Toddlers: 24 Months+

Batman/superman?

I feel like little kids love batman and superman... Well I'm wondering what exactly are little kids watching or playing with to get into this? I have one child just 2 yrs old, but I see a lot of boys wearing clothes dress up etc. tell me what I'm supposed to watch play with that's appropriate at this age... Tia! We did try a show on TV it was so scary... Maybe there are different ones I'm missing... On demand? Or Netflix?

Re: Batman/superman?

• I've never thought about this before. DD1 is really into spiderman, but she's only had access to him via the other kids at daycare. They bring their masks in and some of them have books that they bring in. She's never seen a cartoon or programme of him.

I'm only familiar with the "adult" spiderman films. I wouldn't show those to my pre-schooler. Maybe there are more kid friendly ones? But I don't think it will be a gap in your child's learning if they don't see spiderman on TV until they're older.

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• I'm not sure I understand why you care if your child has been "taught" to like super heros? DS likes batman and superman because my FIL and DH watch batman cartoons and the avenger movies with him. I really wish DS wasn't exposed to so much TV but it is what it is. Also, DH plays superhero with DS.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Up until a few months ago, my kid had never seen Sesame Street, but he was totally in love with all things Elmo.  They pick it up without seeing the shows.  I'm also confused if you want your kid to be obsessed with these things??  It's not a requirement of childhood. :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • It is not my personal experience that little kids love Batman and Superman. Older kids, yes, but I don't know any younger kids into them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My son loves his batman pjs that my sister gave him and a batman shirt my DH's aunt gave him. He also loves his spiderman underwear. DS has never seen Batman/Spiderman on TV.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • They make books geared towards little kids too. We have at least 5 super hero board books.  My DH is a comic book geek (Batman being the fav.), so we have a lot of stuff around the house and watch the tv cartoons all the time (both newer and old).  Chloe loves Man Man (batman).
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• jc&catjc&cat member

imagehocus:
    My kids don't watch the shows or movies. We have the toys and that is enough to be honest.

This. DS likes batman and has some toys but thats b/c batman has some cool cars and toys and flying things and i think that is why DS likes it. He watched the cartoon for like 5 min and didn't like it. Last year it was huge for school kids in his class and everyone was batman for halloween. It was overkill and he just wasn't that into it. He was the only firefighter of his class and i was very proud.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DH got DS into superheroes and he's obsessed.  There are younger kid versions of Avengers, Justice League, etc. available on demand but it really depends on what freaks your kid out.  My kid isn't bothered at all by "bad guys" or whatever.  His favorite thing now is to have DH be Green Goblin, he plays Spiderman and I'm "Mary James."  (that's Mary Jane for the non savvy lol)
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• AFAIK all the current shows are pretty violent so we don't let DS watch them. The one exception is Superhero Squad, which is on Netflix streaming. There is still some fighting but it's a little less direct. Also like PP said the older/original shows from the 70's aren't AS bad.

I'm sure DS picked it up from school... it seems like one day he just became OBSESSED with "good guys". It's persisted for several months now. We try to steer him away to other shows and Disney movies but he still wants to watch it a fair bit.

We love our little guys!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"