Stay at Home Moms

Food "nuts" and then the opposite camp...come in.

OK, just came across this on Pinterest. I want to know your first reaction to these lunches. Lunches for a boy, from both his Kindergarten and 1st grade year. The pictures tell you what each thing is if you hover over the box.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mslil65/sets/72157601755804789/

Re: Food "nuts" and then the opposite camp...come in.

• OK, other people look! I really want to know what people think!

• To me it looks fine.  I think juice once a day is NBD.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm amazed at the amount of sugar in them. Like cookies for snack, separate dessert at lunch, multiple kinds of fruit and juice all in one lunch box.
  • My first reaction is this mom seriously needs a life. Not to be mean, I can see taking a pic every once in a while if I went to this much trouble, but every freaking day???

Second reaction, this is a serious AW.

Third reaction, juice every day???

Final reaction, that is a crapload of processed sugar every day.

The end. 

ETA: I am a picky parent, but not one to freak out about things like goldfish, though we do bunnies at home. We do not do juice for the simple reason Amy posted in the earlier thread, she love water why spoil it? 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I need to pack DD's lunches next year. I don't plan to send juice every day, or really ever. We don't normally buy it, not because I'm completely against it but if she drinks water then why mess with it? I plan to send milk. It otherwise seems random but decent.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• imageTheGriffs:

My first reaction is this mom seriously needs a life. Not to be mean, I can see taking a pic every once in a while if I went to this much trouble, but every freaking day???

The end. 

Well, when I was making bentos for DD I got a little obsessed with the pictures. 

But yes, your 3rd and 4th reactions were what I was thinking.  

• imageKateMW:
    imageTheGriffs:

My first reaction is this mom seriously needs a life. Not to be mean, I can see taking a pic every once in a while if I went to this much trouble, but every freaking day???

The end. 

Well, when I was making bentos for DD I got a little obsessed with the pictures. 

But yes, your 3rd and 4th reactions were what I was thinking.  

I haven't done bentos, I think they're really cute. I just think 2 years of pics is overkill. I think she's using organic without thinking about what's still in it all, i.e. sugar. 

• The picture I'm on right now has...

Caramel rice cakes 

Marshmallows

Animal Crackers

Good and Plenty

Yogurt with granola topping

Strawberries and pineapple

Bottle of juice

plus 1 small part of the lunch box filled with grilled chicken, tomatoes/peppers and two cubes of cheese. 

• imageI Heart The 80s:
    I'm chuckling at the huge close ups of the organic stuff. She sure wants people to know about the organic stuff! My DD is so picky, I just send a sandwich, fruit and yogurt. Then I hope for the best!

I was thinking the same. But it doesn't seem like organic is truly important to her when I see the amounts of processed crap and giant bottles of juice.
    FWIW, I do like the Bento box idea. It's fun. This is just overkill though. I've seen cute Bento box lunches, and these weren't cute at all.

big brother 5/30/10  *  cp 4/27/12  *  little sister 2/25/13

• imageKateMW:

The picture I'm on right now has...

Caramel rice cakes 

Marshmallows

Animal Crackers

Good and Plenty

Bottle of juice

plus 1 small part of the lunch box filled with grilled chicken, tomatoes/peppers and two cubes of cheese. 

The last part is good and the fruit. I can even get behind one of those treats. I mean, I pack my own DD the graham bunny crackers sometimes. I think there needs to be some kind of whole grain cracker in there or something. She does do crackers pretty often. 

Also, I am fascinated with this now... 

• There's just too much sh!t out of a package in these lunches.

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imageKateMW:
    The picture I'm on right now has...Caramel rice cakesnbsp;MarshmallowsAnimal CrackersGood and PlentyYogurt with granola toppingStrawberries and pineappleBottle of juiceplus 1 small part of the lunch box filled with grilled chicken, tomatoes/peppers and two cubes of cheese.nbsp;nbsp;

So she probably has a hundred pound seven year old who bounces off the damn ceilings. How can anyone think a little kid needs that damn much sugar?!

big brother 5/30/10  *  cp 4/27/12  *  little sister 2/25/13

• I'll be honest, a lot of it is not what I feed my kid on the reg (or, ever), but I know it's a whole hell of a lot better than what a lot of other kids are eating.
    imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I can't get passed the juice. My kids take bottled water and I consider myself pretty lax.
  • imagediscobelle:
    That woman needs a hobby.

I think this is it.

• Some of those lunches seem huge for a kinder kid. Or I am not feeding my kid enough. DDs lunch is usually Greek yogurt, pretzels, and an apple with water. 
  • id012id012 member
    I love salami and riccotta
  • imageAndrewsgal:
    I can't get passed the juice. My kids take bottled water and I consider myself pretty lax.

We send a water bottle for class each day and then she can buy a milk at school. The juice is just crazy to me. 

• imageid012:

I think it's pepperoni and cream cheese. 

• ta78ta78 member

I have seen a lot worse school lunches. I know a lot of moms on here don't give their kids juice, but at least it's juice. My nephew who is in 1st grade was just telling me all his friends got soda in their lunches.

i like seeing a mom make some sort of effort with their kids lunch. Some of those are definitely better than others though. 

Q :  06.25.10
    W : 01.11.13

#3 : due 11.02.15

• There's definitely more sugar than I'd prefer, but I kind of think the things her kid will (apparently) eat that so many other kids won't (like any vegetable, pretty much), makes up for it.  Decent amount of processed things but decent amount of not.  Seems like a good balance among the food groups. I don't like the juice part either but eh, not a huge deal to me.  A small juice box and then some water or milk would be a better option, if they want to include juice. Overall I really think it's a ton healthier than most kids eat.
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • imageamy052006:

But marshmellows?  I mean come on.

Is she posting this to demonstrate "healthy lunches"?

Also, I think I just can't get past the sheer amount of food -- both of my kids are total beasts and eat no where near that much even in one meal and one snack

I was thinking "I hope they give them a long time to eat..."

• imageHav=Fath:
    I bet she's a mom that thinks she's doing great by her kid. I also bet it's a lot better than a whole lot of lunches that his friends are eating.

It's probably got as much sugar as three of his friend's lunches. Why am I not shocked you think it's perfectly fine? Come on Hav...tell me you are kidding. 

• Let me just say, as a mother who has seen 4 years of elementary school lunches, this is bad. I would say that maybe 3 kids out of 20-22 in DD's class would have anything even close to this large or that much sugar. Plus nobody drinks anything but a school milk or their water bottle. 

Typical lunch I see...

Sandwich of some kind with meat or pb&j, meat and cheese cubes similar to what you see there, but it's the largest thing in the lunch, not the smallest.

Some sort of chip or cracker like bunnies, goldfish, wheat thins, or the occasional Doritos or Lays.

Some sort of fresh fruit or apple sauce or yogurt

Maybe a fruit rollup, gummies or small cookies for a treat plus maybe raisins

Plus water or milk.  

• imageKateMW:
    Let me just say, as a mother who has seen 4 years of elementary school lunches, this is bad. I would say that maybe 3 kids out of 2022 in DD's class would have anything even close to this large or that much sugar. Plus nobody drinks anything but a school milk or their water bottle.nbsp;Typical lunch I see...Sandwich of some kind with meat or pbamp;j, meat and cheese cubes similar to what you see there, but it's the largest thing in the lunch, not the smallest.Some sort of chip or cracker like bunnies, goldfish, wheat thins, or the occasional Doritos or Lays.Some sort of fresh fruit or apple sauce or yogurtMaybe a fruit rollup, gummies or small cookies for a treat plus maybe raisinsPlus water or milk. nbsp;nbsp;
    Yep this is the typical lunch I see too.
  • Too many carbs and pre-packaged carb-y things, and juice *and* applesauce? What about sliced apples instead? 

Honestly, though, this is giving me some ideas about what to pack for DS1 when he starts kindergarten this fall...I like the cream cheese-stuffed things!

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• imageMermaids&Magic:

imageKateB1984:
     a wonder bread sandwich with a Kraft cheese slice inside 

I can already feel the flames, but what is wrong with this stuff? 

It's all processed crap. White flour, fake cheese.
  • imageMermaids&Magic:

imageKateB1984:

No flames.  If you're genuinely asking...  The sandwich is supposed to be the most nutrient packed portion of the lunch -- the "main course" if you will?  I think we can all agree on that.

You're serving your kid something that is completely void of any REAL nutrients.  Kraft cheese slices are made of too many things and not enough real ingredients (like MILK), and wonder bread is fortified to return some of the naturally occurring goodness that SHOULD be in whole grains.  

Prudence
    Otis
    Hank 

• id012id012 member
    imageKateMW:

imageid012:

I think it's pepperoni and cream cheese. 

Oh. Then disregaurd
  • imageMermaids&Magic:
    imageASullivan1231:
    imageMermaids&Magic:

imageKateB1984:

How is Kraft fake? Is it not the same as the other things you get at the deli? how else are you supposed to get cheese slices?

Have you never eaten anything other than Kraft Singles?  If not, you're missing out!! 

Is This Cheese? Kraft Singles [Cheese Miniseries Part 3 / 3] | Fooducate  

Prudence
    Otis
    Hank 

• imagenosoup4u:

Too many carbs and pre-packaged carb-y things, and juice *and* applesauce? What about sliced apples instead? 

Honestly, though, this is giving me some ideas about what to pack for DS1 when he starts kindergarten this fall...I like the cream cheese-stuffed things!

Oh don't worry, she has some lunches with fresh fruit plus applesauce plus fruit rollups! 

• imageKateB1984:
    imageMermaids&Magic:
    imageASullivan1231:
    imageMermaids&Magic:

imageKateB1984:

How is Kraft fake? Is it not the same as the other things you get at the deli? how else are you supposed to get cheese slices?

With a knife, from a block of cheese. I wouldn't judge the cheese slice itself in a lunch with whole grains, fruits and vegetables. But in a lunch with sugary juice, cookies, super-refined white bread and candy, it's one more thing.

Nailed it.

Prudence
    Otis
    Hank 

• imageKateMW:

The picture I'm on right now has...

Caramel rice cakes 

Marshmallows

Animal Crackers

Good and Plenty

Bottle of juice

If that was all in one box I obviously didn't pay close enough attention. That's a lot.

• Off topic but I send DD a surprise in her lunch once a week. Either a note, sticker, new eraser or pencil and gasp even candy once in a blu moon. She loves it and I love her face when I pick her up and she thanks me. 
  • imageHav=Fath:
    imageKateMW:

Let me just say, as a mother who has seen 4 years of elementary school lunches, this is bad. I would say that maybe 3 kids out of 20-22 in DD's class would have anything even close to this large or that much sugar. Plus nobody drinks anything but a school milk or their water bottle. 

Typical lunch I see...

Sandwich of some kind with meat or pb&j, meat and cheese cubes similar to what you see there, but it's the largest thing in the lunch, not the smallest.

Some sort of chip or cracker like bunnies, goldfish, wheat thins, or the occasional Doritos or Lays.

Plus water or milk.  

You have made it very clear that your daughter is in the best school in your area, AG I'm sure your kids are too, that's not the case everywhere though. When I was growing up most of my friends had the same lunch as me, a PB&J sandwich on white bread, a Little Debbie cake and a bag of chips... I got chocolate milk at school. The kids here bring Lunchables for the most part (the kids that I know anyway) and I've heard teachers talk about the sad things they see the kids bring. You guys forget that in more affluent communities things are just different. 

ETA: Honestly school is too far off to even be on my radar about what to send her, but I know I'll do my best to make sure it's healthy as possible.

You are absolutely right! 

Honestly my only problem with these lunches was the amount of food and the juice. I do think she is trying, and it is a hell of a lot better than buying lunch. After only four years I am burnt out in packing lunches and I do give this mom props for the time and effort this takes. 

• herohero member
    imageMermaids&Magic:

So DH andI legit grew up with the worst nutrition ever and even though we're in our mid- to late 20s I'm still trying to figure out what's good  and isnt'. (I'm sure I'm making Amynumbers post it right now)

Where do you buy blocks of cheese? I only ever see like little things of sharp cheddar at the grocery store.

Is American cheese bad and processed?

What is worse: White bread or split top wheat? 

American cheese can't be sold as cheese alone. If you look at the the packaging, it's called a prepared cheese product or processed cheese or cheese food.  

<Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers>
  • imageMermaids&Magic:
    imageASullivan1231:
    imageMermaids&Magic:

imageKateB1984:

Cheese comes in these things called "blocks", and you use a "knife" to cut them into your own "slices". Lord almighty.  

ETA: That was mean, sorry. Any cheese that's in a block is better than American, no matter the brand. Really good books to read about food are "Real Food" by Nina Planck, and "The Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan. They're both fast reads, and give a good explanation of what's wrong with American food culture these days (too much processed stuff, not enough traditional/homemade-ish things or veggies).

And there's most likely some sort of locally-sourced food sources by you (meat, veggies/fruit, eggs, dairy, etc.). Do what you can, eating local and organic can get pricey. Some people opt to eat less meat, but of better quality. Eating organic/local dairy, meat and eggs are the biggest ones to aim for. 

DS1 - Feb 2008

• imageHav=Fath:
    imageAndrewsgal:
    imageHav=Fath:
    imageKateMW:

Let me just say, as a mother who has seen 4 years of elementary school lunches, this is bad. I would say that maybe 3 kids out of 20-22 in DD's class would have anything even close to this large or that much sugar. Plus nobody drinks anything but a school milk or their water bottle. 

Typical lunch I see...

Plus water or milk.  

You have made it very clear that your daughter is in the best school in your area, AG I'm sure your kids are too, that's not the case everywhere though. When I was growing up most of my friends had the same lunch as me, a PB&J sandwich on white bread, a Little Debbie cake and a bag of chips... I got chocolate milk at school. The kids here bring Lunchables for the most part (the kids that I know anyway) and I've heard teachers talk about the sad things they see the kids bring. You guys forget that in more affluent communities things are just different. 

ETA: Honestly school is too far off to even be on my radar about what to send her, but I know I'll do my best to make sure it's healthy as possible.

You are absolutely right! 

Honestly my only problem with these lunches was the amount of food and the juice. I do think she is trying, and it is a hell of a lot better than buying lunch. After only four years I am burnt out in packing lunches and I do give this mom props for the time and effort this takes. 

Thanks. I just honest to god teared up, it's been a long day, I was just sitting here thinking about how when we were kids money was always tight and we knew it. I hated to tell my mom I needed lunch money and usually she didn't always remember it, so I'd charge it. Then it would get to be a large amount so they'd stop letting you charge until it was paid off so I'd pack. I remember once I packed peanut butter crackers because we didn't have any bread and the cafeteria woman hollered in front of my class that I couldn't eat that for lunch, it wasn't "a real lunch"... she had a lisp and spit when she hollered it. I remember telling my mom about it that afternoon and she was so ashamed (as I was) that I had been charging and she hadn't let me eat my dam crackers. Haha, long day. Carry on.  

Oh have, that is heart breaking. I think sometimes we get so wrapped up in our bubbles we forget we don't live in the real world. I would say 99% of us live well above the national salary average. 

PICK have never been there but I have taught students who the only real meal they get is free lunch and breakfast. No matter how crappy it is, it is still food. 

• imagenosoup4u:
    imageMermaids&Magic:
    imageASullivan1231:
    imageMermaids&Magic:

imageKateB1984:

Cheese comes in these things called "blocks", and you use a "knife" to cut them into your own "slices". Lord almighty.  

Or you go to the deli and get them to slice them sandwich thin for you. Whole foods is my cheese haven. 
  • imageKateMW:
    imagenosoup4u:

Too many carbs and pre-packaged carb-y things, and juice *and* applesauce? What about sliced apples instead? 

Oh don't worry, she has some lunches with fresh fruit plus applesauce plus fruit rollups! 

Ah, in that case, carry on! She forgot the fruit-flavored sucker to complete the theme, though. 

DS1 - Feb 2008

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"