March 2013 Moms
Options

Childcare, what are you doing?

What is everyone doing? I had a bad experience with a nanny and it appears all the best nannies require full time. If you have a nanny what kind of terms do you have with them ($$, pay vacation, holidays, hours per week, ect). I am also curious who is using daycare and how your experience has been thus far.

Re: Childcare, what are you doing?

• Options
    We are doing in home 3 days a week. LO starts October. Good nannies here start at 20 an hour without taxes factored in.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    We go to a small daycare center at a church and love it. Dd only goes 3 days a week.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We started out with a baby-sitter (friend of mine who was out of work) to fill in the waiting period between me going back to work and a spot at a daycare opening up. We had to start daycare early because my friend called in sick with a migraine on a day when I couldn't have taken off without incurring an attendance penalty, and DH had a bunch of meetings. The spot had opened up starting that week, but we were going to have him finish out the week with my friend. DH was kind of sore with my friend over that, but has since gotten over it.

As for daycare, we have loved it. They are always on top of things and have called us to inform us of important things, like the AC going out or DS having a fever. They were also really sweet in posting a Welcome Jacob sign on the door to the infant room the week he started. He always seems happy when we pick him up and they're great about communicating feedings and diaper changes. We've had no problems with them so far.

• Options

we have a nanny that requires full time so we have her in home 5 days a week (8-5:30) for 17/hr including holidays.  i think it's adding up to around 40K a year.  she also will cook baby food later when he starts eating solids and does light cleaning around the house (makes beds, cleans kitchen, laundry)

we are thinking of switching to day care when he is 1 year old since the cost of having a nanny is so expensive.   that being said she is amazing with him and i never worry during the day since i know he is in good hands. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    imageejs1of3:
    We go to a small daycare center at a church and love it. Dd only goes 3 days a week.

Us too, but DD goes full time. I absolutely love the center and her teachers. And it's only 2 minutes away from our house and my office, so I can go hang out with her in my lunch break. It's so nice having peace of mind! Worth every penny.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We're lucky.... MIL watches our kids whenever we need her. I'm on summer break now, but when I go back to work she'll have both of them!

DS1 -6/25/11

DS2 -3/23/13

Missed MC D&C 8/26/14

DD - 8/26/15

LO#4 due 5/30/17

• Options
    I work at DS1's daycare teaching Pre-K.  It's a great place and they take great care of the kids.  The owner and director are very hands on.  DS2 will be starting there when I go back to work in August and I am looking forward to having him in the baby room.  The teachers in that room are really on top of things.

image image
  • Options
    We're using daycare. We're using the same one we used with DS1 and we loved it so it was a no-brainer. It's tough in the beginning, especially with an infant, but ultimately I love the daycare experience and I totally feel like DS1 was early to do a lot of stuff because he was around other kids who were just a little older and doing them already. Plus, I never have to worry about the provider being sick or taking vacation, there's a director to go to with any issues, etc.
  • Options
    jbatchjbatch member
    I run a church daycare so I have a different situation than most people. I do not think I would want to have a nanny over a daycare considering sick time and vacation etc.

I have a Daughter born 2/26/2013. She is pretty much amazing!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options

imagemal922:
    We hired a nanny because I work from home and my hours can be a little unpredictable, so I need someone who is available in the evening on an occasional basis. My husband also travels a lot for his job, so it was just the best choice for us. We found someone reliable who has a good track record with her past families, so I'm not overly worried about sick days and vacation. We pay her a weekly salary and will pay her for days that we travel or are off work for banking holidays, etc. She doesn't mind working most of her vacations around our preplanned stuff, so having to give her a few days here and there for appointments and such doesn't bother me. I figure we would still need a back up plan if my son gets sick and can't go to daycare or if the daycare is closed on a day we don't get off from work. We pay her a little less per hour than what the PPs who have used nannies said, but we do treat her like an employee for tax purposes and pay into the Social Security and Medicare system for her, so she doesn't expect quite as high of an hourly rate.

Thats interesting and sounds like our situation. However, our nanny was okay with us taking taxes, but wanted us to pay ALL taxes so she expected more per week. We decided to pay under the table as it was cheaper for us. We make too much to get any tax benefit for childcare.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"