Birthday Parties

WWYD: pulled pork, Ramadan, and SIL's friends...

I'm throwing my husband and his twin sister a birthday party, and most of SIL's friends are in Ramadan right now (when they don't eat anything until the sun goes down). They also don't eat pork in accordance with their religious customs.

I was going to do pulled pork (since it is something other than hot dogs and hamburgers. I was looking at the posts below for some ideas), but also something else as a main dish so as not to offend her friends, even though they aren't eating since the party is at 2pm. My SIL said they will NOT be eating for sure, if they do come.

So what would you do? Not make the pulled pork, make the pulled pork and something else, just the pulled pork, something else? 

As a side note, they may not even come...and I told my SIL that I could do something like pizza and ice cream for her and them after the sun went down.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: WWYD: pulled pork, Ramadan, and SIL's friends...

• Honestly, if they are a big part of SIL's life then I might wait until sundown to throw the party so that all invited guests can equially participate.  Especially since you say this restriction applies to "most" of her friends.

Also, if I were fasting then I would probably not go to the party.

Otherwise I think your plan to serve a meal after sundown makes sense - maybe they'll only show up for that?  But I'd definitely want to have them rsp before shelling out for pizza and ice cream.

• Like PP, I'd consider having the party later when the Muslim guests could eat.  However, if the sun is going down as late in your area as it is in mine, that might not be feasible.  At this age a party that starts at 9 pm is a bit late for me!  In that case I'd have baked ziti or something else really easy to make that they could eat.  I don't know these people, but my experience with people of any religion is that some pick and choose what to observe.  You may find that there are a few who won't eat pork, but will eat during Ramadan.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageBluenoser4ever:
    I've made BBQ pulled beef the exact same way as pulled pork. I use the Club House spice pack and the crock pot. It tastes so good and your Muslim friends will be able to eat it!

Yeah, I'd do pulled beef or even chicken. The sun hasn't been going down here until 9 or later so an after sundown party wouldn't be feasible here. I'd schedule the party for later and make sure there was enough foods and varieties of foods for all of the guests to enjoy. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageSunAndRain:

Honestly, if they are a big part of SIL's life then I might wait until sundown to throw the party so that all invited guests can equially participate.  Especially since you say this restriction applies to "most" of her friends.

this, and in either case I would substitute the pork with something else to avoid offending anyone 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • I'd skip the pork (or do another main dish as well) and have the party after sundown.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"