Nurseries and Baby Gear

Hiking Carrier for Baby on Back

DH doesn't like carriers, I love my Cuddly Wrap (like moby), but when out hiking yesterday DH saw one of those big backpack carriers for hiking and wanted me to look at getting one.

Does anyone have any recommendations of products/models or places to buy these? 

*** DS born February 21, 2013 - Toronto, Canada  ***
imageimage

Re: Hiking Carrier for Baby on Back

• Osprey Poco Plus. It is awesome. It has really nice, easy, adjustments so we can switch between me and DH in just a few minutes. There is also a basic and premium version but we found the plus had the best balance of features. Several people, including REI salespeople recommended it to us.
    image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
    BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• imageMrsJetSet:
    Osprey Poco Plus. It is awesome. It has really nice, easy, adjustments so we can switch between me and DH in just a few minutes. There is also a basic and premium version but we found the plus had the best balance of features. Several people, including REI salespeople recommended it to us.

This exactly! I got DH one for Father's Day and he has been putting DD in it every night for walks. I love the sunshade and the storage that the plus has and the stirrups for taller kids. I picked this model because of the child harness, the deuter had a five point harness that DH would have trouble with and DD could potentially figure out how to open. The poco has clips that are behind her shoulders so she will never be able to get herself out.

I would suggest getting one of the mirrors on a retractable cord that you can clip on, DH likes to be able to check on her. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageEstwd2:

I was going to suggest REI, but I see that you're in Canada. If you have REI or another outdoors store like them, I'd suggest going there and trying the carriers on. We tried on several at REI and ended up buying the Deuter Kid Comfort III. I'm a bit too short to wear it comfortably, but DH loves it. It's super comfortable, has lots of storage for diapers and water, and DD loves it. It even came with a little teddy bear tucked into a pocket she can reach. You can go to deuter.com and check their dealer search to find a Canadian store that carries them.

maybe MEC would be a similar type store you can try? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We went with the Deuter Kid Comfort II mainly because  it was one of the few current models that doesn't have a crotch dangler seat.  I really liked some of the features better on the Osprey Poco, I just wish the seat design was more ergonomic.  DD loves the Deuter and has even napped on the trail while in it.  She's never been a big fan of Ergo in the back carry mode, especially on the trail.

• Mec has littlelife ultralite convertible s2 carrier. I like the size of this.  Has anyone used this or Kelty junction 2.0.

they look small enough that I can use them for flight travel with my LO.

i looked at some of the others and was actually able to try LO in Kelty journey 2.0.  Unfortunately, LO is a tiny little peanut and he's too small for it.  Though he is able to sit unassisted, he's just in the 3rd percentile.  The convertible packs seem to be better for the shorter baby.

Thoughts?

oh and I saw someone mention crotch dangler - are these packs ok for LOs hips and developement? 

*** DS born February 21, 2013 - Toronto, Canada  ***
    imageimage
  • imagehappy_un-bride:

Mec has littlelife ultralite convertible s2 carrier. I like the size of this.  Has anyone used this or Kelty junction 2.0.

i looked at some of the others and was actually able to try LO in Kelty journey 2.0.  Unfortunately, LO is a tiny little peanut and he's too small for it.  Though he is able to sit unassisted, he's just in the 3rd percentile.  The convertible packs seem to be better for the shorter baby.

Thoughts?

oh and I saw someone mention crotch dangler - are these packs ok for LOs hips and developement? 

Make sure that your baby meets the minimum weight and age requirements for whatever pack you choose.  It also means that they have to have really great neck and back control.  Really the soft fabric carriers like Ergo are the best for ergonomics, weight distribution and balance with infants.  Where the backpack carriers are better (but not necessarily more comfortable) are with active, curious toddlers who want a better view and a less restricted carry, hot temperatures and the need for additional storage space.  Carrying the child high up in a carrier alters your center of balance and puts more strain on your shoulders and back.  

As far as ergonomic child seat, it was a deal breaker for me.  Reasonable use of saddle type seat isn't going to be a big deal, but I'm a proponent of ergonomic carriers in general.

• Another vote for osprey.

All the bells and whistles, very lightweight. And totally adjustable to easily fit any torso length and a piece of cake to adjust.
  • imageellewoodsSC:
    imagehappy_un-bride:

Mec has littlelife ultralite convertible s2 carrier. I like the size of this.  Has anyone used this or Kelty junction 2.0.

Thoughts?

Make sure that your baby meets the minimum weight and age requirements for whatever pack you choose.  It also means that they have to have really great neck and back control.  Really the soft fabric carriers like Ergo are the best for ergonomics, weight distribution and balance with infants.  Where the backpack carriers are better (but not necessarily more comfortable) are with active, curious toddlers who want a better view and a less restricted carry, hot temperatures and the need for additional storage space.  Carrying the child high up in a carrier alters your center of balance and puts more strain on your shoulders and back.  

As far as ergonomic child seat, it was a deal breaker for me.  Reasonable use of saddle type seat isn't going to be a big deal, but I'm a proponent of ergonomic carriers in general.

I agree with this accept that a properly fitted frames backpack style carrier distributes the weight on to your hips, not on to your back and shoulders. Maybe this is what pp meant to say?

• imageSunAndRain:

I agree with this accept that a properly fitted frames backpack style carrier distributes the weight on to your hips, not on to your back and shoulders. Maybe this is what pp meant to say?

No pack will transfer 100% of the weight to your hips, no matter how properly it is adjusted.  Because the child is positioned so high up and away from your body, there's even more strain there than with a typical backpacking internal frame pack where you can load the weight closer to your torso and center of gravity.  6 lb frame, 25 lb child and misc. gear and you are essentially carrying a load similar to a week worth of gear and food for a backpacker.

• hmp1hmp1 member
    We used our Ergo for hiking until DS1 was 9mo old and then we started using the Kelty.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"