February 2013 Moms

Sitting unsupported question

DS just turned 5 months on Saturday. He sits up assisted just great, but doesn't sit unsupported yet. Whenever he's in a reclined position he tries really hard to pull himself up into a seated position (great ab workout, DS!) and is almost successful. When he is seated in our laps or the bumbo, he tries to straighten up so he's not leaning against anything, but then he topples over if we don't catch him quickly enough. I know kids do it at varying ages and I'm not worried about it, but he tries so hard I was wondering if there was anything I could do to help him. On a side note, he's not a big roller either (only rolled once tummy to back and has almost rolled once back to tummy), but his pedi said it happens between 4 and 6 months so not to worry about that either; but are these skills related at all?

Daisypath - (2EEx)

Lilypie - (CszI)

Re: Sitting unsupported question

• I believe these skills are related and all have to do with the strength of their back muscles. I would just continue giving him opportunities to practice and strengthen his back like you have been. Sounds like he's progressing along nicely!
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm not sure how related they are but...mine has been rolling both directions and scooting for a couple of months!  He is not close to sitting at all.  He would much rather be on his tummy.  ETA:  I'm talking about sitting up at all, without my holding on to him.  He can't come close.  Sitting up from a crawling position by themselves comes way later in the game.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • It is difficult for a baby to just sit straight up from reclining by themselves. The easiest way for the to sit without help is for them to roll on their side and then lean on their hands from there. So, yes, the two are definitely related. Try giving him some time to just lay on his back so he can practice by himself. Resist helping him. When you see more rolling, he will likely sit himself up soon after, given that he is ready :)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • DD does baby crunches too.  To encourage her I'll pull her up to sitting by her hands, hold her there for about 30 seconds, and then roll her back down.  I do it on the newborn napper Boppy though so she doesn't have as far to "roll up." no also sit with her back to my stomach and I'll roll a ball or put a toy just out of reach.  Several times she's reached for it and ended up in a sitting position.
  • imageDC2London:
    Rhys does the same thing. nbsp;He has some SERIOUS ab strength.Both of my babies have been early sitters, and I think part of it is that I helped them build up their core/upper back strength. nbsp;I sit across from them on a playmat, and hold their hands to keep them sitting upright. nbsp;Then I sing "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" and kind of gently push and pull so they rock forward and back, into and out of an upright position only a few inches back. nbsp;They think it's hilarious, and as they continue to pull back upright, it strengthens their core just like a rowing machine would for an adult. nbsp;I don't really know if it makes a difference, but it seems to have done with my lads.nbsp;

Thanks for this. Tried it with DS and he loved it. If it also helps with his sitting, great!

I like cookies.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't know how related they are. My first DD was a rolling machine from 4 months on but couldn't sit until 7.5 months, then crawled later that week.

DD2 has only rolled a few times and only from belly to back once, but she can sit unassisted really well. Go figure!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"