C-sections

When were you out and about again? Update: Added a question

The idea of a c-section is very new to me, didn't have one with DS1 and really wasn't expecting to this time but DS2 is transverse so a c section is a possiblility for me.  I'm still trying to get used to the idea.

We have a close family friend that is getting married around my due date, and I'm wondering how long after a c-section would I feel up for going (I am comfortable leaving the baby because he will be at our house with my mom and we would only be gone a couple hours).   

I know everyone's different, but how long after your (uncomplicated) c-section did you feel up for going out of the house?  I would literally just be sitting and taking it easy, no drinking or dancing obviously.  If you can't tell I really want to go to this wedding.  :) 

Edit:  Thanks everyone who responded... it definitely sounds like there is a range of when people start to feel like themselves again.  I was wondering.... for those who had a quicker recovery, were your c-sections scheduled?  I have been told that scheduled c sections often have a faster recovery and less complications.  Thanks! 

Re: When were you out and about again? Update: Added a question

• The answer is going to vary. But tomorrow makes two weeks for me and I think I could handle what you described. 

baby #1 boy 11.1.02 baby #2 boy 2.25.04 baby #3 girl 6.28.13 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker my blog
  • Jing22Jing22 member
    4-5 weeks was the soonest I wanted to leave the house after my c-section.  That was because it was Christmas and it was really hard.  I cried from pain...sitting up for that long for a car ride etc. was painful.  My labor prior to the c section was pretty rough though.  There are no guarantees.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I went to a couple of doctor's appts. and ran a couple of quick errands with DH within the first 2 weeks but that was it.  The first time I really went out and did anything was when my BFF visited at 4 wks pp.  I was exhausted when we got back to the house and had to take pain medication.  And I had to wear maternity pants.  I had amazing weight loss after giving birth but at that point it was still either yoga pants or maternity pants.  Regular jeans or slacks were not a option.  I didn't own anything that would have worked for a wedding at that point.  My one maternity dress would not have fit and neither would any of my dressy prepregnancy clothes.   

ETA:  "Just Sitting" wasn't all that easy for me after surgery.  There were very few chairs I could sit in comfortably.   

• So we went out for dinner the night that I got out of the hospital. Needed to eat and momma didn't want fast food. I was completely comfortable and didn't have any issues just sitting and enjoying a meal. I think it all depends on how you are feeling. This is definitely a time you need to be thinking about your health and listening to what your body needs. 

The one thing I will say is that if you decide to go you need to make sure you have super comfy clothes. They will give you a gurtle(sp) to wear that is not super cumbersome but def will be seen through a tight dress. 

• imagemobraniff:

They will give you a gurtle(sp) to wear that is not super cumbersome but def will be seen through a tight dress. 

I was not given one.  Nor was it suggested I should wear anything like that.  

• Everyone is going to be different.  I had a very tough time of it immediately after surgery (didn't get up and out of bed for two days, until a nurse literally forced me). Surprisingly, I had a pretty quick recovery.  I felt much better at two weeks, and was completely back to normal at 4 weeks.  I was driving at two and a half weeks and would have been totally fine with attending a wedding, but probably would have gone out and bought a new dress for it.

DOR and AMA
    2/12-5/12: 4 IUI cycles = all BFN;
    7/12: DE IVF # 1 (with ICSI)- 20R, 16M, 14F, 5DT of 2 blasts; 6 frosties = BFN;
    Lupus anticoagulant initially high, then found to be normal on hematology consult;
    Follow up testing in September all clear;
    Started synthroid for "high normal" TSH;
    FET # 1- late October 2012- BFP on FRER; beta # 1- 21(low), beta # 2- 48 (still low), beta # 3- 132, beta # 4- 1,293; beta # 5- 5,606; last beta- over 100,000. First u/s 11/21- heard heartbeat
    12/12- Officially an OB patient!
    Level 2 ultrasound at 20 weeks shows vasa previa and VCI
    Referral to MFM and mandatory c section for delivery
    Beautiful baby girl born at 34 weeks
    Finally home after 15 day NICU stay!
    Trying for sibling: FET # 2- May 2014; beta 5/31, BFN
    FET #3, early July 2014; beta 7/14, BFN
    DE IVF # 2- August 2014; 14R, 13M, 11F, 5dt of 2 blasts (3 AA), 5 frosties = BFN
    FET #4- December 2014, yet another BFN

Dr. KK work up shows borderline uterine blood flow, elevated NK cells, and MTHFR mutation (homozygous for c677t)

Added baby aspirin, prednisone, supplements, Metanx, and intralipids

Switched to large clinic for final attempt; had endometrial receptivity testing in January; FET March 2015 = yet another BFN

Likely OAD- NBC

• 6 to 8 weeks for me, I was a hot mess. In pain and bleeding, sry tmi. No way was able to dress up well enough and present myself in public!
  • I had one internal stitch that burned for about two weeks.  Other than that, I felt fine.  I still went for walks and ran errands during that time.  I just made sure that I kept up on the pain meds.  We had DS's baptism and party at 1w6d, and I didn't have any problem with socializing.  My mom helped out a lot with the set up and clean up.  By 3 weeks PP, I helped move all of the furniture on our 1st floor to the garage because we were getting new flooring installed. 

• My dd was in the nicu so as soon as I was released from the hospital I was going back and forth to the nicu and out to dinner. I was uncomfortable but I would have gone to a wedding of a very close friend/family member 2 weeks after delivering.
  • Thanks ladies... Looks like I'll definitely have to play it by ear.  I work as a private contractor and was hoping to see clients here and there during my maternity leave to make some money, but it's looking like that might not be possible for a good 4-6 weeks... bummer.  
  • I went to the grocery store at about 1.5 wk pp and that was exhausting. I wouldn't have wanted to go to a wedding then. I went out for lunch with friends by myself with DD at about 3.5 weeks pp and that was fine.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• I had an easy recovery and I think I would've been okay to attend pretty much upon release from the hospital.
    I certainly wouldn't have felt up to dancing though.
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
    O14 January Signature Challenge: Snow Fails
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I know I'll get some dirty looks for this, but I rode to Texas from Florida 5 days PP to see my husband graduate from BMT for the Air Force, and I felt fine, it was a weekend long event, a lot of walking, and honestly the more you move, the quicker you'll heal. Nothing strenuous, no heavy lifting, but just getting up and walking around is going to help so much, if you stay on the couch, or do more than you're supposed to then it'll slow your recovery, but do what works for you. Just see how you feel the day of the wedding. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • aandgaandg member
    My daughter was born on a Sunday and we did a quick trip to Target the following weekend. I was really sore but it was do able. 
    BFP #1 6/21/08 natural m/c 7/4/08 BFP #2 10/3/08 blighted ovum discovered 11/5/08 D&C 11/13/08 dx with hetero MTHFR 1/7/09 BFP #3 7/1/09 DS born 3/7/10 BFP #4 1/27/10 DD born 9/4/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's all going to depend on how you're feeling at the time of your C-section. They say that if it's planned, then you're much better off. If you go into labor and then have a C-section, the recovery is much worse.

I had sever pre-e and then an emergency C-section. I was down for the count for almost 8 weeks. I also did not take anything stronger than ibuprofen, since the heavier pain pills make me sick. I didn't want to vomit after a C-section for sure.

I would say you're going to have to play it by ear. I do also agree with pp that said to stay moving. The more you keep moving, the better you'll heal. However, you'll feel great one day and wake up regretting all the movement you did, kind of like a day at the gym.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I was back at work 3 weeks after DS was born via c-section.  It was no big deal for me.  I do have a desk job but still was feeling perfectly fine to go to work. 

• imageheatherbee710:

Honestly, I probably wouldn't have been up for dressing up and going out until close to 6 weeks but may have tried for someone I was really close to. Between nursing, having a lot of PP bleeding (bled through pads often which was super embarrassing), and some complications I had that made my incision very painful and slow to heal, I would have been very uncomfortable even sitting at a wedding for a long period of time.

Everyone is different though - I know a lot of people who felt great pretty soon after and hopefully that will be your experience :) I'm sure your friend would understand if you had to give a tentative answer! 

This for me too. I really didn't feel like dressing up and my "leftover" skin just hung over my incision which didn't feel too good. I would run out here and there for short periods of time, but no long outings until around 4-5 weeks.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFetus Ticker
  • jb2rnjb2rn member
    At one week I took my son in the Moby wrap to a local Christmas festival. Looking back, walking with him was a bit much, but it was so nice to get out. I also had my baby in cold, grey late November, so I NEEDED to get out for my mental health. Sitting at a wedding would be no big deal! I would totally go if it was local at one week pp
    b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• SwetaVSwetaV member
    Like PP say, everyone is different. In my experience I was able to go out for dinner with my husband less than a week after my csection. It would all just depend on how your recovery was going. Good luck!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I had a really easy recovery and I was out and about 5-6 days later. 
  • kellmokellmo member
    imageSJacques7:
    Really depends on the person but I was ready to go after 3 days. Personally a cessation was a pcs of cake.

This!!!
  • I would have been fine to go out by a week after my c/s, and I did (not to weddings, but shopping with others driving, etc.).  Nine days after I had DD, we did a three-hour road trip, which I wouldn't necessarily recommend, but it was something I really wanted to do and I was fine.  Also, while I was still in the process of shedding water weight at that point, I would have been able to wear an empire waist dress or something loose but dressy.  I know some people take weeks to feel like themselves, but it only took me a week to want to get the heck out of the house and be normal again.

FWIW, DD was an emergency c/s, DS was planned (I went into labor early but it wasn't as bad as DD), and both recoveries were pretty easy.  I was feeling mostly fine after a week.  I don't think DS was any easier, but my hospital stay was much shorter and I probably pushed myself too hard the first day or two at home.

DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • imageDaisyBlinks:
    I had an easy recovery, I would have been fine after four or five days. I'd wear a maternity dress with a high waistlineI wore those a lot after my csection and I think it would look nice enough.nbsp;

I agree with the clothes. It's a little over 3 weeks since my csection. I don't like any clothes rubbing my incision. I went to a bday party 2 weeks after the csection and felt fine. I would not have danced as others mentioned. Good luck!
  • I had a RCS the second time around. I was out and about by the end of the first week with my mom. I would tire easily, and it was occasionally painful. But by two weeks I was driving again and picking up my 3 year old from preschool. I'd say by four weeks I wa feeling 90 percent at least. The first time around was a bit different. I didn't have a three year old to keep up with, or as much laundry or housekeeping, but the hormones hit me hard. I didn't get any baby blues with the second, and I felt much more "capable." Not sure f it helped that csec it was planned the second time or just a STM confidence thing.

As for a wedding, the hardest thing might be feeling good in an outfit lol. I wouldn't hesitate to go. Just don't get behind on pain meds and take it super easy. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a RCS the second time around. I was out and about by the end of the first week with my mom. I would tire easily, and it was occasionally painful. But by two weeks I was driving again and picking up my 3 year old from preschool. I'd say by four weeks I wa feeling 90 percent at least. The first time around was a bit different. I didn't have a three year old to keep up with, or as much Landry or housekeeping, but the hormones hit me hard. I didn't get any baby blues with the second, and I felt much more "capable." Not sure f it helped that csec it was planned the second time or just a STM confidence thing.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was able to walk, in pain a bit, about 5 or 6 hours after the c section! It's been a week now and I'm fully functioning. After about 2 days in the hospital I was ready to leave!
  • It has taken me 6 weeks to feeling doing pretty much anything, and I'm still not completely well. Complications with bleeding and incision for me though,
  • With my first (emergency) c/s, I stayed in the hospital 5 days and it took me about 2 weeks to start going out again.  With my twins' c-section (failed induction, 30+ hours of unmedicated labor and 2 hours of pushing beforehand), I was out of the hospital in 2 days and running errands the next day. 

Every c/s is different, just like every pregnancy is different.  You could feel fine right after or not want to move more than absolutely necessary for weeks. If I was in your position, I would explain to the couple that you would like to go to the wedding and will try your best to be there, but that it will depend on your recovery.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• I recovered better from my scheduled C-sections better than my initial c/s after labor.

#1- took a good 3 weeks to feel back to normal. I stopped taking all medicine at about 2.5 weeks pp and was going out by 3 weeks.

#2- I was feeling good by 1.5 weeks but I didn't drive for another week after that. I left the house at about 2 weeks and felt great, I just took it easy.

#3- I am 6 days pp and I feel great. I have started to take walks with my older son albeit short and slow. I am not taking the meds anymore either. I still have some discomfort but I think I will be fine soon, I am just trying not to over do it now.

Everyone recovers different. Take it day by day and try not to overdo it.

Pinky 12/07 : Sparky 02/12 : Rocky 08/13 

• I had an emergency c-section with an easier than I anticipated recovery. I think I could have done what you described at a week pp.
  • My recovery with my second csection which was unplanned and after 24 hours of induced labor has been far easier than my first planned csection for breech. That being said, my first wasn't all that bad either. Good luck!

• I had a kind-of planned csection.. DS was breech, but he ended up being delivered 2 days earlier than scheduled due to labor starting (he was double-footling breech, where both feet were down in the birth canal).
    First outing was 4days PP, and out of necessity for nursing bras. 3weeks PP now and prob at about 90percent..
    Love: 08/04/2006
    Marriage: 10/02/2010
      Computer Hope
    Baby Carriage: 
    BFP#1 : 03.2012........MMC + D&C : 05.2012
    BFP#2 : 11.12.2012..........Born 07.17.2013

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    The Buggy List blog
  • Mine was scheduled and within a week I was practically up and about.. Not sure I'd feel up to going out.. But recovery was a lot easier than I had anticipated.
  • I had an emergency c-section after a failed 14 hour induction with my DD. I was at my DH's baseball game a week later. I went to another game three days later an hour or so from home. I was fine.

I had a somewhat planned c-section with my DS. I drove 160 miles round trip with both kids a week later to have newborn pictures made. I was picking up my 25 lb toddler the day after surgery.

I had super easy recoveries with both. I could have been back at work two weeks pp. I felt that good...and was on no pain medicine by four days out with both kids.
  • I was out and about at 5 days. My c section was scheduled but my water broke at 36 weeks. Not an emergency though.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"