June 2012 Moms

What are you teaching LO?

As is, what are you currently teaching your LO? I had been singing head, shoulders, knees, and toes to AJ awhile back, but I had stopped. Yesterday, the little girl I sit for, who is a month older than AJ, pointed out her eyes and belly. I totally forgot that I need to be proactive about teaching body parts at this stage. I'm just wondering what everybody is teaching. I've been singing the ABCs, naming things we come across, and explaining situations more. I feel so behind though; my daughter doesn't know the difference between her nose and mouth! :
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What are you teaching LO?

• Ack! I haven't really started body parts yet, either. I do sing the Hokie Pokie when I dress and undress him (so he gets arms, legs, head, and maybe a beginning of left and right concept). And I holler, "Ah! My nose!" when he grabs it. Mostly we've just been naming objects around him as his new favorite activity is pointing at things and saying, "Zat?" as in, "What's that?" We're also doing animal sounds. DS will now answer when I ask him what sounds are made by a cow and a monkey (when he feels like it).

• We point out body parts in the bath tub while washing.  (like, let's wash K's arm, belly, etc) but I don't drill her on them or anything :)

Yesterday with my mom she started pointing to (and saying) nose, head, and ears.

We've been doing more with animals lately than anything else, names and sounds.  

image   image

• Loading the player...
  • I ordered first 100 words series of picture books and have been reading these with DS. We also sing interactive songs like, if you're happy and you know it...DS knows when to clap his hands etc..

it feels like I was teaching him a lot in the infant stage and thought maybe he's too young, then all of a sudden, we hit the 1 year mark and its like, now I'm behind. How the heck did that's happen? ;( 

• DD picked up on body parts just from me talking to her about what we do. She can show her hair, head, foot, mouth, teeth. I am not particularly aiming for teaching this and that, it comes up as part of the conversation.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Lately I've been teaching him farm animals and the sounds they make. I started when we got a wooden farm animal puzzle. He doesn't say any of the sounds yet though.

I also go over colors, numbers, and first words books. He likes them because they have flaps in them that he can lift.

I need to start going over body parts more. I do once in awhile but should do it more.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think we're a little more passive when it comes to "teaching." I kind of just follow DS. He sticks his arms out one at a time while i get a shirt on him and picks his feet up one at time for shorts/pants. So I'll say "right arm through!" or whatever and "pull your shirt down/shorts up!"

He's been pointing out noses and eyes and we name them when he does, then point out his own. Name his feet when getting shoes on. We name animals in his books when he points to them. Name the colour of a toy he's playing with, name objects and what the do when he points to them, etc. He always wants to play in the dog's water dish and pick it up so I give him containers in the bath and we fill them up, pour them into eachother. He constantly tries to carry heavy things around so we talk about heavy and light, big and small. Likes to put small things in big things so we'll try different things to see what fits ( eg. different sized balls into an empty tissue box It all just comes up naturally. There's no real concentrated effort. i kind of just follow whatever he's doing or interested in at the time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageunaveragejane:
    Ack! I haven't really started body parts yet, either. I do sing the Hokie Pokie when I dress and undress him (so he gets arms, legs, head, and maybe a beginning of left and right concept). And I holler, "Ah! My nose!" when he grabs it. Mostly we've just been naming objects around him as his new favorite activity is pointing at things and saying, "Zat?" as in, "What's that?" We're also doing animal sounds. DS will now answer when I ask him what sounds are made by a cow and a monkey (when he feels like it).

My sweet girl is learning the hokie pokie too!  She started putting in her "right hand" today :)  We did this alot at swimming so I think that helped :)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I feel like I am way behind too. We do try and name body parts, animals etc but DD isn't totally getting it yet. She can point to a nose on her bunny but not on herself haha. What she has learned which I think is so funny... we read "5 Little Monkeys"  lot because she loves it. When I read it to her I always shook my finger "no" when the book said "No more monkeys jumping on the bed" and now when she wants us to read her that book, she brings it over and shakes her finger "no".
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • BRBR member

imagealizabethanne:
    I feel like I am way behind too. We do try and name body parts, animals etc but DD isn't totally getting it yet. She can point to a nose on her bunny but not on herself haha. What she has learned which I think is so funny... we read "5 Little Monkeys"  lot because she loves it. When I read it to her I always shook my finger "no" when the book said "No more monkeys jumping on the bed" and now when she wants us to read her that book, she brings it over and shakes her finger "no".

My daughter does the same thing!  And now when I tell her no she shakes her finger at me and I have to turn around and hide my laugh.

She only knows her nose and we've been working on the animal sounds.  Everything she points to I tell her the name, but I don't know if she actually remembers what I say.  It's amazing though how much they understand at this age.  I can tell her to do things like hand me something or sit down and she understands.  I'm thinking a lot of their learning just comes from being talked to in every day situations. And also from reading books over and over.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"