Trying to Get Pregnant

HSG Test

Hello, I don't post much on here just mostly lurk.  My husband and I have been trying for awhile to get pregnant and my doctor mentioned maybe having an HSG test to see if everything is ok. 

Just looking for any comments on it.  I've heard some comments that it hurts a lot.  Did you go alone or did you have someone go with you?  I know a lot of people do it because they say that it makes you more fertile afterwards.  I guess I just want to make sure everything is ok with me so I know if I should start looking for a fertility doctor.

Any thoughts on the HSG test or anything else would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Re: HSG Test

• We have been trying for over a year but only temping and using OPK's for about 4 months. I will be 35 in 2 days. 
  • For me, yes the test was painful, but it was also very quick.  Not everyone has the same experience though, some women find the test no more painful than a pap.  My husband did come with me, but he sat in the waiting room since he wasn't allowed back during the test.  The test is a diagnostic tool, I wouldn't count on it to "make you more fertile."

imageimageimageimageimage

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

September 2012: Start IF testing

DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

January 2015: FET #2 Cancelled due to lining issues

April 2015: FET #2.1

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• Loading the player...
  • I had the test done recently just minor cramping that went away almost immediately after the procedure. You shouldn't need to bring anyone with you. I had the test because it was required before I can start treatments to make sure there are no blockages.

TTC Since 11/12, PCOS
    6/13 - HSG - Clear/normal
    6/13 - SA - Normal, 4 percent morphology
    6/13 - Metformin
    9/13 First round of 50 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + TI
    9/30/13 - BFP! 
    10/7/13 - HCG 246

• I recommend getting it if you feel something could be wrong. Mine was painful but we were able to see my left tube was completely blocked and needed to be removed. It was doing more harm than good. Without the HSGI may have been trying longer with yet no rresults. I am only 24.
  • MrsRKJMrsRKJ member

I had DH come with me, but like PP's said, he had to stay out in the waiting room.  It didn't hurt for me, but I took a motrin (or 2!) an hour before the procedure just to help if there was any residual discomfort.

I don't know about making you more fertile afterwards, however I had my HSG in July 2012, and got pregnant in August 2012.

Good luck! 

Welcomed our baby boy Henry on March 15, 2013 (7 weeks early!)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTA until 2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"