October 2013 Moms

GTKY- Year old wedding cake.

Today is our one year anniversary and we just took a bite of the top tier of our wedding cake. I can honestly say it was disgusting. 

Here's a picture for proof. So gross.

Did anyone else give into this tradition?

On another note, I just drank my first glass of wine in I don't know how long.  

Me 26, Hubs 32
Married 7.14.12
DS 10.29.13
BFP 06.20.16
*It's a boy!*
EDD 03.03.17
                                                      BabyFruit Ticker

Re: GTKY- Year old wedding cake.

• Did you let it thaw enough?

We ate ours and watched our wedding video, we waited a whole year to watch it. Ours was delicious and the video was hilarious so glad we waited and made a night of it.

photo 45ad94ec-8f7e-4e11-afa6-d58d009e0ecb_zpse556e368.jpg  image image

• Ahhh, more about the wine! And no, we skipped the cake at our 1 year because everyone says its horrible, lol!
  • Loading the player...
  • My mother works at a bakery and provided our wedding cake for us on the condition that we NOT follow this tradition because it would taste gross.  She promised instead to give us a replica top tier, freshly baked, for our first anniversary.  It was sooo tasty.

My mother is awesome! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image
  • Yeah I put it in the fridge yesterday morning then pulled it out this morning. It was completely defrosted. 

We coordinated each table number with an anniversary card, so we got to read our first one today (which happened to be my family's table) it was incredible sweet. We have one for every year for the next 25 years.  

Edit: I meant to hit quote. My bad! 

Me 26, Hubs 32
    Married 7.14.12
    DS 10.29.13
    BFP 06.20.16
    *It's a boy!*
    EDD 03.03.17
                                                          BabyFruit Ticker
  • My wedding cake came from my favorite bakery, and it was so delicious that my sister and I polished off the bottom layer, yes bottom layer, while standing around the counter the day after. It never stood a chance making it to the freezer. I'm glad, too! Doesn't sound like it would have been worth it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagehuntjul:

My mother works at a bakery and provided our wedding cake for us on the condition that we NOT follow this tradition because it would taste gross.  She promised instead to give us a replica top tier, freshly baked, for our first anniversary.  It was sooo tasty.

My mother is awesome! 

My MIL made ours! She actually dyed the inside blue, so that was a special surprise when we cut it just now (Blue was our primary wedding color).

Does anyone still use their toasting glasses every year? 

Me 26, Hubs 32
    Married 7.14.12
    DS 10.29.13
    BFP 06.20.16
    *It's a boy!*
    EDD 03.03.17
                                                          BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagebeernifer:
    We did not do that for that very reason. Our cake was too yummy to ruin the top part for a silly tradition. Instead we just ate it a few days after the wedding for breakfast. Congrats on the one year anniversary!

I was so into the idea of eating a year ago! Now I'm kicking myself!

and thank you! 

Me 26, Hubs 32
    Married 7.14.12
    DS 10.29.13
    BFP 06.20.16
    *It's a boy!*
    EDD 03.03.17
                                                          BabyFruit Ticker
  • We did and it was completely disgusting!! We froze it first, wrapped in plastic wrap like 3 times, then about 3 more times in aluminum foil and it still tasted like nastiness from the freezer.

DD#1~Emma Dawn 12/19/00 7lb 10 oz 21"
    DD#2~Daphney Mae 04/17/03 7lb 13oz 21"
    DD#3~Grace Deonea 05/20/10 8lb 2oz 21"
        DS#1~Brody Maxwell born 10/16/13 8lb 10oz 21"

• I'm sure your fetus enjoyed that buzz.
  • We had a croquembouche, french wedding cake, and we didn't think any would hold up well in the freezer.

I did however, put on my wedding dress on our first anniversary. It still fit! I didn't even try this year though, on account of the bump. 

• No way. I ate any left over cake that week LOL my cake was so good I didn't want to ruin it by eating it freezer burnt a year later.

Oh and Happy Anniversary!  

• I made a replica of the top tier for us. We didnt want to eat year old freezer burn cake. I've heard that some save well. But we just served it at our wedding cause I knew we wouldn't be interested.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • We did, and ours was FABULOUS. I'm a baker though so I knew how to properly wrap it. You've got to use a certain brand or two of saran wrap; generic brands are way too permeable and allow the grossness of a freezer seep through. 

As a side note.. MANY bakeries freeze their cakes ahead of time and thaw them out when needed.  

BTW - HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    DSC_0552-2  Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • As long as it was sealed, stayed frozen solid all year and is thawed correctly it should have tasted the same as it did on your wedding day. We actually ate pieces of our wedding cake for a year and a half after our wedding(We wanted a big cake and small wedding, so our freezer was stuffed with it). And it tasted great the whole time. 
  • I came to the conclusion that this is a cruel joke played on newly weds. Confirmed my theory after calling my mom and listening to her laugh at us.

We had cupcakes at our wedding so I saved two, a tiramisu and passion fruit. Both were disgusting, but the alcohol in the tiramisu was still good!

Happy anniversary!
  • imagebatmandi:
    I'm sure your fetus enjoyed that buzz.

Failed attempt at snark?
  • imagebatmandi:

Oh yes, I clearly got a buzz from my one glass of wine this whole pregnancy. A little melodramatic are we? 

Me 26, Hubs 32
    Married 7.14.12
    DS 10.29.13
    BFP 06.20.16
    *It's a boy!*
    EDD 03.03.17
                                                          BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageSkyjewell23:

imagebatmandi:

Oh yes, I clearly got a buzz from my one glass of wine this whole pregnancy. A little melodramatic are we? 

I didn't say you got a buzz. I don't think your kid knows how to hold their alcohol well at this point though. Good job prepping them for their inevitable future.
  • Ours was actually really good. We did everything you are supposed to do to preserve it and the special defrost instructions. Went into it saying we would only eat a fork full just for traditions sake and we ended up both eating a piece and the hubs had two!
    Mom to one in heaven. Mom to one here on Earth.

BFP - 12/1
    First U/S - 12/11 Saw heartbeat
    Second U/S - 12/18 HR 120 BPM 
    Third U/S - 12/23/2014 HR 150 BPM

Due Date - 8/8/2015 
    Arrival Date - 8/3/2015 - Asher David 8 lbs 5 oz 21 1/2"

• imagebatmandi:

I didn't say you got a buzz. I don't think your kid knows how to hold their alcohol well at this point though. Good job prepping them for their inevitable future.

LOL!! Baby was probably in their practicing keg stands, eh batmandi?

OP clearly you are in need of a reality check. :P
  • We ate ours on our one year anniversary and it was delicious! We used fry ice to transport it from my parents house to ours and it was totally worth it.
    Mommy to Alden, born May 19, 2007 - best birthday present ever! natural m/c October 20, 2008 at 8w1d BFP April 4, 2009! Missed m/c discovered May 1, 2009 D&C May 12,2009 BFP March 3, 2010 Chemical pregnancy BFP May 25, 2010 Elias Derek born January 26, 2011! Surprise BFP October 24, 2012 Missed m/c confirmed Nov 26 D&C Nov 30 Surprise BFP February 13, 2013
  • imagebatmandi:
    imageSkyjewell23:

imagebatmandi:

Did someone piss in your cheerios this morning? 

Me 26, Hubs 32
    Married 7.14.12
    DS 10.29.13
    BFP 06.20.16
    *It's a boy!*
    EDD 03.03.17
                                                          BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageSkyjewell23:
    imagebatmandi:
    imageSkyjewell23:

imagebatmandi:

I don't eat Cheerios.
  • imagemissgpsu:
    We had pasteries and gelato at our wedding so we had some year old gelato.  It was so icy, it was disgusting!  We bought new pasteries like the ones we had at the wedding and ate those too.  Much better!

Year old gelato sounds terrible! Glad you saved it with new pastries though! 

Me 26, Hubs 32
    Married 7.14.12
    DS 10.29.13
    BFP 06.20.16
    *It's a boy!*
    EDD 03.03.17
                                                          BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagebatmandi:
    imageSkyjewell23:

I don't eat Cheerios.

Just piss, then?
  • i actually agree with batmandi.  i totally judge pregnant alcohol drinkers.   

• We had cupcakes at our wedding :3 flavors: butterbeer, pumpkin, strawberry: instead of a cake, and we had zero left by the end of the night. I ordered a dozen of the butterbeer for our anniversary and they were AMAZEBALLS!!!

Edit: I definitely side eye people who drink alcohol while prego...even if it is just one glass. Sorry!

Edit again: Do you think the blue dye had something to do with the horrible flavor?

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

BFP #1: Mother's Day 5/13/12...m/c Memorial Day Weekend 5/26/12 

BFP #2: 2/16/13...Owen Ray born 6 weeks early 9/9/13

photo e0fadb54-1cd9-4c5f-8086-5e25d4789dbe_zps5ef23e41.jpg
  • imageCousinVicki:
    i actually agree with batmandi.  i totally judge pregnant alcohol drinkers.   

Cool story? I think we have all been judged by you a time or two on this board.  

Me 26, Hubs 32
    Married 7.14.12
    DS 10.29.13
    BFP 06.20.16
    *It's a boy!*
    EDD 03.03.17
                                                          BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageCousinVicki:
    i actually agree with batmandi. nbsp;i totally judge pregnant alcohol drinkers. nbsp;nbsp;

For one glass of wine? Next you'll be saying you want to give your 6 month old an iPad.
  • imagescamberlous3000:
    We had cupcakes at our wedding :3 flavors: butterbeer, pumpkin, strawberry: instead of a cake, and we had zero left by the end of the night. I ordered a dozen of the butterbeer for our anniversary and they were AMAZEBALLS!!!

Butterbeer? That sounds amazing.  

Me 26, Hubs 32
    Married 7.14.12
    DS 10.29.13
    BFP 06.20.16
    *It's a boy!*
    EDD 03.03.17
                                                          BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageSkyjewell23:

imagescamberlous3000:
    We had cupcakes at our wedding :3 flavors: butterbeer, pumpkin, strawberry: instead of a cake, and we had zero left by the end of the night. I ordered a dozen of the butterbeer for our anniversary and they were AMAZEBALLS!!!

You.have.no.idea! Like, they are make you have to go home and change your panties good :mobile winky:

• elllafelllaf member

imagetaylormarie923:
    imagebatmandi:
    LOL!! Baby was probably in their practicing keg stands, eh batmandi? OP clearly you are in need of a reality check. :P
    I see what you did there ::mobile smiley::

Edited!

oh FFS

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagescamberlous3000:
    imageSkyjewell23:

imagescamberlous3000:

You.have.no.idea! Like, they are make you have to go home and change your panties good :mobile winky:

I just had butterbeer at Universal Studios back in May and fell in love. I can only imagine it in a cupcake. I am now going to look at all the bakeries to see if I can find one.   

Edit: typos 

Me 26, Hubs 32
    Married 7.14.12
    DS 10.29.13
    BFP 06.20.16
    *It's a boy!*
    EDD 03.03.17
                                                          BabyFruit Ticker
  • We ate ours on our one year anniversary and it was delicious. Ditto pps about having to wrap it correctly. My mom asked the bakery for the best way and it must have worked because we enjoyed every bite!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagePharmDMom:
    We ate ours on our one year anniversary and it was delicious. Ditto pps about having to wrap it correctly. My mom asked the bakery for the best way and it must have worked because we enjoyed every bite!

I wish I had asked someone. To be honest, I never really thought about it. I assumed everyone's was going to be gross. Dang it.  

Me 26, Hubs 32
    Married 7.14.12
    DS 10.29.13
    BFP 06.20.16
    *It's a boy!*
    EDD 03.03.17
                                                          BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagetaylormarie923:
    imageCousinVicki:
    i actually agree with batmandi. nbsp;i totally judge pregnant alcohol drinkers. nbsp;nbsp;
    For one glass of wine? Next you'll be saying you want to give your 6 month old an iPad.

it's just a completely unnecessary thing to do .  i feel like people do it just to flout conventional wisdom "look at ME drinking WINE!"    kinda eye-rollish either way. 

• imageSkyjewell23:
    imagescamberlous3000:
    imageSkyjewell23:

imagescamberlous3000:

I just had butterbeer at Universal Studios back in May and fell in love. I can only imagine it in a cupcake. I am now going to look at all the bakeries to see if I can find one.   

I specifically requested them from my baker, and she was thrilled to oblige. Maybe you can do the same if you can't find them on the menu?

• imageCousinVicki:

imagetaylormarie923:
    imageCousinVicki:

it's just a completely unnecessary thing to do .  i feel like people do it just to flout conventional wisdom "look at ME drinking WINE!"    kinda eye-rollish either way. 

Did you miss the part where it's my first anniversary? So it wasn't exactly to "flout conventional wisdom" it was to have a toast with my husband with our wedding glasses. If you want to judge me for that go for it, 

I will say I definitely enjoyed that glass of wine though. Worth going on CV's hit list. 

Me 26, Hubs 32
    Married 7.14.12
    DS 10.29.13
    BFP 06.20.16
    *It's a boy!*
    EDD 03.03.17
                                                          BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagescamberlous3000:
    imageSkyjewell23:
    imagescamberlous3000:
    imageSkyjewell23:

imagescamberlous3000:

I specifically requested them from my baker, and she was thrilled to oblige. Maybe you can do the same if you can't find them on the menu?

I am definitely going to look! I will let you know if/when I get my hands on one! 

Me 26, Hubs 32
    Married 7.14.12
    DS 10.29.13
    BFP 06.20.16
    *It's a boy!*
    EDD 03.03.17
                                                          BabyFruit Ticker
  • Nope, we didn't partake in this tradition. Nothing is better than fresh cake!

After almost 3 years of IF and a crazy roadside delivery, we are loving life with our second beautiful daughter! Lilypie First Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"