Breastfeeding

Drop in supply

My LO will be 3 mon tomorrow and my supply has all but disappeared. When LO nurses she gets very agitated will stop after a few minutes. I pump after feeding and don't get anything. I give her a bottle after nursing and she takes it down quick. I have tried skipping a nursing and pumping....barely get anything....maybe half an ounce total. What can I do?

Re: Drop in supply

• Try increasing your water intake.  I've noticed that when I drink more water that my supply is higher.  Also, it's normal for you to produce less milk later in the day.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ditto the pp's advice. Is there a chance you have or re getting your period? My supply tanks when I have AF. Also YouTube paced bottle feeding. Your LO might have gotten lazy with the easy flow of the bottle and not want to work as hard on the breast.  

TTC Since 3/2010
    Me-36, Unexplained Infertility, DH-35, all clear
    Clomid 50mg 12/2011 = BFN
    Clomid 100mg 1/2012 = BFN, with Cyst
    IVF #1 Lupron/Menopur/Gonal-f/HCG Trigger
    ER 4/19/12 = 11 retrieved, 6 fertilized,
    ET 4/22/12 = 2 transfered (day 3), remaining 3 weren't good enough to freeze
    Beta 5/3 = BFP, 87 Beta #2 5/7 560.9 Beta #3 5/9 1376.5 First u/s One Baby, 125bpm!
    Second u/s, 176bmp! Kicked over to the OB by the RE at 8w. Team Green!! 
    Baby girl J arrived two weeks early! Born into water, med-free. Hooray for Team Pink!

TTC #2 - back to the RE, treatment started 12/2014. 

• Loading the player...
  • Set up an appointment with a lactation consultant locally asap. Your health insurance should cover this. When it comes to milk supply, you need to be pumping every 2 hours for 15 minutes with a dual, hospital grade pump. Every 3 hours overnight. It's possible you've already started to dry up and this might be why you aren't getting anything. If you don't have a dual electric pump, the lactation consultant can help you get a rental (your insurance should cover this as well).

Regardless, go ahead and start pumping every 2 hours and don't skip any pumpings. Call the lactation consultant and get into her. Once you start pumping this often you can start using herbs. Try drinking Breastea (breastea.com) and taking the malungay leaf capsules. I've seen a great increase in my pumping output since I started these. Make sure to use daily as long as you need the extra milk. If you've already started drying up, it can take awhile to start seeing milk again. Make sure to keep up with that pumping schedule. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"