Breastfeeding
Options

~*~*MSPI Moms Weekly Check-In*~*~

~*~*MSPI Moms Weekly Check-In*~*~

Welcome! This is a check-in for moms who are/were on a dairy free and/or soy free diet due to their LO's intolerance. The check-ins will be posted every Monday morning on the Breastfeeding board and XP'd to the Food Allergy board. If you'd like to join the group, just post an intro here and dive in! To check out the archive of our previous check-ins, please see the MSPI Moms Blog.

1. How old is your LO?

2. How long have you been dairy and/or soy-free?

3. How are you doing? How is your LO doing?

4. When did you first notice MSPI symptoms? What were they?

5. Anything else you'd like to share today?

Re: ~*~*MSPI Moms Weekly Check-In*~*~

• Options

1. How old is your LO?

He'll be 16 mo this week!

For about 14 mo. It does get easier with time. :)

Pretty good. We are starting to intro dairy so I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

When he was 2 mo almost to the day, he started having green, mucousy poops. Before that he had normal seedy yellow poops. It was a sudden change and nearly every poop was green, which made me think something was wrong. I didn't see blood in his still until a month or so later, after I'd cut out all dairy but was still working on eliminating soy.

I gave DS less than 1 tsp of yogurt this weekend. Pedi said to take it slow, and I'm taking it glacially slow, haha. He was constipated, but I think that started before the yogurt. He was also fussy and having trouble sleeping, but he's also teething. So, not really any overt symptoms. I'll probably try some cheese or something next weekend. I don't want to give him anything while I"m at work because I want to watch him closely for reactions. So far, so good!

• Options

1. How old is your LO?

almost 11 months (how did that happen?!) 

since lo was about 6-8 weeks 

I am doing well. I can now have little bits here and there and its enough to satisfy my cravings and not feel so restricted. LO is doing well, I started giving her almond and coconut milk in her sippy with meals and she has taken to it well. I am still worried about giving her dairy and I dont know when I will really try.  

around 4-6 weeks, incredibly gassy and uncomfortable, green incredibly mucous stools and then flecks of blood, rash all over trunk of body/ eczema like symptoms that wouldn't go away until the proteins cleared out of our body. That is still now her only visible reaction is the slight bumps or eczema like patches when I have something offending.  

Just to give a little hope or inspiration to the mamas who are just starting this, I have to say that cutting dairy and soy from our diets seemed reallllly hard in the beginning but it is so easy now I feel like I dont have to think about it as much and we eat so much healthier. For us at least I feel like it was a blessing in disguise. So I would say hang in there and try to have fun with it and be creative. Try new foods that you never have who knows you may end up liking it! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagerocknrollfriend:

I gave DS less than 1 tsp of yogurt this weekend. Pedi said to take it slow, and I'm taking it glacially slow, haha. He was constipated, but I think that started before the yogurt. He was also fussy and having trouble sleeping, but he's also teething. So, not really any overt symptoms. I'll probably try some cheese or something next weekend. I don't want to give him anything while I"m at work because I want to watch him closely for reactions. So far, so good!

Fingers crossed this goes well for you! I know its hard when they are teething and having all these other symptoms that make you question if it was the food or not.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Hi there!

1. How old is your LO?

She's two weeks. 

I just cut out dairy two days ago. 

As a vegetarian, I never ate a ton of dairy, but I would like a nice piece of pizza lately! She seems to be doing okay - still gassy, but nothing too crazy. 

I am cutting dairy w/o a diagnosis, two of my other children had a MSPI - but I stopped nursing with them, and Alimentum did the trick.  This time I wanted to be ahead of the game if it turns out this baby also has the allergy.  My other two never had noticeable blood in their stool - it was determined through a stool swab that the blood was microscopic.  They both were incredibly fussy, though, and inconsolable.  I felt at the time that we discovered it, I just wanted to get them immediate help, which is why I went the route of the Alimentum. 

Just secretly hoping this LO will not have the MSPI and I can eat that slice of pizza sooner than later ;-) 

• Options
    Hi!!!!

1. How old is your LO?

Jonathan is 9 weeks 

4 weeks 

We were doing really great but I accidentally had chocolate milk yesterday. I don't know what I was thinking!!!! J is handling better than I thought but the mucousy poop is back  and he's spitting up more than normal today. 

At J's circ apt I mentioned how he seemed gassy and a little fussy and spit up quite a large amount a couple of times. She thought it was probably just gas and normal spit up but mentioned that if it got worse we might look into a dairy intolerance... then we got the mucousy poop and his gas didn't seem to get better so I thought Id try it. The day I went dairy free he stpooed spitting up, within a week the gassyness was gone and two weeks later his poop cleared up... until today that is...

I'm lucky that J's intolerance isn't severe. I don't have to look for the hidden stuff and can have a small bite of cheese or creamer in my coffee every-now-and-then.  Apparently a bottle of chocolate milk is not okay though... 

• Options
    imageLoveLo2010:
    imagerocknrollfriend:

Fingers crossed this goes well for you! I know its hard when they are teething and having all these other symptoms that make you question if it was the food or not.  

Thanks! Yeah, I wanted to wait until he was feeling better but sometimes the teething can linger, and then he'll get another cold, etc. So I decided to just go for it. I figured if it's such a mild reaction I can't tease it out from other issues it's probably not enough to worry about.

• Options
    imagehelenkayj:
    Hi!!!!

1. How old is your LO?

Jonathan is 9 weeks 

4 weeks 

We were doing really great but I accidentally had chocolate milk yesterday. I don't know what I was thinking!!!! J is handling better than I thought but the mucousy poop is back  and he's spitting up more than normal today. 

At J's circ apt I mentioned how he seemed gassy and a little fussy and spit up quite a large amount a couple of times. She thought it was probably just gas and normal spit up but mentioned that if it got worse we might look into a dairy intolerance... then we got the mucousy poop and his gas didn't seem to get better so I thought Id try it. The day I went dairy free he stpooed spitting up, within a week the gassyness was gone and two weeks later his poop cleared up... until today that is...

I'm lucky that J's intolerance isn't severe. I don't have to look for the hidden stuff and can have a small bite of cheese or creamer in my coffee every-now-and-then.  Apparently a bottle of chocolate milk is not okay though... 

Welcome to you and bride1977!

I know how easy it is to slip up, even on supposedly obvious things. Just a week or two ago I accidentally ate a couple of bites of pasta (I'm avoiding wheat too) when I was making DH some soup. Duh! I'm glad he's not so sensitive that you have to eliminate everything. I hope he continues to do well!

• Options

1. How old is your LO? 10 weeks

2. How long have you been dairy and/or soy-free? 8 weeks dairy free, haven't attempted soy free yet

3. How are you doing? How is your LO doing? Somedays I really miss diary, especially cheese.  LO is improved, but still has bad days, and seems sensitive to lots of things I eat, like citrus, so that's why soy is my  next step

4. When did you first notice MSPI symptoms? What were they?  I noticed symptoms when he was 12 days old - fussy, greenish poop which was frothy at first, mucousy stools.  Pedi recommended cutting out dairy at his 2 week check up and I've been diary free since

5. Anything else you'd like to share today? I know I need to cut out soy to see if it helps, but with 2 other kids and a husband that travels half the time, the thought of having to prep almost everything I eat is daunting, especially with a fussy 2 month old in the mix.

"Little seahorse/Floating on a primal tide/Quickening like a/Spark in a haystack side/I already love you/And I don't even know who you are" -Bruce Cockburn BabyFetus TickerLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BOOKWORMS and BUTTERFLIES
  • Options

1. How old is your LO? almost 9 months

2. How long have you been dairy and/or soy-free? 8 months

3. How are you doing? How is your LO doing? Doing well - my son is doing awesome.    

4. When did you first notice MSPI symptoms? What were they? I noticed right away (first day of life) but I didn't recognize what they were from until about 6 weeks or so.  He was extremely fussy, colicy, he spit up a ton and had mucusy poop.

5. Anything else you'd like to share today? I'm ready to start introducing dairy into my diet, I might try a few spoonfuls of yogurt this week and see how he does.  I had some food with butter a few weeks ago (by mistake) and he spit up a little but that was it.  I'm waiting for soy, last time I had soy milk in my coffee he spit up a TON.  Also, for moms who may have their babies on reflux meds, try replacing meds with priobiotics.  I took my son off Pepcid and replaced with probiotics and he did great.  

M/C Nov 9, 2011 at 11 weeks.... We love you & miss you Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

1. How old is your LO? 18 months

2. How long have you been dairy and/or soy-free? 16 months

3. How are you doing? How is your LO doing? I'm fine. DS tried some dairy and it didn't go so well.

4. When did you first notice MSPI symptoms? What were they? maybe it was four- six weeks? First irritability & gas. Then green mucousy poop, bright red blood.

5. Anything else you'd like to share today?I tried giving DS half of an English muffin three days in a row (contains milk). The first day he was miserable but I wasn't sure if it was the heat bc it was like 100 degrees. The second day he got his 18 month immunizations and was irritable and the third day he was inconsolable and has a greenish poop. He has been really off ever since (no more green poop though) and we are on day 9. I don't know if it's definitely from the dairy, shots, or teething or a combination. In hindsight I should have waited awhile after the shots but he never had this bad of a reaction from shots before. I looked up after the fact and saw that the 18 month dtap is really bad. So now we are holding off again. =(

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagebrideinsummer04:
    5. Anything else you'd like to share today?I tried giving DS half of an English muffin three days in a row contains milk. The first day he was miserable but I wasn't sure if it was the heat bc it was like 100 degrees. The second day he got his 18 month immunizations and was irritable and the third day he was inconsolable and has a greenish poop. He has been really off ever since no more green poop though and we are on day 9. I don't know if it's definitely from the dairy, shots, or teething or a combination. In hindsight I should have waited awhile after the shots but he never had this bad of a reaction from shots before. I looked up after the fact and saw that the 18 month dtap is really bad. So now we are holding off again. =

Boo, that sucks. I'm sorry it didn't go well. Have you been to an allergist? Our pedi said if he is still reacting by 18 mo she might send us to the allergist. You have been doing this for a long time! Good job mama. I hope you can try dairy again soon and it goes much better!
  • Options
    imageCeefome:

5. Anything else you'd like to share today? I know I need to cut out soy to see if it helps, but with 2 other kids and a husband that travels half the time, the thought of having to prep almost everything I eat is daunting, especially with a fussy 2 month old in the mix.

Oof, I feel your pain. Doing anything with a 2 month old is hard, let alone a fussy 2 month old, plus 2 other kids, and all by yourself!

The crock pot saved me in those early days. Throw everything in and turn it on, dinner makes itself. You can even make beans in the crock pot, which is much easier than cooking them on the stovetop and beans are great for you. If you check out the archived blog posts you'll see some where we talk about easy to prep meals. GL!!

• Options
    We have been to an allergist. He said if it didn't go well at 18 months to wait until 24 months. I tried making an appt with two other ones for a second opinion and they both had two month waits for appts. :(
    imagerocknrollfriend:
    imagebrideinsummer04:
    5. Anything else you'd like to share today?I tried giving DS half of an English muffin three days in a row contains milk. The first day he was miserable but I wasn't sure if it was the heat bc it was like 100 degrees. The second day he got his 18 month immunizations and was irritable and the third day he was inconsolable and has a greenish poop. He has been really off ever since no more green poop though and we are on day 9. I don't know if it's definitely from the dairy, shots, or teething or a combination. In hindsight I should have waited awhile after the shots but he never had this bad of a reaction from shots before. I looked up after the fact and saw that the 18 month dtap is really bad. So now we are holding off again. =

Boo, that sucks. I'm sorry it didn't go well. Have you been to an allergist? Our pedi said if he is still reacting by 18 mo she might send us to the allergist. You have been doing this for a long time! Good job mama. I hope you can try dairy again soon and it goes much better!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"