January 2013 Moms

Insomnia/PP Anxiety?

OK this is kind of hard to admit but I think I might have postpartum anxiety. 

I have been freaking out about my DD waking up early this week because I am so tired all of the time and it is making me emotional and crazy.  But I have always had sleeping issues and when I think about it, my DD sleeps really well for a baby.  I read other posts about babies waking up every hour and mine wakes once, max 3x a night but just does it towards morning and gets up really early.  I just have a hard time falling asleep at night and the anxiety of constantly waiting for her to wake up makes it even worse. 

I also get an anxious feeling every time we are out of our element, like when we have to go somewhere with her or I have to drop her off with anyone else.  I worry about her eating, sleeping, being happy.  I read posts about people taking their babies on trips or to concerts and I cannot even fathom doing it because i would be miserable worrying the whole time.  The posts about wanting another baby makes me think people are insane.  I know we had a rough start with the reflux and MSPI (and my own c-section and surgical IUD removal) and DD is just high needs in general but I just feel like a shell of my former self, like I am waiting to feel back to normal.  Does anyone have any experience with this or know anyone who has?  Am I just a new first time mom or does this sound like something people gets meds for?  I am thinking of making an appointment with my OB but I feel kind of dumb especially since she is nearly six months old...

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Insomnia/PP Anxiety?

• I was prescribed Zoloft for PP depression at 5 months. I've always had anxiety. It's supposed to help with both. I get upset by the smallest things. FFFC I haven't started taking it yet. The ridiculous thing is that I feel a little better just knowing I have it in the house in case I decide to start taking it.

I wouldn't bother going to the OB. Mine basically said "see you when you need a pap, go to your regular doctor."

• I have always had anxiety so I can sympathize with all you just said!! On the being diagnosed later my sister in law wasn't diagnosed with PP until her son was nearly 1 year old. We all handle these things differently. Talking about it and being contentious of it is a great start! Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have been having the same issues! My doc said it can happen later too. She prescribed me Welbutrin but I haven't gotten it yet. I am going to try some non med remedies first...excercise, journaling, meditation and some other self care strategies. It's so hard with the sleep deprivation though! I feel so crazy sometimes and out of control. I hate it. So yea, I can relate. Hang in there. Having a baby is a major life change. That on top of the hormones and lack of sleep can do a number on your brain.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagespainy17:

OK this is kind of hard to admit but I think I might have postpartum anxiety. 

I have been freaking out about my DD waking up early this week because I am so tired all of the time and it is making me emotional and crazy.  But I have always had sleeping issues and when I think about it, my DD sleeps really well for a baby.  I read other posts about babies waking up every hour and mine wakes once, max 3x a night but just does it towards morning and gets up really early.  I just have a hard time falling asleep at night and the anxiety of constantly waiting for her to wake up makes it even worse. 

I also get an anxious feeling every time we are out of our element, like when we have to go somewhere with her or I have to drop her off with anyone else.  I worry about her eating, sleeping, being happy.  I read posts about people taking their babies on trips or to concerts and I cannot even fathom doing it because i would be miserable worrying the whole time.  The posts about wanting another baby makes me think people are insane.  I know we had a rough start with the reflux and MSPI (and my own c-section and surgical IUD removal) and DD is just high needs in general but I just feel like a shell of my former self, like I am waiting to feel back to normal.  Does anyone have any experience with this or know anyone who has?  Am I just a new first time mom or does this sound like something people gets meds for?  I am thinking of making an appointment with my OB but I feel kind of dumb especially

since she is nearly six months old...

I think I coud've written this myself. However, I have just had an extremely short fuse with everyone. I really think it's sleep. I could sleep for days right now. But between working long shifts twice a week, I never catch up on my sleep. DS wakes up 2-3 sometimes 4 times/night. I have read some sleep training books. I probably need to start using some other strategies. DH wants me to talk to the doc about it. I just want to get some sleep and exercise! I know that would cure me, but it's impossible right now. Ugh... I feel your pain.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You are not alone! I share so many of your feelings and I think for me it has a lot to do with having an extremely difficult newborn. We had colic and reflux issues that left us with a baby that literally cried whenever he was awake for 3 to 4 months. I am convinced that this takes its toll on parents physically and emotionally. I felt robbed of the happy experience of having a sleepy newborn that we could take out and about. I could not understand why people would have kids if this was what it was like.

Even though the crying has stopped, my son is still high maintenance and generally gets fussy easily. I tend to avoid social settings other than daycare and the grocery store due to anxiety left over from the past. I explained it to my husband as almost what I would imagine PTSD to be like. Lately I have been forcing myself to load him in the stroller and walk through the mall or the park.

As far as the night time anxiety and insomnia, I feel you there too. In the last few weeks, I have discovered that for me, if I read a book on my kindle for even 10 minutes in bed it helps me get sleepy and distracts my mind. It also gives me the feeling of doing something for myself.

It never hurts to talk to a doctor if that is what you want to do because they can help sort out the difference between normal frustrations and anxiety and a more severe issue.
  • Thanks guys, it does feel really good to know I am not alone, and to the pp it really does feel like a PTSD left over from a high needs baby because I feel like I am constantly on edge to keep her happy and feeling comforted.  I might talk to the doctor and I just hope that it gets better with time too. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • After about a month after I went back to work around 4 months postpartum I had anxiety through the roof and my OB was very very understanding. I'm on Zoloft and seeing a counselor and it's really helping a lot. Don't feel like you can't or shouldn't reach out for help if you need it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"