January 2013 Moms

work or SAHM

not sure if poll's are working on here or not but i thought i'd ask...

what are you? why? and would you rather be the opposite?

i'm a SAHM 

i'm a SAHM because my husband and I want me to be. It's something I believe in and I wouldn't want to have my kids being 'raised' by someone else (total UO i know...i'm sorry if it sounds judgey just my opinion - no judgment at all to those of you who work). 

it's hard sometimes doing the day to day but i wouldn't change it for anything.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: work or SAHM

• I work because I have to so other people raise my child. Not a decision a can make, either I work or we're homeless.
  • I'm a SAHM but I do have a small online business I run. My mom was and my husband's mom was so we really wanted me to be able to stay home. Somedays I envy working moms...when the dishes are piled high and the baby is crying but I wouldn't trade it for the world. I love watching my little guy grow up.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I work because we need both incomes to keep everything going. Some days o love my job and love being out of the house and other days I despise my job for taking me away from my son.

Luckily for our family DH works three 12 hour shifts a week so is home the other four. I get two days off work, so that just leaves one day a week and my MIL covers it.:mobile smiley::
  • I've been a SAHM the past two years. Actively looking for work.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I work because I have to. I'm the sole bread winner and my family depends on me for my income and health insurance. I am totally with you about staying at home. I wish I could stay at home and raise my DD! I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of her milestones.
  • I SAH and I'm looking for a part time job. I don't want to work full time and while I could SAH if I wanted to... I don't want to. I think there are pros & cons to every life style but for me I really want to work PT. My mom worked when I was growing up and I think I learned a lot from her work ethic, she made money and helped provide for our family. 
  • I'm working 24 hrs/week right now, and I'll be picking up a bunch of shifts because my unit is short this summer. I would've loved a minimm of a year off, but I also want to be a home owner. Anyway, it's really tough to rejoin the workforce in my line of work after an extended period of absence.

We're also so lucky because my parents help with LO when I do work.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DCKateDCKate member
    I am a full time political fundraiser and work from home. We don't have the option of loving on one income. I'm lucky though, that I'm mainly home with DD. it's interesting how many replies note that your husbands wanted you to stay home. Was that a mutual decision?
    Our little Samosa arrives in January!
  • Both DH and I felt strongly about me being a SAHM. Before we were even married, we had decided we'd do what we had to in order for me to SAH. It is 10 times harder than teaching high school, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. We are lucky that DH now has a great job and we no longer have to make any great sacrifices for it to work for us.
  • image2u2wow:
    not sure if poll's are working on here or not but i thought i'd ask...what are you? why? and would you rather be the opposite?nbsp;i'm a SAHMnbsp;i'm a SAHM because my husband and I want me to be. It's something I believe in and I wouldn't want to have my kids being 'raised' by someone else total UO i know...i'm sorry if it sounds judgey just my opinion no judgment at all to those of you who work.nbsp;it's hard sometimes doing the day to day but i wouldn't change it for anything.nbsp;

I work to save for retirement, to save for college, to maintain our lifestyle and to keep our debt low. I work because I love my profession and I have a passion for the work I do.

And my husband and I raise my child, not his teachers...
    If you have to follow a statement with "sorry if this sounds judgmental" then maybe it's a statement that shouldn't be made or should be worded differently.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • ==N====N== member
    I was working full time and planned to continue but I was laid off when I was 7 months pregnant. So I SAH for 6 months and now Im back to working PT. I like working PT but we cant afford it. We also cant afford dc full time so its kind of a Catch 22.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I am a SAHM. My hubs is the bread winner in our family and with what I was making before I got pregnant my paycheck would be going to day care with very little left over. So its a struggle most months to get by, but it beats going to work just to put her in day care. I do think that I will eventually put her in a  program to get her to socialize with other kids later on down the road.

I love staying at home and watching my baby grow and do new things. But I have major respect for the working moms out there. It has got to be hard working all day and then coming home to cook, clean and spend time with baby. I know I probably couldn't do it and somewhere along the line something wouldn't get done.  

Married My Best Friend 5/21/2010
    Madison Paige arrived 1/8/2013

• I SAH/WAH, i have a small ebay business that i use to bring in additional income. We don't need it to survive, but without it our money would be strictly used for living expenses and savings, and with my husband working his a** off 24/7 and me being alone with the baby 95% of the time, we like to have fun and do family things together when we have the time. So i earn a little extra to enable us to do so. That and it allows me to put extra into our sons college fund. 

7/5/11 MC at 8 weeks. 5/17/12 BFP, twins EDD 1/20/13! 6/20/12 Baby B's heart has stopped beating. 8/31/12 Baby A is a boy! And is perfectly healthy and thriving. 1/19/2013 emergency c-section, Thoren is perfect. 3/1/2013 told i will never be able to conceive again. 12/16/13 told they were wrong! 

• I'm currently at SAHM, one because I want to be, but also because my husband and I are currently stationed in Mississippi while he is in tech school for the Air Force, and we're only here for a couple of months, we moved here when DS was 5 weeks and it just wasn't an realistic to find work for a few months, but we're moving to Illinois in September and I'll be working part time as a Paramedic while my best friend (who has a daughter two weeks older than DS) watches him if/when DH and I are both at work, but that should only be once or twice a week for a few hours. I'm dreading the day of going back to work, but I'm looking forward to the extra income so we can travel and spoil DS like we want to. lol
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'm a SAHM because I want to be and believe that it's what's best for my family at this time.  I wouldn't trade.
    imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I work, but I often wish I could stay at home.  My husband and I are teachers, so we are SUPER busy during the school year, but at least we get weekends, holiday breaks, and summers with our little guy.  So, I guess if I must work, teaching really is a good option for us.  But it's hard.  My mom was a SAHM and I loved having her around and able to go to school functions.  I hope one day I can stay at home, but I think it'd be pretty tough to raise a family on a one-teacher salary...

Psalm 139:14 -- "I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made."
  • I work full time. I wish I could work part time but for now working full time is best for my family. Before I had my daughter, I could never imagine myself choosing to stay at home. That view has completely changed and if the opportunity presented itself, I would jump at the chance to stop working and stay home with my daughter.
  • I am a working mom but would rather be a SAHM. DS was a happy suprise we conceived on our honeymoon...oops! We were not prepared though which meant I was not going to be able to stay home. My sister who is a SAHM watched him for the first 3 and half months while I went back to being a preschool teacher. Now he come with me 3 days a week where I get a decent discount and MIL watches him 2 times a week.

I think being a mom is tough but has its rewards no matter if you work or stay home. I would like to point out that working moms still have to cook and clean too though. For some reason I think some people think we don't lol.

Also I want to point out that as a teacher I am not raising someone's children. They actually have more interaction with their friends than me lol! Props to all moms out there staying home or working our kids totally make life worth living!!
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm a SAHM bc we decided that's what was best for our family right now and with the prices of daycare, it doesn't make sense for me to work. All of our family lives out of state, so free childcare isn't an option.

I may look into PT work in the near future...if the pay is worth putting my kid in daycare a ffew days a week.
  • image2u2wow:
    not sure if poll's are working on here or not but i thought i'd ask...what are you? why? and would you rather be the opposite?nbsp;i'm a SAHMnbsp;i'm a SAHM because my husband and I want me to be. It's something I believe in and I wouldn't want to have my kids being 'raised' by someone else total UO i know...i'm sorry if it sounds judgey just my opinion no judgment at all to those of you who work.nbsp;it's hard sometimes doing the day to day but i wouldn't change it for anything.nbsp;

I'm a working mom who leaves her child to be raised by someone else. Oh wait, no I don't. I work so that we have can pay our mortgage, save for retirement, have disposable income and so that I don't place the entire burden of our livelihood on my husband.

That's not your unpopular opinion, that's you sounding like a total working mom hater and frankly, like a jerk.

When your kids go to school, then what? Are their teachers raising them? No. It's still you. No one else is raising my baby. My husband and I are.

And no, I don't HAVE to work. I chose to.

• I'm a SAHM. I'm tired. If I was working I'd be tired. I stay at home because it's what's best for our family.

I have respect for all moms working or SAH, it's a lot of work either way.
  • ta78ta78 member

I don't know why you would even say that a working mom has someone else raise their kids. That is insulting and nowhere near true. A daycare watches kids, when your kids start school, a teacher will watch and educate. A parent still raises a child working or SAH. Are you the only one in your house that raises your baby? What about your H?

And for what it's worth.. I'm  a SAHM. I love being home with my children and am thankful we are in a position that I can.

Someone also asked about Hs being on board and I don't think anyone should ever stay home unless its agreed 100% by both of you. That is when problems arise when your H never wanted them to in the first place. 

Q :  06.25.10
    W : 01.11.13

#3 : due 11.02.15

• image82Sonia:
    image2u2wow:
    I'm a working mom who leaves her child to be raised by someone else. Oh wait, no I don't. I work so that we have can pay our mortgage, save for retirement, have disposable income and so that I don't place the entire burden of our livelihood on my husband. That's not your unpopular opinion, that's you sounding like a total working mom hater and frankly, like a jerk. When your kids go to school, then what? Are their teachers raising them? No. It's still you. No one else is raising my baby. My husband and I are. And no, I don't HAVE to work. I chose to.

I'm a SAHM who "places the entire burden of our livelihood on my husband." I love staying at home and so does my husband, he is fine working while I take care of our daughter. I think whatever needs to be done to make sure your child is taken care of is what matters. So you both need to stop being judgmental. We're all mothers trying hard to do what's best for our families.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm not being judgmental. If I wasn't working, his livelihood would be our only livelihood. I want to contribute financially as well. That is not the same as telling me that I'm leaving my kid to be raised by someone else. I hope she just chose her words poorly and didn't mean that.

• image82Sonia:
    image2u2wow:
    I'm a working mom who leaves her child to be raised by someone else. Oh wait, no I don't. I work so that we have can pay our mortgage, save for retirement, have disposable income and so that I don't place the entire burden of our livelihood on my husband. That's not your unpopular opinion, that's you sounding like a total working mom hater and frankly, like a jerk. When your kids go to school, then what? Are their teachers raising them? No. It's still you. No one else is raising my baby. My husband and I are. And no, I don't HAVE to work. I chose to.

Well said ;-)

• I work FT and actually still raise my kids...

Anyhow, I have a PhD in my field and have an amazing job that I worked hard for. I have flexible hours, excellent pay and benefits, and a family-friendly boss. Dh has the same. Between us both, we work from home 4 days per week and trade off drop-offs/pick-ups for the kiddos at daycare, so they are not there that long. By me working, dh can have a more family friendly job with more time at home. If he were the only earner, he'd need to make more which he easily could, but we'd never see him. That's unfair to him in my opinion. Sure, I'd be home all day with the kids, but when would he see them? As it is now, it's much more 50/50 in our house. Plus, if anything did happen to one of our jobs, I like knowing we'd be ok.

It was very hard leaving them at first to go back to work (and I had 5.5 months home with each), but in a few years they'd both be in school anyway and then what? By working, they will both not have to worry about financial stress, which is very hard on a family. 

imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imagesarahrossoshea:

image82Sonia:
    image2u2wow:

I'm a working mom who leaves her child to be raised by someone else. Oh wait, no I don't. I work so that we have can pay our mortgage, save for retirement, have disposable income and so that I don't place the entire burden of our livelihood on my husband.

That's not your unpopular opinion, that's you sounding like a total working mom hater and frankly, like a jerk.

When your kids go to school, then what? Are their teachers raising them? No. It's still you. No one else is raising my baby. My husband and I are.

Agreed! 

Yep!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • image82Sonia:
    I'm not being judgmental. If I wasn't working, his livelihood would be our only livelihood. I want to contribute financially as well. That is not the same as telling me that I'm leaving my kid to be raised by someone else. I hope she just chose her words poorly and didn't mean that.

I just feel the need to chime in and point out that being a SAHM, I save us lots of money, which I feel like is "contributing", just in a different way. 

I am convinced that coffee is God's gift to mothers.

BabyFruit Ticker       
    **  DD-5.30.11 ** DS-1.15.13 ** #3 EDD - 9.4.14 ** 

• The whole op was pretty obnoxious and judgemental.

We are also in a situation where because I work we get more equal time with our daughter. Also my mil gets to watch her once a week which she loves. My dad worked insane hours so my mom could sah and I think he somewhat regrets that. Also am in a field where it would be difficult to leave and come back.
  • I work. I'm a single mom. If I don't work we wouldn't have the home and car and food and everything else needed for ME to raise MY baby. In a different situation I think SAH would be great, but not an option now.
  • image2u2wow:

not sure if poll's are working on here or not but i thought i'd ask...

what are you? why? and would you rather be the opposite?

i'm a SAHM 

i'm a SAHM because my husband and I want me to be. It's something I believe in and I wouldn't want to have my kids being 'raised' by someone else (total UO i know...i'm sorry if it sounds judgey just my opinion - no judgment at all to those of you who work). 

it's hard sometimes doing the day to day but i wouldn't change it for anything.

occasionally I wish I were a SAHM but I'm pretty high energy and DH thinks I would get bored lol. BUT, I do think I would put my energy into being an awesome home room mom, PTO, whatever all that stuff entails. And being SAHM is a TON of work. On my days off I feel like I'm running a leaf blower in a tornado trying to pick everything up while the kids are home. So more power to ya. I'll keep the cleaning lady haha!

Oh, and I make six figures, and we take a bunch of vacations, max out our 401ks, refi'd our mortgage to 15 years....all that grown up responsible stuff. And my kids aren't raised by daycare. I think of it as school from the beginning. We have a daycare at work that rocks and they really are the best of the best. So I have no guilt in having them there. Heck, when I was on maternity leave I still sent DS because he WANTED to go, and it was nice that he could keep his routine and I could chill with DD. And I (gasp!) occasionally still take them on my weekdays off and run errands, catch up on things....maybe even shop or go to the spa.......

And yes, you sound judgey. But I forgive you. I would stay home if I didn't make enough to justify the cost of two daycare tuitions. 

• I work full time also...I am a teacher so have the summers off with my DD. my hubby works from home, and watches DD 2 x a week while i am at work. The other 3 she is in daycare. I really enjoy my job and like working.  We also could not afford to live the life we want without 2 incomes. And we certainly don't feel that daycare is raising our child.  WE are.  
  • Oh, and it's not so much an unpopular opinion - the whole other people raising your kids thing. It's a stupid one. I hear it mostly from moms who seem insecure about their decision or are secretly envious of working moms who have nicer things, or a better social life, etc. Those who are truly happy being SAH aren't so quick to throw out the ol' other people raising my kids insult. 
  • Jen748Jen748 member
    imagesarahrossoshea:

image82Sonia:
    image2u2wow:

Agreed! 

I've been both. I worked when my daughter was born and guess what, we still raised her! After my son was born when DD was almost 4 I became a SAHM. The cost of daycare, plus some major changes at my work, and a whole bunch of things factored into the decision. I'm happy at home.

But, since I've done both I feel like I can say...both are hard, both are great, and in both YOU RAISE YOUR OWN CHILDREN. Insinuating that working mom's don't raise their kids is insulting. Not to mention, if the Dad is working...does he not raise the child with the SAHM?
  • I worked until DD1 was 18 months and now I SAHM because it makes sense logistically for our family. DH works over an hour away and my job was not flexible so I was left doing drop offs, pick ups, and when we had a sick kid it totally threw everything off. We also had little quality time left over and i was a stress bucket. So, we decided I would SAH. It is working great for us. Also, my income was less than 1/3 of DHs so it was a pretty good trade off. A little less money, but now we have more home cooked healthy meals and less stress overall.

FWIW, though, I think DD did just as well, if not better, with our awesome babysitter, and I don't see me SAH as such a great gift to my kids, since a toddler and baby have a way of making me feel like the world's crappiest mom many days, but like I said, it works best for us, and I'm enjoying it most (some?) of the time. 

• I'm wondering if it was just a bad choice of words? I'm a SAHM, my husband has a great job and wanted me to stay home with DD till she starts school..I wanted to be a SAHM as well. I don't have a degree, if I did I'm sure I'd feel differently and want to work. But I do love being home with DD
  • I work because I have to, and probably would even if I didn't have to. But I am fine with other people helping me raise my kids, it takes a village to raise a child and I think it makes them more well-rounded overall.

William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I work, and when someone else equates a working mom to not "raising her child" it makes my blood boil.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageWild_flower25:

I work because I have to, and probably would even if I didn't have to. But I am fine with other people helping me raise my kids, it takes a village to raise a child and I think it makes them more well-rounded overall.

I'm glad you pointed out the "it takes a village" idea.  It's hard for me to comment on this as a SAHM because I don't want to offend anyone, but IMO when your LO(s) are regularly in the care of someone else they are helping to raise that child.  You're still the parent and that will be more than clear to your LO, you choose the caregiver and you make the major decisions so you're still the one raising them and driving the whole thing, for sure, but that caregiver is also helping to raise them.  But there's nothing wrong with that and having a number of people who care about your child and help to guide them into the person they will become is a good thing.  It's nothing to feel badly about!  It takes a village :)   

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"