June 2013 Moms

Who's back to running?

I just got cleared by my OB so I'm starting on Monday. My plan is to run at lunch at work since we have a track and I can't run with LO yet. I'm scared since before getting pregnant I had broken my foot. It's been almost a year since I've ran.

Those of you who've started again; how was it? Are you using a program or just winging it? Any races or goals coming up?

CJ 05/29/2013

Re: Who's back to running?

• I joined a new gym!  But I only did like 4 mph on the treadmill and then some weight machines because I'm a fatass.
  • imagenotquiteblushing:
    I joined a new gym!nbsp; But I only did like 4 mph on the treadmill and then some weight machines because I'm a fatass.

Better than nothing yo! DH and I might try crossfit.

CJ 05/29/2013

• Loading the player...
  • I'm so paranoid I'm going to be one of those who has their supply drop with exercise, so I've been using that as my excuse to not workout yet...
  • I'm so looking forward to getting cleared for running!

Assuming everything goes well with my 6wk pp appointment on Tuesday, I'm restarting the couch-2-5k program - it was great when I started running years ago, so hopefully it'll ease me back into things!

BabyFetus Ticker
    DS born 6/2013
  • imagesmpeachey:
    imagemusicalsilver:
    I'm so looking forward to getting cleared for running!Assuming everything goes well with my 6wk pp appointment on Tuesday, I'm restarting the couch25k program it was great when I started running years ago, so hopefully it'll ease me back into things!
    I want to get back into it and I have heard the couch to 5k thing mentioned a lot. But I know nothing about it, is it a website or book? Or is it so something you do with a gym?

It's an app you can download to your phone. It alternates between walking and running. You do it 3 times a week for 9 weeks. It'll eventually work up to you running 30min consecutively a session. It's awesome. When you play it on your phone, it'll beep when it's time to start running or walking. 

BFP#1 6/4/12 EDD 2/10/13 M/C 6/12/12
    BFP#2 9/28/12 EDD 6/5/13 J.B. born 6/6/13

Anniversary

• imageBacon+lettuce+tomato:
    imagenotquiteblushing:
    I joined a new gym!nbsp; But I only did like 4 mph on the treadmill and then some weight machines because I'm a fatass.
    Better than nothing yo! DH and I might try crossfit.

I went to Crossfit once.  It was awesome.  And then I couldn't walk for two days.  Wilted Flower

• Lo is 18 days old so I'm waiting still. I'm gonna wing it . Maybe ill try the couch to 5k. With dd I was out at 3weeks, but had a hard time cause my mind thought I could do more than my body did and I pushed to fast to hard and became discouraged.

LOUD NOISES!

K- born 7/5/2011

G- born 6/24/2013

• I got on the treadmill one day last week. I did one mile but alternated jogging to walking. It was tough. I did not run during pregnancy since my first was a preemie and I took extra precautions this time around. 

I have a half marathon in november that I am training for. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • :::lurker:::

I just started back and it was better than a I thought it would be.  My boobs hurt more than my lungs or legs! Does anyone have any tips for sports bras for nursing moms?

I have my first 5k in August and signed up for the Tinkerbell half marathon in January at Disneyland.  It will be my first half and I'm nervous and excited at the same time!!

TIA for any bra tips!

JM 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

IF History in my Bio!

• skioskio member
    I'm at least three weeks away from being cleared but itching to get out. I'm going to start walking with the double stroller at 4w and hopefully can start running at 6w [sans stroller; or perhaps with DD1, but DD2 won't be ready for the jogger for a long time].

I'm signed up for a 5k in early October.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Arlo is only a week old right now but I plan on starting as soon as I feel better down there. I had a section with G and ran at 6 weeks after my checkup but my boobs were the biggest factor then and I expect that to be the case again. I can't wait! On a different runners' note, did anyone else tear really badly because they were a runner? I had 3 different people look at my vagina while I was pushing or right after delivery and say, "oh you must be a runner." Supposedly we have perineums of steel and can only rip up, which I did. No one mentioned this to me before I delivered!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am so anxious to get back! I am 5.5 weeks pp and haven't had my 6 week appt yet and DH is making me wait it out. He knows I would be stupid and keep running even if something didn't feel right which would probably set me back further. I ran through to 6 months so fingers crossed I won't die my first day out.
    image image
    Bennett Andrew- 6/4/13      Nora Elizabeth - 10/3/14
  • imagenykkolhooks:
    I started on Wednesday. Ran two miles, with the jogging stroller, it was tough. Felt the burn for sure, but everything vaginally felt great, it was my boobs that I thought were going to rocket off my chest! Definitely wear two sports bras, and maybe some duct tape!

I know this will be my problem. I haven't started running yet. I'm not quite 5 weeks out yet. But, I have started working out at home just to get myself used to some light cardio. Vaginally, everything is fine. Boob-wise... so not even close to ok. I dread running with these things.

• ejmo68ejmo68 member
    It was amazing!!! Of course I started out way slow and I am still building back up to where I was. I am not really using a program but I am doing at least 30 mins of cardio and 30 mins of weights. I would like to get back up to races but I know I am not there yet. I'll probably shoot for fall races. 

Me: 33 DH: 39
    DD 1: 5-24-13
    TTC#2: BFP: 8-23-15 MMC: 10-29-15
    DD 2: 9-15-16
    DD 3: 9-16-17

• ejmo68ejmo68 member

imagenykkolhooks:
    I started on Wednesday. Ran two miles, with the jogging stroller, it was tough. Felt the burn for sure, but everything vaginally felt great, it was my boobs that I thought were going to rocket off my chest! Definitely wear two sports bras, and maybe some duct tape!

Yes I second this...my lord I was like this is embarrassing.

Me: 33 DH: 39
    DD 1: 5-24-13
    TTC#2: BFP: 8-23-15 MMC: 10-29-15
    DD 2: 9-15-16
    DD 3: 9-16-17

• imageJilliansMoma:

:::lurker:::

I just started back and it was better than a I thought it would be.  My boobs hurt more than my lungs or legs! Does anyone have any tips for sports bras for nursing moms?

I have my first 5k in August and signed up for the Tinkerbell half marathon in January at Disneyland.  It will be my first half and I'm nervous and excited at the same time!!

TIA for any bra tips!

JM 

I'm super jealous of you for the Tinkerbell half!! There's a Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon that I'd LOVE to do. It's at Disneyworld. It's a night time run, and then an after party at the international food and wine festival. However, I live in Michigan and the run is in November. So, that would be an expensive trip right before Christmas.... when I have 3 kids now. Lol. Maybe someday!!!

• imagenykkolhooks:

did you get extra head support for the car seat in the jogging stroller?  I'm considering starting to take mine out with LO and she has great head control but still nervous that she's still too young?!  The Bob manual says 8 months, which seems overly cautious.. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageKHadden26:

imagenykkolhooks:

did you get extra head support for the car seat in the jogging stroller?  I'm considering starting to take mine out with LO and she has great head control but still nervous that she's still too young?!  The Bob manual says 8 months, which seems overly cautious.. 

My pedi said no running with LO until around 6 months. She said he needs good head control and really recommends not running until we don't need the infant insert anymore. That's mainly why I will run at work because LO will be at daycare.

CJ 05/29/2013

• imagesmpeachey:
    imagemusicalsilver:
    I'm so looking forward to getting cleared for running!Assuming everything goes well with my 6wk pp appointment on Tuesday, I'm restarting the couch25k program it was great when I started running years ago, so hopefully it'll ease me back into things!

I want to get back into it and I have heard the couch to 5k thing mentioned a lot. But I know nothing about it, is it a website or book? Or is it so something you do with a gym?

I love couch to 5 k and highly recommend it. I used it after my knee surgery and plan to again. I've got the army 10 miler on October. Considering the Pittsburgh half in may

CJ 05/29/2013

• skioskio member
    imageBacon+lettuce+tomato:
    imageKHadden26:

imagenykkolhooks:

did you get extra head support for the car seat in the jogging stroller? I'm considering starting to take mine out with LO and she has great head control but still nervous that she's still too young?! The Bob manual says 8 months, which seems overly cautious...

My pedi said no running with LO until around 6 months. She said he needs good head control and really recommends not running until we don't need the infant insert anymore. That's mainly why I will run at work because LO will be at daycare.

Yeah, ditto. Didn't run with DD1 until 6m or so and will wait as long this time. Do some jogger a have carseat adapters? I've never seen a jogger with an adapter, so I'm curious, too.

My pedi said head control was required, but baby should actually be able to sit independently before going in a jogger; meaning the actual seat part. They won't fit properly in the harness before at least then, either.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • skioskio member
    imageskio:
    imageKHadden26:

imagenykkolhooks:

did you get extra head support for the car seat in the jogging stroller? I'm considering starting to take mine out with LO and she has great head control but still nervous that she's still too young?! The Bob manual says 8 months, which seems overly cautious...

Yeah, ditto. Didn't run with DD1 until 6m or so and will wait as long this time. Do some jogger a have carseat adapters? I've never seen a jogger with an adapter, so I'm curious, too.

My pedi said head control was required, but baby should actually be able to sit independently before going in a jogger; meaning the actual seat part. They won't fit properly in the harness before at least then, either.

I just found an adapter for the BOB Rev! But it says it's only for walking.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • imageskio:
    imageKHadden26:

imagenykkolhooks:

My jogger allows the car seat to be snapped in. I have the baby trend expedition. She said he needs to be able to sit in the actual stroller, not the car seat. That's what I meant by the insert. Lol.

CJ 05/29/2013

• imagenykkolhooks:
    imageskio:
    imageKHadden26:

imagenykkolhooks:

You can take an infant with many precautions! I bought additional neck support for the carseat, and our carseat attaches to the stroller. Also, LO is very strong and can actually hold her head up on her own. I walk the stroller down the less smooth street and then jogged with her on the smooth sidewalk. Front wheel must also be locked in place for jogging stability!

Eh, Colton holds his head too but it's not worth the risk to me. I will just run when I don't have LO.

CJ 05/29/2013

imagenykkolhooks:
    imageskio:
    imageKHadden26:

imagenykkolhooks:

You can take an infant with many precautions! I bought additional neck support for the carseat, and our carseat attaches to the stroller. Also, LO is very strong and can actually hold her head up on her own. I walk the stroller down the less smooth street and then jogged with her on the smooth sidewalk. Front wheel must also be locked in place for jogging stability!

Eh, Colton holds his head too but it's not worth the risk to me. I will just run when I don't have LO.

100 agree with this. My LO is already 2.5 months with excellent head control but the risk isn't worth it to me at all even with extra precautions. My pedi said not until 6 months so I'm heeding that advice. We have a treadmill and I run on it when LO is napping.
    Mama to Sophie Virginia
    born 5/4/13 at 35 weeks 4 days

imagenykkolhooks:
    imageskio:
    imageKHadden26:

imagenykkolhooks:

Yea that's what I was thinking....I'm cool w walking w her for now!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Yeah no running with baby please and I hope you remove any after market head support from your car seat before putting it back in the car.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"