Breastfeeding

Forced pump weaning (vent/rant?)

I have decided to give up on pumping. I am getting on average 3-6 ounces a day, pumping 3x a day, at least 15 mins each time. No matter what I do (increase water/calories/try to 'relax'/fenugreek/nurse extra on the weekends) I cannot seem to increase my pumping output. Honestly, it's mentally draining me. I'm already teetering on the edge of my sanity dealing with the death of my mom, stressful work situation, and just trying to raise LO.

I just can't do it anymore. I wish it could have been on my terms (I was planning to wean off the pump at 12 months anyway, and try to continue nursing in the AM & PM), but it looks like it's happening a little earlier than I planned. Hopefully my supply still cooperates and lets me nurse in the AM & PM still.

imageimage

Re: Forced pump weaning (vent/rant?)

• I'm sorry you didn't get to wean from the pump on your own terms. But, I'm hoping that breaking up with the pump is positive for you. I think you are amazing for pumping this long!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks Hun. Just bittersweet! And the dang pics didn't show in my post. Damn you tinypic!
  • Loading the player...
  • I continued to pump through the end of the school year, even though I was only getting about 1/2 an ounce each day.  We didn't have any trouble BF the rest of the time.  LO got formula at daycare and my measly 1/2 ounce.  Now that school is out we are BF more and I haven't pumped in weeks.  My supply seems to be holding, we are supplementing with a few ounces of formula each day in a sippy cup.
    my read shelf:
    Erika's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Oct Angel Babies Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I thought I was having pump issues. Just had to change out membranes. Just a thought
  • I think it's around that age!  With DS1, I had pumping issues around 9 months too.  I think he may have started to drop a feeding also around then and was eating more solid food.  I kept pumping because he needed milk for daycare and we supplemented with what I had in the freezer.  After a few weeks, I started getting enough for daycare again!  I'm sure you've probably already checked, but have you checked your pump?  Change the membranes and have your LC check the suction on it.  It might just be a pump issue.  Breast compressions while pumping help a lot too if you aren't already doing that.  Either way, you've had a great run at 9 months and should be proud of yourself!!

ETA: Stress is known to cause low supply too. So, dealing with a recent death could cause your supply to tank for awhile.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"