December 2013 Moms

Do we need to take classes?

So I keep hearing everyone talking about all the classes they are taking and I just do not have that kind of time! I am in grad school, finishing a residency, and working full time. My husband co-owns/manages a small business and normally is not home until 8:30pm or later so we maybe have 2 hours together before I have to go to bed because I am up at 6:30 for work. He gets 1 week day off a week that changes all the time and I have weekends off. We probably spend about 12-15 hours together a week (excluding sleeping) and it?s at very odd hours. We basically are trying to tie up all the loose ends we have going on before December so we can have more time together as a family once the peanut arrives. There is no way I can think of that we could do a 2 day a week for 4 weeks class. So I guess my question is- Will I die during labor if I don?t have an associate?s degree in birth?

I was also wondering does anyone knows of any reputable online classes that we could do on our own time? I have looked into a few (but not that hard because I am only 18 weeks) but I don?t know what I really need and what?s just fluff I don?t need to waste time/money on. Thanks for your help ladies!

Mom+Dad+Josie+May 2015=2 under 2!!!!  

Re: Do we need to take classes?

• I think babycenter has free online ones people seem to like pretty well.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I didn't the first time and won't this time either.  The nurses tell you what to do and can offer suggestions to ease the process.

• Loading the player...
  • DH and I sat in a class for 7 hours. Total waste of money and time. Once I was in labor my body took over and did whatever it needed to do to cope. There was no time to think about massaging and whatever not. But everyone is different so maybe you will benefit from it but I do not think they are necessary.
    Logan Alexander born May 9th 2011. He has stolen my heart forever. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #2 05/24/12 EDD 01/31/13 D&C 06/26/12 Missing you. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Diagnosed with Ashermans 11/06/12 Surgery 01/18/13, Cleared for TTC 03/01/13 BFP 03/26/13 IT'S A BOY! Please Be Our Rainbow! BabyFruit Ticker
  • You tube!!!! You can watch a 10 minute video on pretty much anything you might need to know about! Forget classes, try You tube.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've never taken any.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • i think a lot of the different labor management methods have associated books. i'm very much a solo learner, so i'm doing a home study for my method of choice, and H is planning on reading "The Birth Partner". 

we're tentatively planning on taking a one day 7-hr class at our hospital, but i'll be in school this fall and i'm not sure how that will factor into my schedule. we'll see. 

you'll be fine without classes. 

my read shelf:
    Ashley 's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Took them with my first, it was a waste.

If you plan on doing a specific birthing method then you may benefit from classes.
    imageimage    
    imageimage
  • You'll do fine.  The birth class we took was helpful but definitely not necessary.  I don't think my birth experience would have been much different without it.

You can find a lot of the same info online anyway...and I'd recommend YouTubing similar stuff re: breastfeeding, because our BFing class was super helpful. 

-DS #1 due 7/1/11, born 7/7/11
    -m/c Feb 2013 at 4w6d
    -DS #2 due 12/24/13, born 12/11/13
  • It depends what type of birth plan u have. If you are planning on using hypnobabies, yeah you will need some type of class. If you want to have a hospital birth, with epidural and open to interventions then nope you won't need anything. If you are in between then doing some research on your own and online type videos and a hospital tour should be enough.
  • We took some classes with our first and I would say for the most part they were helpful but really not necessary.  They were all run through the hospital and were pretty cheap. so I figured we had nothing to lose.  

I ended up having a c-section though, so the birthing class did turn out to be a waste of time! 

It took 7 IUIs but it was totally worth it!
    12/14/10~~~2:05 pm~~~10lbs 9oz~~~22 in

Only 2 tries this time!
    11/4/13~~~9:22 am~~~7lbs 2oz~~~19 1/4 in

• imageBlueCards:
    I think babycenter has free online ones people seem to like pretty well.

This.  I would suggest you take an online class together if you really don't have the time for a classroom class. 

• imageunoriginal:

We took some classes with our first and I would say for the most part they were helpful but really not necessary.  They were all run through the hospital and were pretty cheap. so I figured we had nothing to lose.  

I ended up having a c-section though, so the birthing class did turn out to be a waste of time! 

Yeah that is my other big concern. I have placenta priva and even though it is obviously way too early to call I might need a C-section. Plus my family is notorious for large babies/rough deliveries resulting in C-sections. My brothers and I were all C-sections (1 breech, 1 emergency-that was me, 1 too large and got stuck, 2 ?just too GD big!) My female cousins who have all had children already were all C-sections for various reasons. I would like to go natural if I can but my Dr. said with my family history there is a pretty good chance I am getting a C-section so there really is nothing I can learn to make that easier.

Mom+Dad+Josie+May 2015=2 under 2!!!!  

• imagelisa1129:
    imageMamaHanna:
    imageunoriginal:

We took some classes with our first and I would say for the most part they were helpful but really not necessary.  They were all run through the hospital and were pretty cheap. so I figured we had nothing to lose.  

Yeah that is my other big concern. I have placenta priva and even though it is obviously way too early to call I might need a C-section. Plus my family is notorious for large babies/rough deliveries resulting in C-sections. My brothers and I were all C-sections (1 breech, 1 emergency-that was me, 1 too large and got stuck, 2 ?just too GD big!) My female cousins who have all had children already were all C-sections for various reasons. I would like to go natural if I can but my Dr. said with my family history there is a pretty good chance I am getting a C-section so there really is nothing I can learn to make that easier.

That's a tough call on the classes then. I've heard from some women that if you want to go med-free, classes are super helpful - but only certain ones, like Bradley or hypnobabies. And those tend to be really long and time-consuming. (Bradley is a 12-week course.)

We took a 5 week once a week class. I really enjoyed it but wouldn't say if absolutely necessary. Some of the pros were that it was a nice bonding experience for me and my husband, we met lots of other couples that I still stay in touch with, and the instructor of my class was a RN as well as a LC, so I met a valuable resource when I had questions on nursing after DS was born.

I went into labor so I did use the breathing and pain management techniques. I ended up with a c section, and honestly I still used the breathing techniques after my surgery to get through the pain I was in.

If you and your DH have crazy schedules, it might not be feasible to attend a class but I would definitely watch some videos when you guys have time later on

"Dont fucking ever come out your face talking shit like that" -SG 1/12/2014

• We took a class that was 2 evenings. I consider myself to "know" a lot and I felt like I was already pretty well educated and prepared. However, it was so nice learning the different stages of labor, ways your partner can help relief pain/ discomfort. How to really count and track your contractions. We found it was helpful and worth it. Our class was not that expensive and was taught by a Doula. I personally think they taught me to labor at home, not just rush to the hospital.

Everyone is different. They are not required.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Our hospital had take home DVD versions of the childbirth & Breasatfeeding classes. We took those home & watched them in like an hour.

Dr. Sears' book I thought had really good info on pain tolerance techniques for natural childbirth too.

My 2 December boys

• Honestly, we took the birthing classes whenever I was pregnant with DS, and they were completely unnecessary.  Any information we learned, could have been learned by all the pregnancy books I read.
  • Based on feedback from friends, they said most classes were a waste of time and money. My hospital does a maternity ward tour that I plan on taking in the winter, and a breastfeeding class. That's the only one I was told that was helpful. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"