Single Parents
Options

Child care for the single mom

I am returning to work from my maternity leave on Monday and am having my own little freak out party.  What do some of you ladies do for child care while you work?

Right now I am going to be depending on a delicate arrangement of free babysitting while I wait for child support to kick in...eventually.  I met with my supervisor and let her know there might be issues and got a "we'll try to be helpful, but we pay you money to work" kind of vibe.

My mom, former MIL, and XH are all going to be volunteering day(s).  I am going to be driving all over the place in rush hour traffic to get to all of their houses on different days of the week.  It's going to be ugly, isn't it?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Child care for the single mom

• Options
    It sounds ugly, and I really hope you can work out an arrangement soon that is better for you! I don't know WHAT I'm going to do about childcare either after my daughter is born. 
    Liliana Seraphina born 9/5/2103

• Options
    I don't envy you. I go back to work in 4 weeks and I'm dreading it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ugh, I'm sorry. I guess you can only do what you can do. Any chance someone could come to your house 1 or 2 days per week?

I'm already dreading the childcare situation. I've been a nanny for 15 years and can't imagine giving my baby to anyone else to care for 40 hours per week! However 7 weeks after my due date I have to do 10 weeks of student teaching so I have to find something.

Right now I have my dad in place but he's kind of a bstard, although he LOVEs babies. He is also hard of hearing and has vision problems. I'm pretty sure he would never put LO down, so I'm not worried he wouldn't hear or see her, I'm more worried about him not keeping track of sleep and food. I'm also worried about his ability to remain calm if she is just super fussy. It's free, and only 10 weeks, but I just don't know.

I also have a friend who has offered, but she's a little too over zealous about my whole pregnancy. She told me the other day she would just get a car seat base so she can take the baby out. Ummm, no. There is no reason for a baby to leave the house in January. Especially in a shitty old car with no safety features. This friend really has no experience with babies either.

I have a few other people that have offered too, but I think I'm going to end up with a hodge podge like yours. Nothing feels right though.

• Options
    I'm panicking because I have class tomorrow (3 more weeks of this semester left) and the person(s) I have offered to pay to babysit have accepted and then changed their minds.  Usually at the last minute.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"