February 2013 Moms

We vax, they don't. WWYD?

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Note:  this post is not meant to spark a vaccination debate.  I?m just curious what others think.

Anyways, we share a house with BIL, SIL and their 16-month-old, Annie.  The house is divided into two separate suites and the only shared spaces are the laundry room, garage and the yards.

We are vaccinating DS and they are not vaccinating Annie.  There have been recently reported cases of measles in our city and it worries me because DS won?t get the measles vaccine until the one-year vax.  Would you limit your LO?s contact with Annie?  I asked my family doctor and he said no, but an acquaintance who is a pedi said to limit their contact.

Honestly, we?re not close with BIL and SIL and the kids don't play together so it?s no real hardship for us to keep them apart.  I'm just concerned about them crossing paths. WWYD?

/* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

Re: We vax, they don't. WWYD?

• No, I would not avoid contact.

• Assuming your child has no underlying health issues I wouldn't worry about it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Considering the fact that there have been recently reported cases of measles in your area, I would try to avoid contact.
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• I would because of the recent outbreak.
    Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • Living in the same building it's going to be hard to truly prevent exposure (thinking about the shared washing machines and garage), but I would keep a close eye when they're together and be a little more vigilant about disinfecting due to this. I'm not usually a clorox/purell fan or germaphobe, but this is a time I would use those things.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would because of the recent outbreak.  We recently went out with a mom's group I'm part of online (and sometimes IRL, same city.)   It occurred to me later that a LOT of them are unvaccinated (based on earlier discussions I know this.)  Even though I like them all, we probably won't make a habit of seeing them a lot in real life until both my kids are fully vaccinated.  I just don't want to take the chance, and having that many people all in one big group that are unvaccinated is scary to me.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagepitterpatter129:

I would because of the recent outbreak.  We recently went out with a mom's group I'm part of online (and sometimes IRL, same city.)   It occurred to me later that a LOT of them are unvaccinated (based on earlier discussions I know this.)  Even though I like them all, we probably won't make a habit of seeing them a lot in real life until both my kids are fully vaccinated.  I just don't want to take the chance, and having that many people all in one big group that are unvaccinated is scary to me.

This exactly!
  • If there is an "outbreak" then yes, definitely. If there are "reported" cases then no, I wouldn't worry much. My neighbor isn't doing any vaccinations yet we are. There are no cases, yet if there were this is what I would follow.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm just curious...what happens when unvaccinated kids are ready for public school? Don't most states have vaccination policies before children are admitted to kindergarten? 
  • imageuncaripswife:
    I'd limit contact with unvaccinated kids even if there weren't a measles outbreak.

This. When I was 6 months old, too young for the MMR my mother contracted the measles. I had to live with my aunt for 2-3 weeks with no exposure to my mom. I think they gave me an early dose of the Measles/Rubelae vax too without the Mumps, since you have to wait til 12 months for that.

Measles can be horrible for the really young. I'd definitely stay away from children/adults that you know aren't vaccinating.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagemarionravenwood:
    I'm just curious...what happens when unvaccinated kids are ready for public school? Don't most states have vaccination policies before children are admitted to kindergarten? 

I think if you have a reason (religion, etc.) or doctor's note, then you don't have to follow that policy. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageJackigan:

Measles transmission has been clearly documented among vaccinated people. In some large outbreaks over 95% of cases have been vaccinated.  According to the WHO, the odds are 15 times greater that measles will strike those vaccinated against the disease than those who are left alone.

That's likely because of risk behavior. If you've been vaxed, you'll be less cautious about contact. If you haven't been vaxed, you'll make sure to stay away from potential outbreaks/carriers whenever possible. I can't really believe that getting the vaccine and having it fail in you (possible) somehow increases your likelihood of contracting the disease.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• imageJackigan:
    imagesecondaryPULSE:

To be honest, we're really crunchy, and the majority of our friends don't vaccinate. Does it make me nervous? A little, but mostly because E doesn't have all of her vaccines yet. As an RN, I have spent a lot of time researching vaccines. Before DS was born, I re-read all the vaccine inserts, and dabble in the anti-vaccine information out there. The more you question and research (credible, evidence-based information) the easier the decision was to vaccinate.

I have also spent a great deal of time researching, reading package inserts and studies and articles and books after books after books written by credible doctors, neurosurgeons etc. with evidence-based information. Except it was clear to me to choose not to vax. 

Re: herd immunity: The concept of herd immunity hasn't existed in this country in decades because vaccines don't last a lifetime.  Herd immunity was intended to be applied to a population that had become immune through the natural course of an infection.  It was then applied to vaccinations because they assumed vaccinations had the same type of immunity as natural immunity.  It does not.  Most vaccines lose their effectiveness 2 to 10 years after being given.  This means that at least half the population have had no vaccine-induced immunity against any of the diseases they were vaccinated for since early in their life.   At least 50% or more of the population was unprotected for decades. They say we are at risk for resurgent massive epidemics if the vac. rate falls below 95% but we've been living for at least 30-40 years with only half of the population having vaccine protection and no resurgent epidemics have occurred.

You can't ever get life long immunity to diseases such as measles or pertussis through vaccinations.  So lets say all young children are vaxed - then they may be protected.  But since the vax wears off by adulthood, and adolescents and adults can have pertussis without knowing it (can seem like a bad cold for adults), they can spread it around.  Having been vaxed in infancy MAY have kept them from contracting it as children, but does nothing to stop the spread of the disease.

IMO your last paragraph just shows why people should vax and adults should keep up on all their vaccinations as well, to stop the spread of disease. This is why they recommend that people, especially new parents, gets their pertussis vaccinations.
    Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • imageJackigan:
    imagesecondaryPULSE:

You can't ever get life long immunity to diseases such as measles or pertussis through vaccinations.  So lets say all young children are vaxed - then they may be protected.  But since the vax wears off by adulthood, and adolescents and adults can have pertussis without knowing it (can seem like a bad cold for adults), they can spread it around.  Having been vaxed in infancy MAY have kept them from contracting it as children, but does nothing to stop the spread of the disease.

This is why adults are supposed to get boosters of vaccinations.  If you bother to visit the doctor or Walgreens once every ten years, then it's pretty much plastered all over their walls that you need a booster shot of many vaccines. I've had a measles and 2 tetanus and a pertussis all in the past 8 yrs.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"