May 2013 Moms

EBFing mommas with good sleepers

DS is EBF and we're struggling to get past 5 hour chunks of sleep. Tips, tricks that work for you?

Re: EBFing mommas with good sleepers

• He'll be 10 weeks tomorrow.
  • be888be888 member

I seriously think that it has to do with luck, and each baby is different. Our baby is 2 months today, and has been sleeping more than 5 hour stretches since when he has been back to birth weight at about 5 days old.

He now sleeps from about 8 pm to 5:30 am. He cluster feed in the evening and the morning, and we swaddle him to sleep. He usually falls asleep at the breast, and I try waking him to do a full feed, before we put him in bed for the night. We tried putting him to sleep later to have him sleep later in the morning, but it did not work. Best of luck, I wish I could be more helpful with tips!

BabyFruit Ticker
    16 Ch. du Barrage, Lac-Beauport

• Loading the player...
  • It's luck. I have done the same routine every night, played around with my timing, etc. and we still have good nights and not so good nights. What have you tried that doesn't work?

My guy is 11 weeks and has just recently started to STTN on a consistent basis. He's given me at least one night a week at 5 plus hours since we got home from the hospital. At about 6 weeks it bumped up to two nights a week. We are currently on a four day streak of 7 to 8 hours at night.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks ladies. I'm hoping one day it just happens. DS1 was an amazing sleeper from early on but he wasn't EBF. I didn't realize how spoiled I was !

We have a bedtime routine and he eats from both sides before going to bed. He always wakes up around 2:30 and 5:30. Maybe I'll try cluster feeding through his fussiness at night and see if that helps.
  • DS is 11 weeks and EBF and the longest stretch I get is 3.5 hours. I am so jealous of everyone in this post!!!
    married 7.18.12   DS1 4.29.13   EDD 11.23.14

my happy boy

• I agree that long stretches seems to be luck. All 3 of my kids were EBF and they were very different sleepers, even though I was essentially doing the same thing with all of them.

While annoying, it helps to remember that getting up every 2 to 3 hours at night is normal and not a developmental concern. A lot of brag posts on here might make you think that your child should be sleeping all night, but it is ok if your baby does not. My first two kids were having at least one nighttime feeding until 6 months old.
  • Definitely luck!! 
  • imagemslynn2012:
    DS is 11 weeks and EBF and the longest stretch I get is 3.5 hours. I am so jealous of everyone in this post!!!

I'm glad I'm not the only one! One time I got 4 hours and now I'm lucky to get 3! And DS weighed 11.8 at 6 weeks. Everyone kept telling me once he hit ten pounds he'd sleep through the night! Lies, all lies!

• imagemaymomNY:
    I am under the impression that is totally normal and to be expected after a conversation with my pediatrician and from speaking with other moms.nbsp;

This. Some babies sleep and some don't. My DD started STTN at three weeks. My DS typically only sleeps 4 to 5 hours and he is 7.5 weeks. I have a friend whose three year old has never STTN.
  • I think every baby is different on this one, just like adults everyone's stomaches hold different amounts. So in your case maybe your LO isn't taking a big enough feed to stay full for longer. My started STTN at 8 weeks but I know this isn't the norm for most. She also eats for a solid 30 mins before going down for the night.
  • wjvwjv member

Some strategies do work, especially when babies get a little older, but ultimately, it depends on the baby! My first son didn't sleep longer than 1 1/2-2 hours for 10 months and he was formula fed! Needless to say I am happy with the 3-5 hours I get with this boy and he is breastfed! It is just so hard being sleep deprived, but it will happen and it will be wonderful!

I thought the same thing the other day that I could not believe that some babies were sleeping 7, 8, 9, 10 hours! Amazing! Then I realized that my son is still younger and really it is quite normal for babies to still be waking up for middle of the night feedings.  He obviously needs it since he gulps away and usually gets a full feed.  Your baby will not do this forever! 

Anniversary Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't understand how people are putting their lo's to bed. My daughter will not go to bed unless she falls asleep in our arms and even then she will only stay asleep when she's good and ready. It's frustrating for me because she doesn't want to go down until 11 or midnight every night.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"