2nd Trimester

Anyone here take B Complex?

After 3 years of TTC, I started taking a B Complex vitamin because I read it can help with leveling hormones and progesterone. Lo and behold, 1 month after taking it my body manages to spit out an egg on its own and viola, I'm pregnant.

Now my dilemma, I don't know if I should continue the B Complex or stop it. Because I know it's what helped me get pregnant, I'm terrified of stopping it and then losing the baby. I know that sounds silly but after 2 losses and 3 years, I'm desperate to hold onto this baby. Then again, I don't want to be harming the baby by taking too much vitamin, especially since I'm taking a prenatal. Although most things I've read online states that the vitamin is water solvuable so you pee out the excess. 

My doctor's answer was "Just don't take too much Viramin A". Um, ok, that doesn't help me with my Vitamin B dilemma! I'm going to call tomorrow to get more clarity but in the meantime, do any of you guys take B Complex along with your prenatal?  

TTC#1=Feb 2009: 50 mg Clomid+Ovidrel shot+Metformin+Dexamethasone+TI=BFP!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC#2=July 2011: Surprise BFP: Chemical Pregnancy

Re: Anyone here take B Complex?

• imageSoozerella:
    I don't personally, but know that it's recommended to take extra if you have bad morning sickness. So I would assume it is fine to keep taking.

See I thought for morning sickness, B6 is recommended but I'm taking B complex, which has ALL vitamins jammed into 1 pill.  

• If your doctor didn't express a concern with you taking it, why worry? It might not be doing any good, but it sounds like it's not doing any harm either. Yes, get clarification from him, but I wouldn't trust advice from anyone other than a medical professional on this, personally.
      norathe girlsamelia
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I was eating primarily vegan before getting pregnant and took it daily to get my B12, along with a prenatal. Continued to take it daily throughout first trimester because my nausea made my diet so incomplete. I'm not following a vegan diet now (will probably get back on it after baby), but still take it maybe a couple times a week.

I haven't had a problem. 

• Ummm, seriously?! Call your doctors office back if you have additional questions. Why would you ask something like this to a group of strangers on the Internet?

• Yea, I wouldn't trust anyone other than your Dr. with this question OP.

Hope he gives you better clarification on this.
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I took a super b complex for about 8 years before getting pregnant. Even though b vitamins are water soluble,  I stopped taking it about a month into my pregnancy because I was worried about getting too much of one of the b vitamins...can't remember which one.  Basically your prenatal has everything you need.
  • I was taking B6 and D but stopped taking them at about 8 weeks. Now I just take the prenatal and DHA.
  • I took a B complex before getting preg with DD2 and this pregnancy.... I'm MTHFR heterozygous and have had 3 miscarriages, none while taking an extra B complex which may be coincidence but who knows.  I did continue to take the B complex but then slacked off after 13ish weeks only taking when I remembered and when I was nauseous.  I also take some vitamin D for my pasty skin/indoor job and now magnesium to ward off those charley horses which are horrible.

I have no problem with my patients taking what I listed above and neither does my OB who knows I take them.  Vit A is toxic in large doses, but you're not going to OD on a b-complex. 

5/08- blighted ovum, spont ab; 2/20/09- epi, VAVD, Girl! breastfed 24mo; 10/10- blighted ovum, spon ab; 12/10- no fetal pole, Cytotec; 11/20/11- unmedicated SVD, Girl! breastfed 18mo; 11/7/13- unmedicated SVD, breastfed 18mo; 2/11/16- unmedicated SVD, exclusively pumping to at least a year.

• esf60esf60 member
    I took it before I got pregnant, I continue to take it. Your B complex baby won't harm the baby at all.

• I take a stress formula B Complex daily.  My Dr is fine with it.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Thanks guys, I feel a bit better about taking it. Although I may do what drcolleen suggested and wean off it after 13 weeks. 

And to clarify, I was not asking for medical advice. Simply asking who here takes it. Sheesh, didn't know I had to have my flame retardant suit on for such a simple question! 

• FWIW: I take a megadose of Niacin (vitamin B-3, at 1,000 mg.) to treat depression (I'm suuuuuper anti-meds, but extremely pro-vitamin) and when I brought my vitamins in at my first prenatal appointment, my doctor was like, "Awesome.  No need to stop now."

Vitamin A's a big deal, as is megadosing on B-6 (like, seriously megadosing 400 mg and above) but if your doc says its fine, roll on, sister.  B vitamins help your immune system and keep your attitude bright and sunny -- hope this helps to reassure you. 

Lilypie - (V9Ze)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"