Breastfeeding

supply diminishing

My supply is diminishing so we started supplementing with formula and then she had an allergic reaction to formula and now I font know what to do. Any ideas?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: supply diminishing

• If your supply is diminishing, adding formula can lower your supply even more. To boost your supply, try nursing DD more often. Offering as often as you think to, and following her hunger cues rather than a schedule can help. Even if she nurses for just 2 minutes, that stimulation will cause your breasts to produce more milk.

It can also help your supply to take a "nursing vacation" during which you snuggle DD in bed for half a day or a whole day if you have the time, doing lots of skin to skin and nursing as frequently as she will.  

What indicators do you have that your supply is diminishing? 

imageimage
  • When I pump I am getting less and less and I am not able to pump enough to cover her for while I am at work.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Is it possible that she is being overfed while you're at work? You should aim to pump one ounce for every hour you're away, so if you're apart for 9 hours, you should leave approx. 9 ounces for the time you're apart.

It may also help to make sure you're nursing just before you leave LO and immediately upon your return. Make sure that LO's caregiver doesn't offer a bottle for the last 1 to 2 hours before you get there.

What kind of pump do you use? Have you cleaned or replaced any parts lately, and for how long have you been using it? Pump output isn't a good indicator of supply but more often is an indicator of pump parts needing to be cleaned and/ or replaced. Do you notice a higher supply on Monday than on Friday?
    imageimage
  • Also, how often do you pump? Is it possible for you to add an extra pumping session to your workday?

Make sure that you're pumping for at least 15 minutes, even while no milk is flowing. The extra stimulation will increase your supply.

imageimage
  • Thank you for all these tips!
  • I would definitely talk to a lactation consultant. Your health insurance should cover it, and she might know of a formula that can work for baby. Whether pumping or breastfeeding, make sure to do it every 2 hours during the day and every 3 hours overnight. If you don't have a hospital grade dual pump, the lactation consultant can help you get a rental. Your health insurance should cover this as well. Once you are pumping/breastfeeding often, use lactation herbs to boost up your supply. Make sure to use more than just fenugreek. My LC recommended this and it has worked great for me. I drink Breastea (website is the same name) and I also use malunggay capsules. My pump output has increased a lot as long as I use them daily.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"