January 2014 Moms

Runners - check-in!

Have we done one of these lately?  If so, sorry if I missed it!

1. Have you been feeling good enough to keep running?  How's your mileage been?

2. Any races upcoming?

3.  Any tips to share?

Good luck to all you fellow running MTBs! :)

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Runners - check-in!

•  1. Not for the past several weeks, but I'm back at it this week! Mileage is low and slow, but better than nothing.

2. Nope - I'm too competitive and I fear that I'd push myself too much in a race situation.

3.   Stay super well hydrated the day before and the day of your running days!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Man, I just recently had energy to start up again. I missed it!

No races, as the hot weather and the fact that I most likely will be too big. :

My main issue is that I find that my core temp rises much faster and so I have to slow down more. It feels good though to be back running.
    diebelt
  • Loading the player...
  • I had no idea that my March marathon would be my last hurrah for a while.

I've just been cleared to do some light swimming and short walks. I am not supposed to let my heart rate go up or sweat. Its strange to feel so useless, but its temporary so doable.  

I was trying to decide if I would have time to train for LA Marathon (late march) after the babies arrive - I would have two months, but probably way less due to c/s and lack of sleep. So....sadly probably a no.  

********************************************************************************************
    Married my best friend, June 8, 2008

5/17/13 BFP!!! 6/6/13 - OMG its TWINS!

Josie and Lexie were born on January 4, 2014 at 37w2d
    Josie was 5lbs2oz, Lexie was 4lbs15oz 
    Both had a 9 APGAR score with no NICU time
    Planned unscheduled C-Section due to both being breech
    We all went home on Jan 6th, 2 days after surgery

My popular blog posts:

imageimage

imageimage
  • Ugh, been slacking lately...been only going 1 to 2 times per week. I was going to run in a 4 mile race on Saturday, but we had something come up so I won't be able to do it. I usually go 4 to 6 miles but my pace has slowed down.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ugh is right! I am normally a die-hard, and not running my daily 6-7 is killing me. I am down to MAYBE 3 to 4 miles (max) 1 to 3 times per week. And there were about 3 weeks that I couldn't do anything at all. Much slower, tired much more quickly and sometimes I can't even walk.  On a walk yesterday (with my 2 dogs and a 5 and 3 year old in the double stroller), I had to stop 1/2 way up the hill and sit down and eat a granola bar. I miss running! Will be 11 weeks tomorrow
  • Great idea!

1.  I have definitely not been up to my usual fitness/running game. I make it out for an actual run probably 1-2X/week but I am starting to get more energy again so I am hoping to bring it back up to 4-5X in the next couple weeks.  I do walk 2 miles to and from work every day, so I tell myself that sort of makes up for it!  My milage while running is still pretty on-point at ~4 miles per go. I think my speed is more like 10m/m than my usual 8-9 and I definitely listen to my body and take breaks.  I NEED to be better with brining water with me...I just already bring my dog and so holding a leash AND water is a pain in my toosh-- though I know it absolutely needs to be done.

2. A couple 5k's-- the electric run and the color run this fall. More for fun than anything. 

3. Listen to your body and instead of focusing on heart rate (which is going to be much higher), while jogging try to remain conversational...aka if you're unable to chat with someone or sing along with a song, time to slow down or take a break. Also water...I try to drink a ton before I leave (which then leads to me having to pee halfway through my run...not awesome), and tons when I get home...but making sure you bring enough to keep you from having any sort of dry mouth during the run is super important.  Dehydration for us pregnant ladies is way worse and isn't just affecting us! 

CafeMom Tickers
  • @fergy

that is a marvelous idea--- I have thought of it, but I had one once and I must be too bouncy when I run because it was more irritating than helpful-- but maybe I just needed one with a better design!  I have some rewards $$ for sports authority...I think I know where I'm headed this weekend! Thanks girl!!  

CafeMom Tickers
  • 1. Have you been feeling good enough to keep running?  How's your mileage been?  Yes, run about 3-4x a week, about 3-4 miles per run.

2. Any races upcoming? 5k in August

3.  Any tips to share? Try not to throw in the running towel until your body really tells you otherwise. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • 1. Have you been feeling good enough to keep running? Yes but it's hot here and I loathe the treadmill.
    How's your mileage been? 25 to 30 miles a week but I'm getting slower
    2. Any races upcoming? Probably do a few 10ks in September
    Any tips to share? If you run slow and with water, you can run comfortably, even in the hot weather

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagefrenchielove777:

1. Have you been feeling good enough to keep running?  How's your mileage been?

Very intermittently but over the past few weeks it has been my lifeline to sanity! I feel most normal when running although a few days I had to call it and not run at all because my body was just not having it.

2. Any races upcoming?

Funny story, I signed up for a half marathon with my BF. This was going to be her first ever half marathon since I would train with her. Yeah, a month later I found out I was pregnant. 

Since running still feels great on some days and my dr cleared me I still am hoping to jog/walk the run. I hope there isn't a cut off time I can't make to complete the course! I'm thinking since I have been walking and jogging all along I will have no problem completing it, I just hope I can do it in the given time. In all seriousness though I'll withdraw if I don't think it's a good idea as we get closer.

3.  Any tips to share?

Nope...hoping I am listening to my body well and baby and I can stay healthy. I still feel like theres a little bit of a stigma to pregnant women running. Anyone else feel that way?

Good luck everyone! 

January Siggy Challenge

Praying for our May15 baby!          January 2014- Welcome Sweet Kimber!
    image     image
  • imagerunrun26.2:

Have we done one of these lately?  If so, sorry if I missed it!

1. Have you been feeling good enough to keep running?  How's your mileage been?  I've been running as much as possible. Last pregnancy I was put on bed rest at 25 weeks, so I'm running every day while I still can. Mileage is good, 15-20 per week. Long run was 6.25 this past week. The heat has been keeping me from running longer at one time. Still running with my 2 year old in the stroller so that's a lot of work.

2. Any races upcoming? Not yet. I'm looking for a fall half marathon, maybe the Black Diamond Half in September. I ran it last year and it was beautiful.

3.  Any tips to share? Stay hydrated. That's one reason I'm still pushing the stroller - easy access drink holder. Otherwise, just keep putting one foot in front of the other. I remember 2nd tri running to be easier than 1st tri.

Good luck to all you fellow running MTBs! :)

Whoa run run- you're my hero! Love reading this! I hope 2nd tri running is easier like you mentioned! 

January Siggy Challenge

image     image
  • You ladies are amazing and I'm so jealoussss!!! Can someone give me some advice?! I am a FTM and before pregnancy I ran at least 4 days a week 2 to 5 miles each day. At my very first OB appt I was told that I could keep running as long as I didn't take more than 1 day off. I work back to back 12 hr shifts and on those days it was hard to fit it in even before m/s! When I protested at the Dr. office I was met with, "you can do what you want, but well... We don't know why miscarriages happen..." Needless to say I haven't run since and every time I even think about it I'm plagued with guilt. I guess I'm just feeling trapped by my body and I miss even just the stress relief of a good run! I guess what I'm asking is has anyone else heard this before?! If you're still reading, thanks for listening to me whine! Just feeling a little sad and cheated in this area!
  • WOW! Do you have other things that would make your pregnancy high risk? I feel like that aloof response was inappropriate on behalf of your ob. Also, why did he/she say you could do it if you didn't miss a single day? I would think that running every day could not be ideal base don how your body feels? I'm a ftm too, BUT if my ob was so dismissive about my inquiries I might go elsewhere. When running is a fundamental part of someones health (mentally and physically) it shouldn't be dismissed quickly. That's how I feel anyways. Good luck and trust your instincts.
                January Siggy Challenge

image     image
  • Thanks for this! I don't have anything high risk about his pregnancy but after someone says that it's hard not to hear that in my head after anything I consider doing ya know! They said I could go back to walking only after taking more than a day. Coincidentally I had a 5k that week I had to back out of : I'm just going to live vicariously through you guys so keep posting about your runs!! I'm cheering for all of you!!!
  • imageSonoma63:
    Thanks for this! I don't have anything high risk about his pregnancy but after someone says that it's hard not to hear that in my head after anything I consider doing ya know! They said I could go back to walking only after taking more than a day. Coincidentally I had a 5k that week I had to back out of : I'm just going to live vicariously through you guys so keep posting about your runs!! I'm cheering for all of you!!!

This makes no sense to me...check out the book Exercising Through Your Pregnancy.  There has not been a lot of research done proving that exercising can negatively impact your pregnancy, but it is a common myth that even OB's tend to lean on.  My OB even said to watch my heart rate, but in the book it says that there is no way your heart rate would ever get high enough to impact your baby.  There is some great stats and research in this book.  Hope it helps!

• imageSonoma63:
    Thanks for this! I don't have anything high risk about his pregnancy but after someone says that it's hard not to hear that in my head after anything I consider doing ya know! They said I could go back to walking only after taking more than a day. Coincidentally I had a 5k that week I had to back out of : I'm just going to live vicariously through you guys so keep posting about your runs!! I'm cheering for all of you!!!

This makes no sense to me...check out the book Exercising Through Your Pregnancy.  There has not been a lot of research done proving that exercising can negatively impact your pregnancy, but it is a common myth that even OB's tend to lean on.  My OB even said to watch my heart rate, but in the book it says that there is no way your heart rate would ever get high enough to impact your baby.  There is some great stats and research in this book.  Hope it helps!

• imageSonoma63:
    You ladies are amazing and I'm so jealoussss!!! Can someone give me some advice?! I am a FTM and before pregnancy I ran at least 4 days a week 2 to 5 miles each day. At my very first OB appt I was told that I could keep running as long as I didn't take more than 1 day off. I work back to back 12 hr shifts and on those days it was hard to fit it in even before m/s! When I protested at the Dr. office I was met with, "you can do what you want, but well... We don't know why miscarriages happen..." Needless to say I haven't run since and every time I even think about it I'm plagued with guilt. I guess I'm just feeling trapped by my body and I miss even just the stress relief of a good run! I guess what I'm asking is has anyone else heard this before?! If you're still reading, thanks for listening to me whine! Just feeling a little sad and cheated in this area!

I am a FTM (of 2) and ran DAILY throughout both of my other pregnancies. Seriously, til 38 weeks with #1 and til #36 weeks with #2.  In the first tri I would still do my 6 mile runs. Got slower and shorter as I went, but don't think I ever did less that 4 miles, daily.  Both my girls were perfectly normal and healthy

But YEAH< I wouldn't run either, if my doctor said that! I would consider switching doctors, I think that was a weird thing to say 

• Thanks for the love ladies!!!
  • 1. No. :( I haven't run since Memorial weekend. I finally started feeling better this week so I went to the gym and did the elliptical because it felt more stable.

2. Any races upcoming? I have a Twilight 8K I like to do every summer and it's next weekend. If I can make it to the gym 3 times this week, I'm going to do walk-up reg! :) It's too hot to run during the day/evening for me. I hate east coast humidity!

3.  Any tips to share? Not yet but happy to take them all in!

Married: 9.22.12 - DD: 1.7.14 - EDD 2: 10.30.17 - J14 OG
  • imageSonoma63:
    When I protested at the Dr. office I was met with, "you can do what you want, but well... We don't know why miscarriages happen..." Needless to say I haven't run since and every time I even think about it I'm plagued with guilt.

I would like to punch your OB. What a TERRIBLE thing to say. Pregnant women are ENCOURAGED to workout these days for a whole host of reasons. Many mc's are because a pregnancy would not have remained genetically viable. It is NOT because the mother was a runner/rock climber/circus performer/etc. My OB is a marathoner and has encouraged me to keep running but remind other docs in the practice that I see that I'm running so it's just on their minds. You should not feel guilty about keeping yourself healthy. There's a Runner's World book on Amazon that deals with running during pregnancy and has some GREAT tips on listening to your body and knowing what to expect from yourself. Please don't feel guilty.

Married: 9.22.12 - DD: 1.7.14 - EDD 2: 10.30.17 - J14 OG
  • 1. Just last weekend, I finally went for a run. It was kind of depressing turning on my app and seeing that my last run was on June 7th, the day before we left for vacation, but hey, at least I've got the energy back for it now. I have never been a big, big runner, usually 10-15 miles per week, and on Saturday I was able to run at a 10 minute pace for almost 2 miles before my heart rate got too high (I try and stay in the 160's at the top end or I'll start getting dizzy/nausous) and I started walking. After a few minute walking break, I basically ran 1/2 mile, walked 1/8 mile, until I finished around 4 miles. My overall pace (walking and running) was just under 12 minutes--whatever. It's slow, but I don't care, it all felt good.

2. We are signed up for 2 5k races, one is the public television fun run in August, and another is just a neighborhood run in September. Neither are super competitive (you can run with a jogging stroller) and should just be fun.

3.   None. Just listen to your body. And don't be too hard on yourself if your pace is slow or you don't go as far as you'd like. It's all good.

Will baby #3 be another girl?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

]

• imagebethughknee:

I would like to punch your OB

-----I would feel like this too--- 

There's a Runner's World book on Amazon that deals with running during pregnancy and has some GREAT tips on listening to your body and knowing what to expect from yourself. Please don't feel guilty.

----Do you happen to know the name of it- I'd like to do more reading!--- 

Nice info ladies! Thanks. 

January Siggy Challenge

image     image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"