. We're not currently TTC. His main concern is that I have a period. If the Provera doesn't do the trick then he said my estrogen would be low too.

Edit: Sorry GhostMonkey I should have quoted you.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageGhostMonkey:

So you had blood work done 179 days ago and an ultrasound sometime since then? Both blood work on CD3 and an ultrasound are required for a proper PCOS diagnosis.

Yes Thank you. I was really starting to question all the testing I had done. How did this Dr come to that dx? A single blood test 100+ days into your cycle? What is your treatment plan? Are you IR?

My OB sent me straight to an RE, she wouldn't even attempt to diagnose it. I had a full cycle of testing and a 3hr GTT. I'm not saying you don't have it, but OBs seem to be diagnosing it left & right, & just throwing Metformin at you. 

Me: IR-PCOS, elevated DHEAs, low progesterone, weak ovulation  DH: low volume, low T
    SHG 5/10/13: both tubes blocked; HSG 6/28 = Left tube cleared! Right blocked.
    BFP#1 7/20/13 EDD 3/30/14, m/c 8/19/13, D&E 8/21/13, Chromosomal results = normal, female
    Lap & hysteroscopy scheduled for 10/31, right tube cleared, no endo found! ...Happy Halloween!
    Cycle 14: Clomid (50)+ IUI = BFP! EDD 9/16/14~ Rowan Elizabeth born sleeping at 17w4d on 4/12/14 due to IC.
    ~There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world~
    New RE June 2014. RPL b/w - negative. SIS looking for uterine/cervical abnormalities & Asherman's 6/10/14 - ALL CLEAR!  
    Cycle 16: Natural IUI = CP, Cycle 17: Femara (2.5) + IUI = BFN, Cycle 18 Femara (5) + IUI = BFFN, Cycle 19: Break
    Cycle 20: Clomid (50)+ IUI = BFP EDD 6/20, transvaginal cerclage 12/19, Carson Quinn born sleeping at 16w3d on 1/6/15 due to IC
    Phone consult with Dr. Haney (Univ of Chicago) for transabdominal cercalge scheduled for 2/9/15.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams."
    image image imageimage 
  • imagePalmtrees09:
    No and no again. My dr said the ultrasound wasn't necessary right now. My symptoms match up with PCOS. We're not currently TTC. His main concern is that I have a period. If the Provera doesn't do the trick then he said my estrogen would be low too.

I had a bunch of symptoms too. I was also not trying to get pregnant at the time. I They still wanted ultrasounds to actually see what my ovaries were doing.  

Me: IR-PCOS, elevated DHEAs, low progesterone, weak ovulation  DH: low volume, low T
    BFP#1 7/20/13 EDD 3/30/14, m/c 8/19/13, D&E 8/21/13, Chromosomal results = normal, female
    Lap & hysteroscopy scheduled for 10/31, right tube cleared, no endo found! ...Happy Halloween!
    Cycle 14: Clomid (50)+ IUI = BFP! EDD 9/16/14~ Rowan Elizabeth born sleeping at 17w4d on 4/12/14 due to IC.
    New RE June 2014. RPL b/w - negative. SIS looking for uterine/cervical abnormalities & Asherman's 6/10/14 - ALL CLEAR!  
    Cycle 16: Natural IUI = CP, Cycle 17: Femara (2.5) + IUI = BFN, Cycle 18 Femara (5) + IUI = BFFN, Cycle 19: Break
    Cycle 20: Clomid (50)+ IUI = BFP EDD 6/20, transvaginal cerclage 12/19, Carson Quinn born sleeping at 16w3d on 1/6/15 due to IC
    Phone consult with Dr. Haney (Univ of Chicago) for transabdominal cercalge scheduled for 2/9/15.
    image image imageimage 
  • imagebeckynsean11:
    imageGhostMonkey:

So you had blood work done 179 days ago and an ultrasound sometime since then? Both blood work on CD3 and an ultrasound are required for a proper PCOS diagnosis.

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

Yes Thank you. I was really starting to question all the testing I had done. How did this Dr come to that dx? A single blood test 100+ days into your cycle? What is your treatment plan? Are you IR?

My OB sent me straight to an RE, she wouldn't even attempt to diagnose it. I had a full cycle of testing and a 3hr GTT. I'm not saying you don't have it, but OBs seem to be diagnosing it left &amp; right, &amp; just throwing Metformin at you.&nbsp;

I had bloodwork and a pap done May 1 when I had my first appt in regards to my missing period. Two dr had no idea what was going on so they referred me to an OB. I was expecting him to do tests but he didn't. He asked me questions, and then told me he thought I had PCOS. I didn't argue because the symptoms fit. And at this point the only thing he's prescribing me is Provera, which is what I was expecting to get from the beginning. He mentioned Metformin as an option down the road.

Okay, I'm a newb, sorry, IR?
  • imagePalmtrees09:
    imagebeckynsean11:
    imageGhostMonkey:

My OB sent me straight to an RE, she wouldn't even attempt to diagnose it. I had a full cycle of testing and a 3hr GTT. I'm not saying you don't have it, but OBs seem to be diagnosing it left & right, & just throwing Metformin at you. 

I had bloodwork and a pap done May 1 when I had my first appt in regards to my missing period. Two dr had no idea what was going on so they referred me to an OB. I was expecting him to do tests but he didn't. He asked me questions, and then told me he thought I had PCOS. I didn't argue because the symptoms fit. And at this point the only thing he's prescribing me is Provera, which is what I was expecting to get from the beginning. He mentioned Metformin as an option down the road. Okay, I'm a newb, sorry, IR?

IR is Insulin Resistance. So he didn't even run blood work to check your hormone levels? It's my understanding that Provera will start your peroid, but it's not going to treat the root problem (someone correct me please). I don't remember, is this your first long cycle? What is the plan for next cycle?  

image image imageimage 
  • imagebeckynsean11:
    imagePalmtrees09:
    imagebeckynsean11:
    imageGhostMonkey:

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

My OB sent me straight to an RE, she wouldn't even attempt to diagnose it. I had a full cycle of testing and a 3hr GTT. I'm not saying you don't have it, but OBs seem to be diagnosing it left &amp; right, &amp; just throwing Metformin at you.&nbsp;

I had bloodwork and a pap done May 1 when I had my first appt in regards to my missing period. Two dr had no idea what was going on so they referred me to an OB. I was expecting him to do tests but he didn't. He asked me questions, and then told me he thought I had PCOS. I didn't argue because the symptoms fit. And at this point the only thing he's prescribing me is Provera, which is what I was expecting to get from the beginning. He mentioned Metformin as an option down the road.

IR is Insulin Resistance. So he didn't even run blood work to check your hormone levels?&nbsp;It's my understanding that Provera will start your peroid, but it's not going to treat the root problem&nbsp;(someone correct me please). I don't remember, is this your first long cycle? What is the plan for next cycle?&nbsp;&nbsp;

I was hypoglycemic, but my last bloodwork showed my blood sugar was on the higher side of normal and that really surprised me. My understanding is that since I'm not TTC this moment he wasn't too concerned about actually treating it. He just wanted me to have a period because it's been so long. Before BCP I never had regular periods. I would go a month or 2 with no AF and a couple of times I went 3 months. I go back to see him in a couple months. In the meantime I'm supposed to lose weight, which unfortunately is easier said then done.
  • imageGhostMonkey:
    imagePalmtrees09:
    imagebeckynsean11:
    imagePalmtrees09:
    imagebeckynsean11:
    imageGhostMonkey:

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

IR is Insulin Resistance. So he didn't even run blood work to check your hormone levels?&nbsp;It's my understanding that Provera will start your peroid, but it's not going to treat the root problem&nbsp;(someone correct me please). I don't remember, is this your first long cycle? What is the plan for next cycle?&nbsp;&nbsp;

I was hypoglycemic, but my last bloodwork showed my blood sugar was on the higher side of normal and that really surprised me. My understanding is that since I'm not TTC this moment he wasn't too concerned about actually treating it. He just wanted me to have a period because it's been so long. Before BCP I never had regular periods. I would go a month or 2 with no AF and a couple of times I went 3 months. I go back to see him in a couple months. In the meantime I'm supposed to lose weight, which unfortunately is easier said then done.

Higher side of normal is still normal. And it does not indicate insulin resistance.

Long story short- your doctor has no clue what s/he is doing.

&nbsp;

Oh I know! He did not say I was IR, I was just now making an observation of my own.

I have to say this is really bumming me out. I was so happy to finally have answers and a plan of action, but now I have no clue if my answers are even correct.

Thank you for your honesty and for sharing your knowledge with me. I appreciate all that I learn from you ladies, even if it isn't what I want to hear!
  • imagePalmtrees09:

I agree, you need to have your period. It's been way too long! 

Treating PCOS really has nothing to do with whether or not you're TTC, which is the point I was trying to make earlier. I was years away from TTC at my original dx. The affect PCOS has on your ovulation/cycle is only part of the problem. The way my Dr explained it to me, treating the hormonal imbalances is the first step. One of the results of that is usually a regulation of your cycle. If you are IR, treating that(along with an IR diet) can help your body lose weight. PCOS is a group of symptoms, so what your specific issues could be, I have no idea. Honestly if your Dr doesn't run blood work & do ultrasound(s), how can he know either? The symptoms kind of all play on each other. Inducing your period right now is great, but it's not treating the cause of your long cycle. 

This Dr is slapping a label on you because the symptoms "fit", maybe he's right. It all sounds exactly like what I had going on. But there should be some kind of test before a dx is given, dontcha think?

ETA: I'm not saying you're IR. If your last blood work was a 1 time draw, it might not even show it. Mine looks normal at that time too. The 3 hour test showed a totally different story because they were able to introduce a high level of glucose into my system & see exactly what happened. I'm not trying to bum you out. I know how relieving it is to get a diagnosis. I'm trying to encourage you to educate yourself, that's all.   

image image imageimage 
  • imagebeckynsean11:

imagePalmtrees09:

I agree, you need to have your period. It's been way too long!&nbsp;

&nbsp;Treating PCOS really has nothing to do with whether or not you're TTC, which is the point I was trying to make earlier. I was years away from TTC at my original dx. The affect PCOS has on your ovulation/cycle is only part of the problem. The way my Dr explained it to me, treating the hormonal imbalances is the first step. One of the results of that is usually a regulation of your cycle. If you are IR, treating that(along with an IR diet) can help your body lose weight. PCOS is a group of symptoms, so what your specific issues could be, I have no idea. Honestly if your Dr doesn't run blood work &amp; do ultrasound(s), how can he know either? The symptoms kind of all play on each other. Inducing your period right now is great, but it's not treating the cause of your long cycle.&nbsp;

This Dr is slapping a label on you because the symptoms "fit", maybe he's right. It all sounds exactly like what I had going on. But there should be some kind of test before a dx is given, dontcha think?

&nbsp;

ETA: I'm not saying you're IR. If your last blood work was a 1 time draw, it might not even show it. Mine looks normal at that time too. The 3 hour test showed a totally different story because they were able to introduce a high level of glucose into my system &amp; see exactly what happened. I'm not trying to bum you out. I know how relieving it is to get a diagnosis. I'm trying to encourage you to educate yourself, that's all. &nbsp;&nbsp;

Oh I know. I'm not upset with you. I had a slight nagging feeling that the dx came too easily. But I really wanted this to be it.
  • imagePalmtrees09:
    Oh I know. I'm not upset with you. I had a slight nagging feeling that the dx came too easily. But I really wanted this to be it.

I know that feeling! It might be right, I certainly can't tell you. All I can do is share what I've learned to the best of my ability. Hopefully if I said anything that is incorrect, GM will correct me. I will add this, once I had the diagnosis & was being treated, my cycle regulated & I began ovulating.

image image imageimage 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"