March 2013 Moms

Nail Clippers

I am having a terrible time clipping my DS's nails. Last night I accidentally clipped his skin & although he didn't cry, I felt terrible.  (and it was especially challenging to put a bandaid on a 4 month old's thumb!)  An emory board/file works but it's a little tricky, too.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Are there nail clippers out there that you would recommend?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Nail Clippers

• safety first
  • I actually have an easier time with good-quality adult clippers. The infant ones with a plastic guard were a sure-fire way to trim some skin.  I try to do it while nursing or sleeping and make sure the light is good.

It is so sad when you clip them--heartbreaking! I wouldn't bother with a band-aid, it is a choking hazard.  If needed, you could hold a tissue on it and/or put a little lanolin on it.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We use the safety first baby clippers.  It took some practice, and we still struggle with her toes but it doesn't take quite as long anymore.  I found an emory board even harder to use since her nails are still so flexible.

A co-worker of mine just bit her son's nails, but I think that would be even MORE difficult.

When we were just starting ... I would take my time.  If I only clipped one nail at a time, that was ok. I'd just go back in a while and try again.

Eventually she got used to it, and now she seems to enjoy her little manicures :)

• We have safety first clippers.

DS1 -6/25/11

DS2 -3/23/13

Missed MC D&C 8/26/14

DD - 8/26/15

LO#4 due 5/30/17

• Instead of just grabbing at the nail with the clipper, slide it under from the side and once it it aligned snip.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I have the baby scissors instead of clippers. They work great!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have safety first ones too and cut dd a couple weeks ago. I cried more than she did. Now I take the same one at a time approach. Dd is just so fidgety!!!
  • Wait until they are asleep!
  • NovOwlNovOwl member
    We use scissors instead, I find it easier to see what I'm cutting.  I also wait until she is sleeping!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagetmsgrl:
    safety first

This and I do it when my son is asleep.
  • Baby nail scissors!
  • imageLucky2K13:
    I have the baby scissors instead of clippers. They work great!

This. I have a much easier time with scissors.

image image
  • Baby nail scissors are so much easier. I do it when he is napping!!
  • We had to go to ER last week bc bleeding went on for 45 minutes. Be careful!!!

imageimage 

6/20/11 mc @ 5wks
    10/19/11 mc @ 17wks- Trisomy 18
    IUI #1 4/26/12 BFN
    Moving on to IVF in July
    37 with DOR...fabulous
    ER 7/14/12 6R 5F, ET 7/17 3 embies, beta #1 7/26: 147, beta #2 7/28: 326, beta#3 7/30: 422...ugh, beta#4 7/31: 607...hopeful, beta #5 8/2: 1280, beta #6 8/7: 7184 and u/s shows 1 possibly 2 sacs! 8/14 2 beautiful heartbeats! 9/24 we are TEAM BLUE!!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"