January 2014 Moms

Diaper Brands

My fianc and I decided to get a little of a head start on purchasing some diapers to store away for our new little peanut. I am a first time mom, and was wondering if there is one brand that is better than another? My mom used pampers on all 4 of my siblings and myself and swore by them. Not sure if it matters or not. Just wanting some input.

Re: Diaper Brands

• I almost posted this last week-- looking forward to responses. I'm leaning towards huggies.

My cat can read EKGs, can your human do that?
    ♥BFP#1 12-23-12, M/C 12-31-12 at 5w4d♥
    ♥BFP#2 05-09-13, EDD 01-15-14. C/S 12-23-13 at 36w5d for complete previa. Healthy baby boy♥

• I only used disposables for about 3 weeks before switching to cloth, but during that time I liked Pampers Swaddlers. 

OHM born 12/16/11, BAM born 1/10/14, mmc 06/30/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We'll use Pampers Swaddlers for the first 3-4 weeks and then we are using cloth.

**********************************************************************************************************************

Diagnosed with PCOS June 2010, TTC#1 since May 2012
    Cycle#1-3 Clomid 50mg + TI= No response
    Cycle#4-5 Clomid 150mg + Metformin 1000mg + TI= BFN, but finally ovulation!!!
    Cycle #6 Clomid 150mg + Metformin 1500mg + IUI(4/15)= BFP!!! EDD 01/06/2014 <br>

Stella Margaret arrived on December 21, 2013!

imageimage image

• I like Pampers Swaddlers best for newborns. I've heard good things about Huggies but never tried.

We sometimes use Target or Costco brand for our toddlers and of those two I like Target, and do not like Costco. Still though, we mostly buy Pampers. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Honestly, it's all a matter of personal preference. I used to buy the bulk boxes of Huggies at Costco. But if I ran out in between Costco runs I would buy store brand diapers. The only store brand I found I didn't like was the Wal-Mart brand. Eventually, I ended up switching to just buying store brands because they were cheaper and I was a single mom at the time. My daughter never leaked or had blow outs.

My question: is Amazon mom worth it? 

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Jacob & Audra - married since 05.28.11
    Emma Kate - born 10.16.03 @ 29 weeks, weighed 1lb 13oz and 13.5" long.
    Ozzy Joseph - born 11.01.13 @ 31 weeks, weighed 3lbs 7oz and 16" long.
    TTC #3
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

• I use Pampers Swaddlers in sizes 1 and 2, but once they get to size 3, I switch to Huggies.  They just hold more.  Pampers brand ALWAYS leak for me (or just feel "damp" in general... :::shudders:::).

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• I used both and would say I prefer pampers 1000 times. Never leaks!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would recommend purchasing gift cards instead of diapers right now.  You dont know what size your child will be in for how long or which diaper brand will work best.  We tried cloth, Nature Babycare, Huggies, Luvs, Target brand and finally settled on Pampers.  DS got rashes from cloth, Nature Babycare and Target brand and blew out or leaked out of Huggies and Luvs like whoa.  It would be a waste to purchase diapers that you never use or don't work, but it is not a waste to have gift cards on hand to purchase diapers as you need them.
  • imagealwaysadream528:
    Although I have not had kids of my own, I have worked as a nanny and I have done a lot of babysitting. From those experiences, you may not want to buy too many diapers in advance in case you end up not liking them for your child. Every child is different and I have seen many families switch diaper brands to accommodate their individual child in terms of fit and durability.nbsp;

Yep! This is me too. The family I currently nanny for has tried a ton of brands and many of them leak w their DS, so they've been switching quite frequently.

December Siggy Challenge: Love Actually

Married DH: April 21 2012 // Expecting our first: Jan 20 2014
    BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• I tried a couple brands due to receiving them at baby shower, then i tried target brand. I swear by target!
  • Everyone will have their own preference on diapers. Like others have said, don't go crazy buying diapers. There are so many factors that go into them, size, shape, hold, etc. You really won't know what you like until your baby gets here. 

Personally, we have used Pampers. Never had a leaking issue unless it was time to move to the next size. I didn't like Huggies or Luvs at all.

I like PP who said put the money on Gift Cards. That way the money is "secure" and you can buy them as needed and you know you won't waste your money. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerVisit my Etsy shop for adorable baby bows: Rachelle's Baby Boutique
  • Pampers swaddler sensitive for newborn through size 3. Then I switched to Honest co. I love their diapers. Not cheap, but worth it IMO.  Will use pampers swaddler sensitive again in beginning. I like the wet line indicator.  Tried huggies and hated them. It is personal preference though.

• It depends on the kid.

For my nephew, I loved Huggies. He peed through Pampers instantly and it drove me nuts. (I nannied him)

My sister prefers Pampers for her girls because they pee through Huggies. She used Target brand for a little while but her older daughter always gets a yeast rash with Target brand, I guess they don't breathe enough for her. She usually CDs though.

I liked Huggies Snugglers and Pampers Swaddlers for the newborn/infant stage. I hated Huggies Snug and Dry, my kid pooped out of them every single time. We CD but for trips we buy pampers.

• I liked pampers 1st few weeks then switched to Huggies. At 1 year switched to target brand. Works for us
  • I agree with PPs that pampers swaddlers are best for newborn to 2 for most. Every kid is different. We never had a good experience with huggies until size 4 night time diapers. We have used luvs since size 3. Cheap and great for us. I have never met anyone who liked huggies for newborns and of course that's what the hospital here gives you for free when you leave. They use pampers while you are in the hospital.
  • Pampers and luvs have always worked best for us.  Huggies always leaked and any off brand I tried gave DS diaper rash.  

If you're gonna stock up I would buy Pampers and focus on the larger sizes (like 2 and 3) because they are in the small sizes for a short amount of time, and it seems like most babies are ok with Pampers.  I would also keep an envelope with all your receipts just in case you need to return or exchange them.

FWIW, I love Huggies wipes, overnight diapers, and swimmies, but for everyday diapers we only use Pampers or Luvs! 

• I'm a Pampers snob. I tried Huggies when DS was little, but they just felt so stiff. Pampers are super soft. I've never had any issues, but my kid is long and lean. I don't know if that makes a difference. I have heard Luvs work really well for girls, but not boys. I think it's personal preference sometimes!
  • I like Pampers and Huggies for newborns because they are a lot softer.  After a few months I switched to Luvs or Target brand and I saw no difference.  It saves a pretty good chunk of change too. I'll probably do the same thing this time.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I used Pampers for the first year. I loved them. I hated Huggies. I think Pampers were the best for blowouts. Then I tried Target brand and thought they felt stiff, they worked fine though. We use Luvs now. They work great and are cheaper than Pampers. I think Pampers are great for newborn to size 2 like a PP said. After that when the poop is more contained (most of the time...hahaha), something else could work that might be cheaper.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • I love targets up and up brand diapers. Newborn I only use huggies though
    ____________________________________________________________________________
                          My sweet Rylee girl 8-13-2007 and my sweet Emmett man 4-13-2010
                               Annaleigh Willow Elise born and passed at 26 weeks 1 day
                                      Thursday October 17th 2013 from trisomy 13
                                           Http://Alwaysannaleigh.WordPress.com

• ac1259ac1259 member
    imageLadyFilet:
    imageaessary03:

Honestly, it's all a matter of personal preference. I used to buy the bulk boxes of Huggies at Costco. But if I ran out in between Costco runs I would buy store brand diapers. The only store brand I found I didn't like was the Wal-Mart brand. Eventually, I ended up switching to just buying store brands because they were cheaper and I was a single mom at the time. My daughter never leaked or had blow outs.

My question: is Amazon mom worth it? 

I frequent 2 coupon sites, addicted to saving and southern savers, the consensus is the sales at Walgreens/target/etc are usually a better deal per diaper than amazon moms (specifically the jumbo packs). I am a FTM but these 2 sites have helped me save a lot of money grocery wise so I'm sure they are correct diaper wise.

here is an article on diaperpricing  https://www.southernsavers.com/2012/08/stocking-up-on-diapers-how-much-to-buy-at-what-price/

Personally, my husband is nuts about looking into how much we're paying per diaper and stuff, and if you're using amazon for anything else ( We use it for diapers, wipes, diaper genie refills, baby food) than the Amazon Mom with subscribe and save is a huge deal. We get 20% off our orders because we usually get 5 things delivered a month and it's the cheapest we've found anywhere for diapers.

To answer the original question, I loved Huggies for the newborn stage because it has this nice little cutout for where the cord stump is sitting so it doesn't rub. The pampers had like a tiny notch but still needed folded some to not irritate the cord. We used pampers swaddlers up until size 2 but after that they definitely felt kinda damp if they got heavy. We switched to Luvs for price and we've never had a problem. They don't feel as nice but they do the job. But we definitely loved Pampers Swaddlers in the beginning, didn't love the Cruisers as she got bigger though. Luvs are like half the price though so we might possibly be using those from the beginning this time, I guess we'll see! 

• We use Pampers, DS leaked out of everything else

• We did a 60/40 cloth/disposables over the course of our diaper days for DS (who is officially potty trained as of this week! YAY!).

I tired a lot of different brands depending on what was on sale, etc.  I used Target most often for two reasons 1) the characters/prints on a lot of diapers drive me crazy for whatever reason and the target polkadots are more palatable.  But primarily because 2) Target dipes seem to run on the half size and it seemed like the brands were too big or too small.  DS is 2yo and the largest size diaper he wore was a 3.  The 4s in every other brand just seemed way to big.

imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • We use a brand that doesn't bleach or add and chemicals to their diapers for our disposables. Bum Genius for our cloth.
  • I agree with many others about diapers being different for a lot of people.  We really like pampers, but my sister couldn't use them for her daughter because they gave her a rash so now she uses target brand and loves them.  So like others have said you may have to purchase a few kinds to discover what works best and what you like.
                                                                              Married 12/17/2011
                                                                                  K born 8/31/12                                 
                                                                                  C born 1/11/14
                                                                  BFP #3 Nov 2014: D&C January 2015
                                                                  BFP #4 Sept 2016: Due May 31 2017

• Pampers swaddlers are our brand of choice. Other brands we tried leaked everywhere

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I would agree with not stocking up too much.  We hated Huggies except the overnights which were kind of expensive.  We used Pampers until he got out of the newborn size and then moved to Target's Up and Up brand which we love.
  • I used Pampers the first few weeks. Now we use target brand and they work great. I HATED Kroger brand. Stock up! :)
  • We are planning on Cloth Diapering, but I know for the first week we will use disposables, I just don't know what brand yet. 
     ***********************************************************************************************
      blogbutton badge!!!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Most hospitals send you home with at least one pack of diapers too. We ended getting like 2 1/2 packs of newborn from the hospital. I took the open pack and the extra pack with the bassinet and they had one in the diaper bag they gave me. The only brand they had were Huggies and they worked fine for DS. But I didn't need anymore newborns after those packs. 
    Proud Step Mom to Zachary 10-26-98
    Loving Wife to Billy 04-28-07
    Proud mom to Jeremy 08-15-08

• In college I worked as an assistant teacher in the campus day care infant room. Parents brought in all types of diapers, some were formula fed, some were breastfed.  Huggies were the only ones we never had issues with leaking, esp with the breastfed runny poops. So I started with Huggies. No diaper will be foolproof 100% of the time, but I will swear by them.

DH was convinced I was being silly, so he tried a few others on his own... needless to say we went back to Huggies :)

My 2 December boys

• imageNY Mama:
    I would recommend purchasing gift cards instead of diapers right now.  You dont know what size your child will be in for how long or which diaper brand will work best.  It would be a waste to purchase diapers that you never use or don't work, but it is not a waste to have gift cards on hand to purchase diapers as you need them.

That.is.genius.

With DD, we were a Pampers Baby Dry family. With Baby Cow, who knows what will work best.

• imageac1259:

Personally, my husband is nuts about looking into how much we're paying per diaper and stuff, and if you're using amazon for anything else ( We use it for diapers, wipes, diaper genie refills, baby food) than the Amazon Mom with subscribe and save is a huge deal. We get 20% off our orders because we usually get 5 things delivered a month and it's the cheapest we've found anywhere for diapers.

I have to second this. Amazon Mom / Prime saves me. I don't have time to deal with coupons, and we get REALLY good prices on all of our subscriptions, which cover all kinds of consumer goods: diapers, wipes, diaper cream, deodorant for MH and I, shaving cream, pet food, mascara...the list goes on! I've compared prices with our local Target (we don't have a Wal-Mart), and we're saving at a minimum 15% from their shelf prices, and it comes to our house!!!

As for diapers, we've been Pampers Swaddlers since day 1... 

DS1 born 08.02.11

DS2 born 12.05.13

• We use Pampers Swaddlers Sensitive.  I would honestly recommend holding off on buying lots of diapers until you know what you/your baby like/can tolerate.  You also don't know how big baby will be and how fast they will grow.  For instance, DD was in newborn size for a month, 1's for a couple months, 2's for a couple months and has now been in 3's for 1.5 years.  Some of her friends are in size 5's now.  I'd recommend a couple small packs of different brands of newborn diapers, wait until you decide what you like, and then you can buy more.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    BFP #1 3/27/10 - mmc discovered 5/20/10 at 11w2d - d&c 5/21/10
    BFP #2 11/6/10 - EDD 7/19/11 - Beta #1 @ 13dpo, 104 - Beta #2 @ 20dpo, 3400s
    BFP #3 4/24/13 - EDD 1/8/14 - Beta #1 @ ?, 33 - Beta #2 @ 4 days later, 260
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • For my 2 year old we've always used Huggies from Costco. If you stock up on size 0/newborn diapers. I wouldn't open all of the packages and keep the receipts. My son grew out of newborn diapers in a week after he was born. That way you can exchange them for a bigger size :)

• We use cloth, but we had some newborn sposies on hand with our son. I preferred the Huggies Pure & Natural to the Pampers swaddlers. 

If I have to use sposies now, I use 7th Generation, or Natty's.
    sam & arlo 

• We liked pampers for newborn. Hated Huggies on my son. Hated. Then we switched to luvs and occasionally target if I'm in between my amazon deliveries. I'd use honest diapers but they're soooo expensive compared to the luvs.
    Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker married 4/19/2008
  • Everyone is different,and every baby is different. I preferred pampers for my DS until 9 months. Now I love Luvs! But mostly because they are so cheap, but they seem to do at least as good a job as pampers. Now I get whatever is on sale or cheapest. I won't be so picky with my next one. Diapers are just too expensive. I just did not like Huggies snug and dry for when they are little. It seemed like a harsh diaper to me, but again I was probably just too picky! I do like Huggies snuggler though! 

A good friend of mine has always got the cheapest diapers available since her daughter was born. Target brand, Walgreens brand, Luvs, whatever was on sale! I realized these diapers did the job just as well as the expensive pampers I was using! 

So I suggest not being too picky and trying the cheaper brands. You may love them and save a ton of money! 

Also, always get diapers on sale! I haven't paid full price for diapers in 5 months! It took me a while to realize stores have regular sales, so just wait for a sale, and buy a little extra so you can hold off until the next sale!

Baby #1 DS born August 2012
    Baby #2 DD Born January 2014
    Baby #3 ?? Due June 5 2015

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"