March 2014 Moms

Anybody ride horses?

I barrel race and while I will not be running barrels while PG, I will probably be riding some.  I did not ride at all with my first pregnancy!  What are you ladies planning to do?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageBabyFetus Ticker

Re: Anybody ride horses?

• sh266sh266 member
    I'm going to still ride, but only where I can control most of the factors...ie no trail rides with deer popping out of the woods! After the first tri I will probably back off and do lots of ground work. However, my friend is a horse trainer and her dr let her ride throughout her entire pregnancy. I worry too much to do that!

TTC Since July 2011  34 years old Unexplained IF
    3 failed IUI's, 6/2013 - IUI #4 150mg clomid, BFP, 7 weeks heartbeat, M/C at 9 weeks

IUI#5 (Oct) & 6 (Nov) 150mg clomid -BFN

Last IUI on 12/7 and that's the end of the road...onto adoption if that is what is meant to be for us. 

• My DH really wants to make an investment in race horses... We know nothing about horses other then how to bet on them LOL I'm thinking he will have to do some research first (and this project might be all talk). 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I'm an equine vet and rode for years - i know a LOT of women who ride through much of first and second trimester (they're fabulous riders and know their limits) - as long as you know that there's always a risk (which, heck, there's always a risk on or AROUND a horse - a horse tried to cowkick my belly when i was in third tri - i've never gotten so livid so quickly in my life!) and you know you're limits, i think you're fine. 
                                             Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker CafeMom Tickers
  • imagemamathefox:
    My DH really wants to make an investment in race horses... We know nothing about horses other then how to bet on them LOL I'm thinking he will have to do some research first (and this project might be all talk). 

So i know a fair bit about racehorses because i was in that business for years and, if you want to make money or even keep your money, i would NOT invest in a racehorse. That is an absolutely losing proposition. Most people who invest in horses have either a) the capital to waste/lose or b) so in love with the industry that they're willing to make educated gambles. But horses are always, always, ALWAYS a gamble - even if you have the next derby winner, you are one colic, one soft tissue injury or one shipping pneumonia away from a disaster.

Absolutely your money to do what you want with but i have yet to see a person grow rich from investing in horses.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker CafeMom Tickers
  • Last pregnancy I rode until about the third tri when it began to be uncomfortable. After the first tri I stayed in the ring and did mostly walk/trot or ground work. 

• Thank you for the Mcat! I will show my DH this post. I would rather have interest bearing investments LOL 

• JayNina-  I noticed you pic a while ago and meant to say something to you!

I'm a dressage/eventer.  Doing the same as I did last pregnancy and riding through the first tri.  I'm not jumping anymore, avoid unfamiliar horses and don't push my horses as hard (so they can't reach their frustration point.)  But, I'm actually doing a show in a week.

After first tri. I stop riding, but still work my horses from the ground.  I think it's interesting though- last pregnancy my none horse friends judged me for still riding and my horse friend judged me for stopping.  (I know a few who rode into their third tri.)  You've got to do what you're comfortable with.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Glad I am not the only horse crazy nut who will be riding while PG.  My mare only has about 60 days riding on her so we will be staying in the arena too.  The last trail ride she jumped at some birds...LOL
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageBabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"