Baby Showers

Hiring Someone To Take Pictures at Baby Shower and Gender Reveal Party?????

So I need some help. We are thinking about hiring a photographer to take pictures at the baby shower and possibly at a gender reveal party if we have one. My family says there is no point that people will be taking pictures anyways why hire someone. I get that but I just want people to be able to enjoy themselves and not have to worry about taking pictures. 

My next problem is to have a gender reveal party or just a picture session with just my husband and I. I want to do some sort of gender reveal but everyone I talk to says why have a party that people will confuse it with the baby shower. So I am stuck on either to have a party to reveal the gender or to just have something for my husband and I.

Any help on either question would be great!!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Hiring Someone To Take Pictures at Baby Shower and Gender Reveal Party?????

• If you can afford a professional photographer why not? The pictures always turn out far better and if it's important to you to have that keepsake then do it.

I wouldn't worry about it being pretentious.

• Unless your baby is the future King of England, skip the photog and the gender reveal.
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I think hiring a photographer is a good idea, if they are reasonably priced. At my bridal shower, I had one of my bridesmaids responsible for taking pictures and most of them were not good quality.

Also, when I become pregnant I plan on organizing a gender reveal probably just for my immediate family and real close friends. I don't really care what people say about the parties, if they don't want to come then they don't have too. Also, I would let them know that at the gender reveal party, gifts are not required.

Hope this helps.

• I've seen so many gender reveal parties and it looks like so much fun. And if we did do one it would only be our are close family, no friends or anything so all of them already know we do not need any gifts brought, it just a party. I mostly want to hire a photographer because I ran into the same problem as scharle3. I thought someone would be there to take pictures at my bridal shower and other events and only a couple were taken. This is a mile stone in my life that I want to be able to look back on.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • imageFemShep:

Skip the gender reveal party.  Truly, no one cares as much about the sex of your baby as you and your husband.  

And skip the hired photographer; you'll seem pretentious and the photographer will likely get in the way of the festivities.  Many people at the shower will take pictures because they want to, and won't consider it a burden. 

Cute photographs of a gender reveal for just you and your husband seem like a great compromise for you-and won't make you seem like a pretentious AW. 

Absolutely all of this. Agree one hundred percent.  

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I can understand wanting the photographer. Like other PP I wish I had one at my Bridal Shower. Although my SIL and my sister took photos, none of them turned out well at all. The lighting was very funny in the room and almost photo is very fuzzy. I am very big into photographs are those are the one thing that lasts over time that you can always look back on, show your children, grand children, etc.  I will have the same person who has done multiple photo shoots for me, for various reason, come shoot the baby shower, do our maternity picture, and she will also do the hospital/birthing photos. 

As for the gender reveal party -- I would agree with others that a party isn't necessary. I do disagree with someone that "no one" cares about the gender of your baby like you do. I know our parents, grandparents and siblings will be super excited to find out the sex.  We will find a special way to tell our families the gender, but just a FB post for everyone else to find out.

Just my two thoughts!  

Me: 30 Him: 33
    Married: August 2012
    BFP #1 9/2013 -- MC 10/2013
    DD: 9/22/2014

• I'd forget the photographer for your shower. I would instead take the money and do awesome maternity shots with you and your husband.

For gender reveal in my opinion the only people to invite are the grandparents and any siblings. No one else cares that much.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would skip the gender reveal, but if you want a photographer to take pictures, go for it. I'm not sure why it would be a big deal. There are tons of events in the past that I wish I had better pictures of, my shower being one of them.
  • Gender reveal is not necessary IMO - hiring a photographer is a great idea.  They will capture all the details, your expressions, etc.  your friends and family aren't good photographers and you will be disappointed with your pictures.  I hired my wedding photographer for my Christmas Card photos (us and our English Bullies).  Of course I'm hiring her for my CHILD!  Maternity shoot, baby shower, and first shots at hospital.  I want (don't need, want) amazing photos for my baby book.  Photos are sooooo very important to me.  You look at your wedding photos more than you do your DVD.  You've sifted through your wedding photos quite a few times.  You've watched your DVD about 2-3. Photos are very important to me.
  • imageSing2phins:
    imageMMason12:

I can understand wanting the photographer. Like other PP I wish I had one at my Bridal Shower. Although my SIL and my sister took photos, none of them turned out well at all. The lighting was very funny in the room and almost photo is very fuzzy. I am very big into photographs are those are the one thing that lasts over time that you can always look back on, show your children, grand children, etc.  I will have the same person who has done multiple photo shoots for me, for various reason, come shoot the baby shower, do our maternity picture, and she will also do the hospital/birthing photos. 

As for the gender reveal party -- I would agree with others that a party isn't necessary. I do disagree with someone that "no one" cares about the gender of your baby like you do. I know our parents, grandparents and siblings will be super excited to find out the sex.  We will find a special way to tell our families the gender, but just a FB post for everyone else to find out.

Just my two thoughts!  

I promise you, no one will care enough to want to look at pictures from showers.  Weddings?  Of course.  New baby? Yes.  But pictures of you opening presents?  No way.

You are right, no one else may ever care enough to look at pictures from my shower. I; however, will and do care enough.  I constantly look through my photographs. And it is not photos of me opening presents that I care about -- I could give two crap less about those. It's photographs with the people attending the event that I cherish the most.

After my wedding a very close friend of mine passed away three weeks later from cancer. The last photo I have is with me dancing with him at my reception. It is a photo I will cherish forever, as they were like a second father figure in my life. 

Why do you care so much if someone wants to have a photographer or nice pictures of their shower for them to look back on?  It's not like you are being forced to look at them. Geesh.  

Me: 30 Him: 33
    Married: August 2012
    BFP #1 9/2013 -- MC 10/2013
    DD: 9/22/2014

• Honestly, I wouldn't hire a professional photographer for a baby shower. Like others have said, he/she may end up getting in the way of the guests for the sake of getting the best angle for a shot. Also, people in general love taking pictures (just look at how popular Instagram is) and I doubt your guests would feel "burdened" by doing so. Those who feel burdened by taking pictures just won't take any. Those who take pictures are doing it because they want to. There is no imposition here.

• You're right, things have gotten over the top.  My mom certainly didn't have a professional photographer at her baby showers, but its a fairly inexpensive indulgence.  You're not making an album out of just baby shower photos and Personally, I'm having a ton of cutesy details I want professionally captured and I want pictures of my guests playing games, so my guests will want to see those photos, yes - not just me.  I don't want a ton of photos opening gifts, I want one or two: the tear jerker and the "I don't understand what this is for (yet)".  A good photographer, like mine, was never in the way at our wedding, much less at a shower with .08 of the population from wedding.  

• Sounds like you've made up your mind but I have to agree with pp: having a prof photographer is a waste. And I don't agree that this is relatively inexpensive. Our photographer costs 185 per session and while I think that is a screaming deal, I wouldn't categorize it as " relatively inexpensive".

As a guest I really wouldn't care about pics from your shower. I really wouldn't care about pics from my mom's or grandmother's shower.

All those little shower details and the "tear jerker pose" are sort if unimportant in the grand scheme of things. I guarantee once LO is born you'll have more precious things on your mind.

What I do treasure are our maternity photos and the professional pics of DD.
  • imageeurotripsummer:
    So I need some help. We are thinking about hiring a photographer to take pictures at the baby shower and possibly at a gender reveal party if we have one. My family says there is no point that people will be taking pictures anyways why hire someone. I get that but I just want people to be able to enjoy themselves and not have to worry about taking pictures.nbsp;nbsp;My next problem is to have a gender reveal party or just a picture session with just my husband and I. I want to do some sort of gender reveal but everyone I talk to says why have a party that people will confuse it with the baby shower. So I am stuck on either to have a party to reveal the gender or to just have something for my husband and I. nbsp;Any help on either question would be great!!!nbsp;nbsp;

I say go for it ...If the details are that unimportant and in the grand scheme no one really cares about all the cutsie things or small details at the shower than what's the point of doing them. Have you photographer if you'd like I'm over the top and all my friends and family know it I was born this way ..and this Lil girl is more than likely gonna be over the top as well ! :
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"