October 2013 Moms

HTT: Hobby Lobby

So I am obviously in the dark and casually mentioned to DH that I had some errands to run one being Hobby Lobby (Ive never been, thought it might be cheaper then Michaels) He gives me this look of disgust that I would ever consider shopping there.  The owners are very religious and think contraception is wrong, therefore, they are fighting the gov't to allow them not to include birth control options to their employees per their insurance coverage.  

My question to you is are there items you wont buy or places you would not shop because morally you feel it would be supporting something you dont believe in.  

image  image
Baby Muffy Due July.8.2015!

Re: HTT: Hobby Lobby

• I wound up going to Michaels instead and maybe paid more.  I don't really care if the owners do/dont use birth control but I think its pretty ridiculous to say none of your employees who are of different beliefs cant have it.  
    image  image
    Baby Muffy Due July.8.2015!

• Wow I had no idea that they were fighting about that. I shop at Hobby Lobby at least every other weekend and this really sadens me. I love the store and their awesome sales however, I do not approve of what they are fighting for.
    Lilypie - (x1UE)                                               

photo f5b87909-fb54-49d9-91f2-1c11ca11c6c6_zpsb539db06.jpg 

• Loading the player...
  • RedZeeRedZee member
    Yup. I think the most powerful way to protest is to decide where you will spend your money.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DD1: born 1/19/11. DD2: born 10/10/13
  • I refuse to shop at Hobby Lobby, eat at Chik-fil-a or order from Papa John's (cause that guy's a douche who doesn't want to pay for health insurance for his employees). I also don't give to the Salvation Army or shop at Wal Mart.
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • imageRedheadBaker:
    Absolutely. I won't eat Chik Fil A or shop at Hobby Lobby. I also won't shop at any pet supply stores that sell live animals.

I was just thinking of you the other day. How are you doing? 

• AjoydAjoyd member

imagehas615:
    I wound up going to Michaels instead and maybe paid more.  I don't really care if the owners do/dont use birth control but I think its pretty ridiculous to say none of your employees who are of different beliefs cant have it.  

This plus they're closed on Sundays which I find really flucking annoying! 

Married my love 8-25-12 TTC #1 September 2012. BFP 2-2-13. DS born 10-16-13.
    TTC #2 in December 2014. BFP 12-31-14. Expecting a September baby!
  • Their values/beliefs are just that theirs not mine. As long as they aren't trying to push it on me I don't care. I have known about this case and I say good for them as a big business for standing their ground even if I may not agree with it. But I will continue to shop there as long as they have what I need.
  • Hum, ok, I will not shop at Abercrombie, mainly because I am not 16...and I love Chick-fil-A, and do not really care what their CEO's opinion is; so, I guess, if it's food driven and I like their food...I will go back!

Um, Chick-fil-A. ::drools::

ETA...these people do not have to work at Hobby Lobby if they don't agree with their policies. I'm just sayin'. 

photo f5b87909-fb54-49d9-91f2-1c11ca11c6c6_zpsb539db06.jpgimage
    imageimagehttps://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/07/a4ee8a96ea9a5b36f67716d2e4a85b.jpg

• No, it plays no part in my shopping habits.

BTW... for all my crafting supplies, I get as much as I can at Jo-Ann's because they take multiple coupons plus competitor's coupons, FWIW.

Pregnancy Ticker

• I won't shop somewhere if I have moral issues with how they treat employees human rights type stuff. For example, I don't shop at WalMart.

However, ehile I do not agree with chickfila's gay marriage stance, I do think they have the right to this opinion. They don't exclude gay people from working there, etc. I also think they treat their employees really well.

Regarding hobby lobby, again, I believe in birth control, but I also support the company's right to not include it in part of their insurance plan if it was for contraception purposes; I do think they should include it for other issues that it is prescribed for. If they whole heartily don't believe in contraception, I don't blame them for not wanting to assist/pay for its coverage. I would have an issue if they prohibited their employees from taking it, however.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    DSC_0552-2  Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • The only stores I will not buy things in are pet stores who sell animals. I also wouldn't eat at KFC after that whole scandal where the employees were videotaped abusing the chickens, but I never ate there anyway, so it's kind of a moot point. We don't have any Chick-fil-A's around here.

I do try to avoid Hobby Lobby and Wal-Mart. It annoys me that HL is closed Sundays and the people who work there are pretty weird- I always see this one car whenever I'm there, and it has bumper stickers all over it about how marriage should be between a man and women, etc. Also, one of the cashiers was really rude to a friend of mine not too long ago, but what made it even worse was when she went back to buy more of the same thing (mason jars), and the same cashier told her a story about someone else who bought a bunch of mason jars, and it was the story about her! Helloooooo!

--------------------------------------------------------------

imageimage

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageAmjoy25:
    Hum, ok, I will not shop at Abercrombie, mainly because I am not 16...and I love ChickfilA, and do not really care what their CEO's opinion is; so, I guess, if it's food driven and I like their food...I will go back! Um, ChickfilA. ::drools:: ETA...these people do not have to work at Hobby Lobby if they don't agree with their policies. I'm just sayin'.nbsp;

Agreed. I love chickfila and personally believe in what they stand for. Also, if an employee doesn't agree with the company's beliefs, then leave? I'm not saying I agree with their health plan but there are plenty other minimum wage jobs out there.
  • imageRedheadBaker:
    Absolutely. I won't eat Chik Fil A or shop at Hobby Lobby. I also won't shop at any pet supply stores that sell live animals.

I agree with all of this!

photo 45ad94ec-8f7e-4e11-afa6-d58d009e0ecb_zpse556e368.jpg  image image

• I tend not to shop at place that I feel treat their employees negatively or like people have mentioned, pet stores that treat animals inhumanely.

As far as Hobby Lobby,  I feel that they have a right to run their business according to their beliefs.  They don't force their beliefs on me and until the Obama Care issue came up they weren't actively crusading to get contraceptives off the insurance of every business place.  They just do what they feel is right for the type of business they decided to establish.  If I need something from there I will buy it.  They pay their employees well and are very charitable from what I have researched.  Employees know going into the job the companies stance of religion, birth control, etc.  

I'm not particularly religious, and I am very independent political wise.  I do think however if you as a person feel extremely strongly about a certain issue it is absolutely your right to not shop there as a way of protest. 

• imagetashad18:

I tend not to shop at place that I feel treat their employees negatively or like people have mentioned, pet stores that treat animals inhumanely.

As far as Hobby Lobby,  I feel that they have a right to run their business according to their beliefs.  They don't force their beliefs on me and until the Obama Care issue came up they weren't actively crusading to get contraceptives off the insurance of every business place.  They just do what they feel is right for the type of business they decided to establish.  If I need something from there I will buy it.  They pay their employees well and are very charitable from what I have researched.  Employees know going into the job the companies stance of religion, birth control, etc.  

I'm not particularly religious, and I am very independent political wise.  I do think however if you as a person feel extremely strongly about a certain issue it is absolutely your right to not shop there as a way of protest. 

So for argument's sake, what if the owners of a large business were Jehovah's Witness and didn't want to cover blood transfusions? What if they believe venereal disease is a punishment from God for fornication and don't want cover that treatment? What if they believe organ transplants are morally wrong?Is that ok? Where does it end, this deciding what not to cover? Who is to say what is sincere belief and what is the company wanting to cut costs?

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • imageRedheadBaker:

Same for me on all of this. To go further i don't purchase products that participate in animal testing either. Which usually means I spend more money on everything but it is well worth it in my eyes.
  • imagesleepy33:
    imagetashad18:

I tend not to shop at place that I feel treat their employees negatively or like people have mentioned, pet stores that treat animals inhumanely.

So for argument's sake, what if the owners of a large business were Jehovah's Witness and didn't want to cover blood transfusions? What if they believe venereal disease is a punishment from God for fornication and don't want cover that treatment? What if they believe organ transplants are morally wrong?Is that ok? Where does it end, this deciding what not to cover? Who is to say what is sincere belief and what is the company wanting to cut costs?

I can get on board with you sleepy, but then 'Merica needs to not allow private companies or institutions...socialization will need to be mandatory. And while I think that's a fabulous idea, 'Merica cannot get behind being so liberal. So, until we collectively agree that we should be run differently, we allow companies and other institutions to be private and make their own rules.

Sleepy for President! Amjoy for VP!

imageimagehttps://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/07/a4ee8a96ea9a5b36f67716d2e4a85b.jpg

• I don't have chick fil a or hobby lobby here but if I did I would probably still go there. People are gonna go there no matter what their political beliefs are.  There are probably plenty of companies out there I spend my money on that don't agree with my beliefs.  
                                                     imageimage
                                        Lilypie - (JNST)image
                                         Lilypie - (aqIx)
  • imageAmjoy25:
    imagesleepy33:

I can get on board with you sleepy, but then 'Merica needs to not allow private companies or institutions...socialization will need to be mandatory. And while I think that's a fabulous idea, 'Merica cannot get behind being so liberal. So, until we collectively agree that we should be run differently, we allow companies and other institutions to be private and make their own rules.

Well, that's the end result of my logical train, obv. I think unfortunately it will have to reach a situation like that before people are actually willing to take a risk on real nationalization of health care. 

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • imageRedheadBaker:
    imagesleepy33:
    imagetashad18:

they'd be running a business, not a ministry. They cannot force their employees to abide by their beliefs. N/m, read the whole quote tree, and see that we're really on the same side. Oops.

Ok good, I was just about to say I am confused...Smile

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • 100%. I will never go to Chik-fil-A or Hobby Lobby. 
    Oct 13 April Siggy: Bunnies
    The 33 Most Important Bunny GIFs On The Internet

DS born on 9/30/13 from IVF #1.2!
      Lilypie - (xNS5)
  • Flame me but IDGAF about it and I will continue shopping at Hobby Lobby. The employees do have a choice to work there or not, yes I know the economy is hard but honestly I think they could easily find a job elsewhere. I also eat my Chick Fil A and love every bite.

• imagesleepy33:
    imageAmjoy25:
    imagesleepy33:

Well, that's the end result of my logical train, obv. I think unfortunately it will have to reach a situation like that before people are actually willing to take a risk on real nationalization of health care. 

Oh and also, health insurance should not be dictated by your job. That is all.

• Now it makes sense on why so many older people work there.  I did not know this about the BC.  Everyone in this country gets to live by their own beliefs.  Just because I don't believe what they do doesn't mean I won't shop in their stores.  

And I love me some Chick-fil-a.   

• So, you guys who won't go to a pet store that sells animals... reasons? Is this ALL pet stores that sell animals. I mean, I have definitely known a couple of pet stores who had live animals that were great places and great to their animals. My dad was the vet in town so I knew more than most. We actually sold some baby guinea pigs at one of them a couple of times. I'm just sort of surprised by how many of you posted that and I am curious now. I definitely don't like the big super store pet stores but I don't really have a problem with the small, family owned stores. 
    Anniversary

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• It is impossible to know the opinions of every owner if every store that I shop at. I could say no to one store because somehow it was said to the public and turn around and give my money to another store that has the same beliefs but just isn't public about it.

That being said, it wouldn't make a difference. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I support that. I will not push my beliefs on anyone.
  • imageMrsStuessyWI:
    So, you guys who won't go to a pet store that sells animals... reasons? Is this ALL pet stores that sell animals. I mean, I have definitely known a couple of pet stores who had live animals that were great places and great to their animals. My dad was the vet in town so I knew more than most. We actually sold some baby guinea pigs at one of them a couple of times. I'm just sort of surprised by how many of you posted that and I am curious now. I definitely don't like the big super store pet stores but I don't really have a problem with the small, family owned stores. 
    FYI I worked for both family and super huge pet stores in management.  Let me tell u the super store took MUCH better care of their animals.  We spent thousands of dollars on vet care, would do surgery for tumor removal on rats and then put them up for adoption for free because they couldn't be sold after surgery. People have no idea the care that went into providing healthy animals and MOST of the large chains did the proper thing and we would not sell any animal to a customer who did not buy the proper habitat.  For instance, we would not sell a feeder goldfish to someone who bought a bowl.  You had to buy a ten gallon tank in order to properly house a goldfish. When a customer would call the company to complain about us not selling it to them the company would back us up.  Meanwhile at the mom and pop store they used to kill rats and mice for customers who wanted snake food by putting them in a paper bag and slamming them against a wall. So, there is your animal care lesson for today.
                                                     imageimage
                                        Lilypie - (JNST)image
                                         Lilypie - (aqIx)
  • imageMrsStuessyWI:
    So, you guys who won't go to a pet store that sells animals... reasons? Is this ALL pet stores that sell animals. I mean, I have definitely known a couple of pet stores who had live animals that were great places and great to their animals. My dad was the vet in town so I knew more than most. We actually sold some baby guinea pigs at one of them a couple of times. I'm just sort of surprised by how many of you posted that and I am curious now. I definitely don't like the big super store pet stores but I don't really have a problem with the small, family owned stores. 

My personal opinion on this that they will sell a pet to ANYONE; they don't do a background check or any research on who they giving this pet to. 

photo 45ad94ec-8f7e-4e11-afa6-d58d009e0ecb_zpse556e368.jpg  image image

• The Hobby Lobby here in Topeka, KS also donates supplies to the Westboro Baptist "church". I do not shop there, ever. 

• imagebkeane619:
    imageMrsStuessyWI:
    FYI I worked for both family and super huge pet stores in management.  Let me tell u the super store took MUCH better care of their animals.  We spent thousands of dollars on vet care, would do surgery for tumor removal on rats and then put them up for adoption for free because they couldn't be sold after surgery. People have no idea the care that went into providing healthy animals and MOST of the large chains did the proper thing and we would not sell any animal to a customer who did not buy the proper habitat.  For instance, we would not sell a feeder goldfish to someone who bought a bowl.  You had to buy a ten gallon tank in order to properly house a goldfish. When a customer would call the company to complain about us not selling it to them the company would back us up.  Meanwhile at the mom and pop store they used to kill rats and mice for customers who wanted snake food by putting them in a paper bag and slamming them against a wall. So, there is your animal care lesson for today.

That is definitely interesting. I do know for a fact that the small business pet stores I was referring to did NOT treat their animals badly like you talked about above. I suppose some of the large chains could very well treat their animals like you said above, but I just wouldn't know for certain. Whereas the stores where I knew the owners and how they treated their animals I knew for sure. You know? Also, my family didn't shop at the chain stores because they sold pet medicine that my dad also sold for cheap and often times with no prescription and without much regulation. So, he never liked them. Again, I'm sure not all but there are some. 

Anniversary

• imageallymp13:

imageMrsStuessyWI:

My personal opinion on this that they will sell a pet to ANYONE; they don't do a background check or any research on who they giving this pet to. 

This is a good point.  

Anniversary

• imagemstal0929:
    The Hobby Lobby here in Topeka, KS also donates supplies to the Westboro Baptist "church". I do not shop there, ever. 

I was like, how the heck is there someone here from Topeka that I've never seen before?? Then I realized you're November. Hi! I work in Topeka, live in Lawrence.  And I hate the Phelps, obv. Smile

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • imagesleepy33:

imagemstal0929:
    The Hobby Lobby here in Topeka, KS also donates supplies to the Westboro Baptist "church". I do not shop there, ever. 

I was like, how the heck is there someone here from Topeka that I've never seen before?? Then I realized you're November. Hi! I work in Topeka, live in Lawrence.  And I hate the Phelps, obv. Smile

haha Hi!! I got bored in November and came over here. Your guys' HTT are always interesting to read :) 

• imageMrsStuessyWI:

imagebkeane619:
    imageMrsStuessyWI:

That is definitely interesting. I do know for a fact that the small business pet stores I was referring to did NOT treat their animals badly like you talked about above. I suppose some of the large chains could very well treat their animals like you said above, but I just wouldn't know for certain. Whereas the stores where I knew the owners and how they treated their animals I knew for sure. You know? Also, my family didn't shop at the chain stores because they sold pet medicine that my dad also sold for cheap and often times with no prescription and without much regulation. So, he never liked them. Again, I'm sure not all but there are some. 

I don't know about selling any prescription meds. I know my company did not. They would totally charge more price wise for products, no denying that. I no longer work for them but I have to say the amount of time and energy, and educating our customers about animals was something to be proud of. It was our number one priority, customers did not come first, our animals did.
                                                     imageimage
                                        Lilypie - (JNST)image
                                         Lilypie - (aqIx)
  • imageawwwpuddin:

imageWino0920:
    It is impossible to know the opinions of every owner if every store that I shop at. I could say no to one store because somehow it was said to the public and turn around and give my money to another store that has the same beliefs but just isn't public about it. That being said, it wouldn't make a difference. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I support that. I will not push my beliefs on anyone.

Obamacare is stupid. Flame away.  

Oh boy!

• imageawwwpuddin:

imageWino0920:
    It is impossible to know the opinions of every owner if every store that I shop at. I could say no to one store because somehow it was said to the public and turn around and give my money to another store that has the same beliefs but just isn't public about it. That being said, it wouldn't make a difference. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I support that. I will not push my beliefs on anyone.

THIS. unless you are 100% self sufficent in every aspect of your life, live with no running water, electricity, etc you are giving your money to something you won't agree with. If you live in America you have the right to believe what you want, you have the right to own a business, and you have (for the most part) to run your business how you want to.

and also: Chick-fil-a was minding their own business until they were ASKED what their opinion was, and it was their right to answer the question truthfully. 

Ok, for me there is a big difference between not caring what the business owner thinks and not caring if the business owner uses their money and power to contribute to political campaigns and organizations that I am morally opposed to. Chick Fil A has given a LOT of money to organizations that are anti-gay and pro 'gay conversion'. I find it disgusting and I won't patronize their store. Is their management free to think whatever they want? Sure. But when they so blatantly use their money to support politics I don't agree with, I'll reserve my right not to do business with them. It works both ways.

As for your last sentence, it's hard to flame something that has absolutely no substance or depth. Expound a little bit, I'm sure I'll find a way.

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • imageRedheadBaker:
    imageMrsStuessyWI:
    So, you guys who won't go to a pet store that sells animals... reasons? Is this ALL pet stores that sell animals. I mean, I have definitely known a couple of pet stores who had live animals that were great places and great to their animals. My dad was the vet in town so I knew more than most. We actually sold some baby guinea pigs at one of them a couple of times. I'm just sort of surprised by how many of you posted that and I am curious now. I definitely don't like the big super store pet stores but I don't really have a problem with the small, family owned stores.nbsp;

Primarily because they come from mills and irresponsible breeders. Mills produce more than just puppies.

Between 4 and 7 million companion animals are euthanized each year because stores like these will sell to just anyone.
    I understand if you don't agree with animals being pets. The company I worked for supported adoption greatly. Customers who would no longer want their pets were welcome to bring their pets back and we would try and find good homes for them, as well as the animals in the store that had gone through some sort of medical treatment whether it be a bite on an ear from another animal that had healed to the fact the animal had been in the store for more than a couple of months. We would always show these animals to customers looking for a new pet first. Also, when it comes to the vendors when I was there about 3 years ago they were going towards smaller and smaller breeders that were local to cut down on transport issues and health issues. They had strict guidelines and surprise visits from the animal care team to make sure try were following proper practices and I'm sure they are even better now. If we had issues with the health of animals coming in we could report the information and I can tell you many vendors were dropped and as every year passed the standards improved. We made absolutely no money off of our animals compared to the care they got. We supported local cat and dog adoption agencies and raised thousands of dollars for them and they can all tell you how supportive the company was in times of need for them. As for selling to anyone, absolutely not. Like I stated above we were allowed to say no to a customer who would not properly care for their animal.
                                                     imageimage
                                        Lilypie - (JNST)image
                                         Lilypie - (aqIx)
  • Mae208Mae208 member
    imagemancila60:
    Their values/beliefs are just that theirs not mine. As long as they aren't trying to push it on me I don't care. I have known about this case and I say good for them as a big business for standing their ground even if I may not agree with it. But I will continue to shop there as long as they have what I need.

Ditto this!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagebkeane619:
    imageMrsStuessyWI:

I should clarify. I don't shop at pet stores that sell animals that can be easily adopted here in NYC. Which are Rabbits, dogs, and cats. There are too many of these animals that are homeless and no one should be buying them. Fish, lizards, etc I'm ok with since it is not something you can rarely get at a shelter.

• imageNRyan55:
    imagebtimes3:
    imageawwwpuddin:

imageWino0920:

I'm not going to flame you for your last comment because I don't really care what you think of Obamacare.  Know why?

https://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_makifxWW9o1qm03a6.gif

YesYes 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"