September 2013 Moms

Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction anyone?

Does anyone have experience with Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction?

I'm calling my doctor in the morning to see if they want me to come in for the pain I'm having, so not looking for anyone to take my doctor's place. Just wondering if anyone has experience with this.

Almost a week ago I woke up with pain in my joint between my pelvis and left leg. I thought it was a pulled muscle from exercising in the pool and didn't worry too much. As the week progressed the pain increased so I started looking online for options for pregnant women with pulled groin muscles. I found a lot of info about SPD and my symptoms seem to fit it pretty closely. (Pain increases with specific movements, particularly anything involving moving legs apart and pain seems to spread across bottom of pubic bone when it increases being the most noteworthy.) However, the intensity of the pain does seem to fluctuate some and I don't know if that is typical.

So are any of you going through this in this pregnancy, or does anyone have BTDT experience here? Are your experiences similar? For BTDT ladies, how much did your pain increase from onset to delivery? 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction anyone?

• There's a thread called SPD in the last couple pages that has some info I posted. See if you can find that...I'd write more but am going to nap. Smile
  • Oh great! I was looking but must have missed it. Thanks!
  • Loading the player...
  • I have it and it sucks.  Support belts are supposed to help a bit but I've been too cheap to buy one.  It also gets worse if I've done a lot of squatting, bending down, lifting or even sitting on the floor with my legs crossed.  
    DS1 June 12, 2009
    DS2 May 19, 2011
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Glad you posted this.. now I know what that pain is!

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagebarnratash:
    Glad you posted this.. now I know what that pain is!

Glad to help, I guess! Lol Doesn't seem to be particularly good news, but yes, knowing what we are dealing with is helpful information at least. Good luck to you! 

• Can I just complain, WHY do they have to use the word pubis?  I sometimes use "groin pain" instead.
  • imagebarnratash:
    Glad you posted this.. now I know what that pain is!

this goes for me too!! I feel like at times, my pelvis is going to crack in half, right down the center. Thanks for letting me know what it is! 

J+E ~ 08/25/2007   DD#1 ~ 05/11/2010   DD#2 ~ 09/25/2013   DD#3 ~ 06/09/2016   Baby #4 Due ~ 01/16/2023

• imageA37licia:
    Can I just complain, WHY do they have to use the word pubis?  I sometimes use "groin pain" instead.

Because it's a separation at the symphysis pubis joint. The pubic bone. That's the medical term. It HAPPENS to be in the same location as your pubic hair and anything else that is called "pubic." SPD can cause pain at the pubis as well as the groin or back (i.e. "pelvic girdle pain" and the separation is involving the back of your pelvis.)

As for the question, OP, yes, there have been a few posts about this over the past few weeks, which is great, actually. On the one hand I'm sorry so many of us are suffering, but on the other hand I'm glad it might be because there is more awareness. I think this condition is more common than it is diagnosed/reported, but now it is finally coming to light more.

To answer your question, yes, it really does get worse up until delivery. I'm a BTDT mom on this issue and I have it again this time around (since first tri! I was waddling 1-2 mo before showing!) I remember having a LOT of trouble in the last month. but at least for me it cleared up to 90% immediately upon delivery, and then the other 10% was within a few months. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had it with DS. It started around 30 weeks, and peaked around 33 weeks. I started PT, and over the next couple weeks it got much much better. At 33 weeks, I literally had to have DH drive me to work and drop me off at the front door, and have people go get me lunch. I had to hobble to the bathroom, but other than that, couldn't leave my desk. By the week I delivered, 41 weeks, I was walking several miles a day trying to walk baby out! The pain was no longer debilitating. By a couple weeks pp it was totally gone.

I attribute the improvement entirely to PT!

This time I started feeling the pain much earlier, maybe 17 weeks, but it hasn't gotten much worse yet.
    Finally updating my signature and avatar, August 29, 2011 (better late than never!) Jake! (born July 3, 2011 - 6 days past due) Image and video hosting by TinyPic December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Holiday Movie Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagekat81again2:

Because it's a separation at the symphysis pubis joint. The pubic bone. That's the medical term. It HAPPENS to be in the same location as your pubic hair and anything else that is called "pubic." SPD can cause pain at the pubis as well as the groin or back (i.e. "pelvic girdle pain" and the separation is involving the back of your pelvis.)

Yes, I know, I'm being sarcastic! I'm quite familiar with what is going on with SPD and provided experienced information in the other thread. I had it my first two pregnancies but thankfully not this one. Yes 

• This is good to know. I have been wondering about this terrible pain I've been having.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"