July 2012 Moms

10yr HS reunion

Did you go to your 10 yr high school reunion or if it hasn't been 10 years for you, are you planning to go?  

I didn't realize it but this year is my 10 year high school reunion. Blah.  It's in October and I have absolutely no desire to go.  But I feel like since I was the valedictorian people will expect me to be there.  I wasn't popular or social at all but people "knew" me because of that.  So this event is 3 days long!!  First day bowling, second day a masquerade ball, and third day is a family picnic at the park.  And I'd have to pay $180 total if I want my husband to come along.  Seriously?? Wahhh.  I feel like reunions are dumb now that facebook exists.  I'm facebook friends with several high school friends and classmates but other than occasionally stalk their pics, I don't talk to them. My HS best friend and I grew apart over the last 5 years. So there's really nobody I'm hoping to see there. Ugh, sorry just needed to whine.   I'll probably end up coming up with some lame excuse not to go. 

If you went to your reunion, how was it?

Re: 10yr HS reunion

• Mine is this September. I plan on going. I think it will be fun to see people and catch up. But mine is just a one night thing. 3 days seems excessive and 180 is crazy! I would not go if mine was like that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• i missed my 10 and 15 but my 20 year is next year and Um HELL TO THE YES IM GOING!!!!!

ETA: Now i feel old..

• Loading the player...
  • I attended mine last month and had a blast. But my class was a really fun, noncliquey group, so I knew it would be a good time. We only had one evening of dinner and drinks at the local art gallery, and it was 70 for both me and H. In your case, the only event I would personally be interested in is the family park thing. Can you pay per event or do you have to attend all weekend? All of those activities are a little overkill IMO.
  • imagecodybarre:

I probably would NOT go if it's a 3 day event---that's crazy! Can you just go to the family picnic to show off your cute babies?? Or do you have to travel for it? I definitely wouldn't be spending $180 for a 3 day event!

Yeah the only event that I'd be willing to go to is the picnic, but the tickets are a package deal for all 3 events so I'd be paying $180 for some hot dogs.  No thanks!

• I changed schools during highschool and I accidently showed up to the school and people I grew up with. I had no idea they were having one and we just went out to dinner and there everyone was. We had a blast! Now for the school I actually graduated from, they havent even started planning it and they only have a few more months to plan one! Oh well... at least I went to one!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Mine is this year but I don't plan on going. I kept in a touch with a few people since high school but that's it. My class was huge and I barely knew anyone. 
  • Mine was supposed to be next month but it got canceled because there wasn't enough participation. I'm from a small town and only had 65 people in our graduating class. I couldn't make up my mind if I was going to go or not because it seemed like the ones that were excited about were the ones still living there. I moved away for a reason!
  • catmtlcatmtl member
    imagereinedecajun:

i missed my 10 and 15 but my 20 year is next year and Um HELL TO THE YES IM GOING!!!!!

I'm an old fart too. My 20 year reunion is the year after next. Unbelievable. I still feel like a young whippersnapper. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • KarmBKarmB member
    mine was a few years ago. I didnt go. I think theyre stupid now this day and age with facebook. I see everyone there.

• Just passed and NOPE. I can see all these people on FB if I really want to. And I dont. And I cant remember anyone's names as it is. Its always really awkward when I see someone I know out and about, and they know my name, and I have no idea what their name is or who they are. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Married: 5/21/05 **~** Emery Aylin 6/30/12

BFP#1-11/5/10- Surgery for ectopic pregnancy 11/15/10 BFP#2-11/1/11 Due 7/8/12 Born 6/30/12
    Oops we did it again... BFP 03/23/14 Due 12/6/14 Nora Born 11/23/14
  • imagecatmtl:
    imagereinedecajun:

i missed my 10 and 15 but my 20 year is next year and Um HELL TO THE YES IM GOING!!!!!

I'm an old fart too. My 20 year reunion is the year after next. Unbelievable. I still feel like a young whippersnapper. 

I had to LOL at this, mostly because I didn't know what a whippersnapper was and this was urban dictionary's definition: 

"What old people, generally your grandparents, call "youngsters". The word is derived from the term "snapping your whip" which means getting a b0n3r" 

BAHAHA

FWIW I don't think you're old ;) 

• imagehi jinx:
    My 10 year reunion was 3 years ago and I ended up skipping it. I'm not really friends with anyone from HS anymore, so for me it wasn't worth going. I guess I'm a jerk but I just don't care much about the people from HS.

Same here. The ones I care about I'm friends with on Fb. Other than that, it seemed like a waste.
    imageimage

• Mine will be in 5 years, but I'm not sure I'll go.  I only went to the school I graduated from for my senior year and doubt I'll be invited to my freshman/ sophomore high school in AK. (I was in Germany for my Junior year)  Like most of you have said, FB is just fine with me!
  • To be quite honest, I thought mine turned out okay.  I was one of the planners, so it was a lot of hard work and lots of extra time, but someone has to do it right?  I was not one of the popular people.  I was friends with everyone and everyone knew me like you.  Ours was only one night that included dinner and dancing at a country club.  Nothing fancy.

If you didn't have the twins, I would probably say go for it, but with two little ones, three days seems like a bit much.  I am sure everyone would understand if you didn't end up going.

To sum it up...people don't change!  And neither do the clicks! 

Visit The Nest
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• I went to mine. It was fun, and I didn't even drink anything ( it was 3 days before my BFP). That being said, it was really low key. I don't know if I would have gone to a 3 day event! Especially for almost $200.

Based on what you described, I wouldn't be going if I were you. If you didn't socialize with these people back then, when you had sort of built-in things in common, why would you now? And I don't think people will expect you to be there just because you were the valedictorian. That's silly. And even if they did, why do you care about what they expect? If you wanna go, go. If not, don't. And you don't need to make up an excuse. I doubt anyone will be banging down your door. 

Also, even though it says the 3 events are a package, I bet if you called or emailed the person in charge, you could work something out to just go to the picnic.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I went to mine! It was hilarious because my H knows someone everywhere we go in Minneapolis. From high school college or grad school which were all in town. Well what do you know 500 miles away he freaking knows someone at MY reunion. I thought the planners did a bad job with activities and could have made the 1999 theme way more fun!! 75 bucks f

• imageKdoy705:
    I went to mine! It was hilarious because my H knows someone everywhere we go in Minneapolis. From high school college or grad school which were all in town. Well what do you know 500 miles away he freaking knows someone at MY reunion. I thought the planners did a bad job with activities and could have made the 1999 theme way more fun!! 75 bucks f

My post went early! 75 bucks for a crap hotel buffet and weird dancing. I hope the 20 yr gets a better planner.

• elizdgelizdg member

I have a few more years to go until mine (2017), but I don't think I'll attend. I still talk to some people from high school since I still live here, but I really have no desire to reconnect with anyone else.

Based on the info you gave, I wouldn't go if I were you. I just feel like that's a lot of money for what y'all will be doing. 

• Mine is next year and I plan on going. I live 2000 miles away from home so it will give me a good excuse to go and see everyone. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I didn't attend mine.  It was July 7th, 2012 which was approximately 11 days after Olivia was born.  I was not in any shape to be seeing people from HS!  I still keep in contact with many people from high school and didn't feel like I missed much.  I'll go to the next one. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

*Proud Air Force Wife*

"I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always.
    As long as I'm living,
    my baby you'll be."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"