Attachment Parenting

Napping

Just want to hear what naps look like in the world of attachment parenting. While I don't necessarily consider myself full-on AP, LO is EBF (won't take bottle, or paci for that matter), choose to wear baby when out & about and cannot do CIO at any age.  So I sorta lean that way.

Long story short, at 15 weeks we have hit Naptime Hell. (for the last 6 weeks she was falling asleep on her own, quite happily).  I know this is a typical time for sleep regression so I know I need a New Plan, my one obstacle being that 4 days a week she comes to work with me (small, church office).

So what were/are naps like for your 3-4 month old?? 

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Napping

• What's this strange "nap" phenomenon that you refer to? 

DD is now 5.5 months and she has never really napped.  She generally takes two 30-minute naps during the day at daycare.  And that's it.  On weekends when I have her all day she'll fall asleep while BFing occasionally.  And sometimes she'll surprise me and take a 2 hour nap, but very rarely.

I have other mom friends with babies who are cat-nappers like DD, who didn't really nap regularly until they were toddlers.  And there is some evidence out there that sleep patterns are genetic.

https://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57586305/genes-play-a-role-in-babys-sleep-at-night/

Just not sure you can predict/schedule sleep patterns when they are this young without a lot of frustration. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • =Lee=B=Lee=B member

My 4 month old sleeps in a variety of places depending on our day.  She can and will sleep happily in her crib (with the 4month wakeful I now find her nap there is only about 20min where it used to be a good hour or more).  She naps on the couch on main floor while I am puttering around (won't for much longer as she's nearing roll time and my pillow wall won't hold her once that happens).

She loves to nap in the carrier...these naps tend to be the longest.  She is in the carrier for all naps out of the house and some at home.

She puts herself to sleep while playing under her hanging toy mat some days while playing.

I would think if you have her at work then the easiest thing is to have her nap in the carrier.  For my daughter I put her in, walk, "shhhhhhh-ing" and I gently pat her bum...this is her cue to pass out! 

My daughter is an excellent sleeper but the 4month wakeful has made it a bit harder to keep her asleep.  She likes to wake after 20-25min..so I keep her close to get her back to sleep (pop soother in, stroke hair, rub a lovey on her cheek, she LOVES to hold my fingers) then she drifts off to sleep again...till the next wake up.

• Loading the player...
  • imageReeceFamily:

What's this strange "nap" phenomenon that you refer to? 

DD is now 5.5 months and she has never really napped.  She generally takes two 30-minute naps during the day at daycare.  And that's it.  On weekends when I have her all day she'll fall asleep while BFing occasionally.  And sometimes she'll surprise me and take a 2 hour nap, but very rarely.

Same. We called DS1 "No Nap Nate" and his brother is exactly the same.  I gave up a long time ago. :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Thanks, ladies!

DS2 was a crappy sleeper; ped. said "Well there are those kids who need less sleep than there parents." and at 6 he still sleeps very little.

I think I needed a reminder to just do what works and not fight it. I can see that she wants/needs to sleep. I think I was so pleased that she was napping on her own I was thrown for a loop when that stopped.

She won't take a paci and SCREAMS if she is rocked/held to sleep. So when I do have to nap her in the carrier it is pretty sad.  She is a finger sucker and is close to figuring out sucking on fingers will make her feel better--but still needs swaddling so that doesn't help much.

Just now I swaddled her and nursed her to sleep--which at this age is better than no sleep, right! I think I have read too many books/blogs/message boards and just need to do what works and feels right.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Your home of Chanel details itself while audacious, perfectionist, exclusive, passionate along with visionary. This This particular language brand can be unbeatable regarding fashion understanding for females. Chanel is often a favourite involving privileged girls of substantial societies worldwide. The company is renowned producer involving fashionable fancy dress costumes, fashion equipment, unique variety of fragrances, ???????1500 okay jewellery ??????? along with watches along with sunglasses. Eyewears through the House involving Chanel are generally synonymous using elegance, riches, elitism, exclusiveness and also the ultimate indicator of French real professional. People enjoy Chanel sunglasses automobile durability and excellent. You hold that class if you wear some Chanel sun glasses. Chanel sun glasses are suitable with formal and also casual adidas jeremy scott seems RayBan ????? to be.
  • My baby comes to work with me sometimes too. Not consistently, but enough. I have a swing in my office and if I put him in it before he gets too tired, he will fall asleep in it. Key word here is BEFORE. If I put him in it when he's already sleepy/fussy, it's no good. Otherwise I would recommend a carrier or sling. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"