Pre-School and Daycare
Options

If you have a 3-4yo and an infant, pls help!

I have a 3yo and a 5.5 month old.  My youngest has been co-sleeping in our room.  Soon it will be time to get her into her crib in her own room.  The problem is, the baby room is right next door, not across, next door with shared wall with my toddlers.  My infant is EBF and only falls asleep on my breast.  My husband then transfers her out of my arms to her co-sleeper right next to my side of the bed at night.  That won't be happening anymore once the baby moves to her crib.  I know we are probably going to have to do some CIO.  The issue is, this will definitely wake up my toddler.  So how do you all do it?  Is it anytime the baby cries this will keep the other one up, and vice versa?  We had a few miserable nights last week where my toddler was up having bad dreams and as soon as she was asleep the baby was up.  Seems like they took turns all night long and this happened three nights in a row.  So is this what we should expect from here on out when one is up crying?  Any advice?  Also, we have sound machine, black out curtains, etc etc and seems both my girls are light sleepers.  Is this just the way it goes?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: If you have a 3-4yo and an infant, pls help!

• Options
    I was going to suggest white noise machines in everyone's bedrooms but you said you already use them. I have a 4 year old and almost 2 year old twins. We let our babies CIO when they were about 8 months old, in the same bedroom. It took a few nights for them to adjust and get used to each other's crying but now they almost never wake each other up. My oldest used to tell me in the morning that she heard the babies crying during the night but she never got out of bed.

You might just need to tough it out for a few nights so your kids can learn to sleep through each other's cries. Good luck!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DS goes to bed between 6:30 and 7, DD goes up around 7:30 or 8.  I try not to bring her up until he is sound asleep.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    So if your DD cries, your DS just sleeps through it?
  • Options

imageMrs.Greg:
    I was going to suggest white noise machines in everyone's bedrooms but you said you already use them. I have a 4 year old and almost 2 year old twins. We let our babies CIO when they were about 8 months old, in the same bedroom. It took a few nights for them to adjust and get used to each other's crying but now they almost never wake each other up. My oldest used to tell me in the morning that she heard the babies crying during the night but she never got out of bed. You might just need to tough it out for a few nights so your kids can learn to sleep through each other's cries. Good luck!

Okay, hopefully that's what happens.  Thank you!

• Options
    LSU628LSU628 member
    DS woke up DD when he first came home from the hospital, but now she pretty much sleeps through him. Their rooms share a wall as well. DD"s bed is right against the wall, but DS's crib is on the far side of his room. Can you move beds to where they both aren't right up against the wall?
    imageimage
  • Options
    rsd12rsd12 member
    My kids sleep through each others noise. Even at that age... My middle son and oldest shared a room since the middle one was 6 months old. The middle and the youngest have shared a room since my youngest was 2 and a half years old. It did take a month for them to get use to each other... But that was with only going to bed.

All three are sharing a room right now since we have family visiting, one woke up at 4 and he did not make a sound, the youngest fell out of bed at 6 and even with his screaming did not wake the others!!
    Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
  • Options

imageLSU628:
    DS woke up DD when he first came home from the hospital, but now she pretty much sleeps through him. Their rooms share a wall as well. DD"s bed is right against the wall, but DS's crib is on the far side of his room. Can you move beds to where they both aren't right up against the wall?

This is exactly our setup and it works well! DD1 woke up just the first night and hasn't since. They both have sound machines.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageLSU628:
    Can you move beds to where they both aren't right up against the wall?

My toddler's bed isn't up against the wall but the baby crib is.  There is no where else to put the baby crib that will fit everything in that room.

• Options
    Thanks everyone.  I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that they both learn to sleep when the other one is making noise and/or crying.
  • Options
    DS never had a problem when dd would cry in the middle of the night. Occasionally he would say that he heard her (he'd tell me the next morning), but he never got out of bed or anything. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"