August 2013 Moms

Help! What to wear post delivery

I am trying desperately to pack my hospital bag, but can't seem to pack any clothes for post delivery.  I tried looking at yoga pants and other things, but nothing fits me now (36 weeks) and I don't know what will fit immediately after delivery.  DH keeps saying just to bring sweats but we will have tons of family and friends visiting and I would like to attempt to look decent for visitors.  Doesn't need to be a ball gown but I would like to be wearing something that can pass as actual non-pajama clothes.  Any suggestions?  Tried Gap yoga pants, etc.  And someone else suggested leggings but I've been told the huge pads they give you make leggings a bad choice.  Help!

Re: Help! What to wear post delivery

• Yoga pants and a t-shirt were all I felt comfortable wearing. Honestly, your family/visitors shouldn't be judging how presentable you look after delivery. Just get some comfortable clothes. As for sizing, I looked about how I did at 4-5 months pregnant, so bring the clothes that fit you during that time.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP 3/29/2014 2u2 Let's do this!

BabyFruit Ticker

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif

• I packed some loose fitting black pajama pants, some loose tanks, and a nursing bra. If someone has an issue with my wardrobe, they can show themselves out.

ETA: These are the pants I got. They're super comfy and stretchy

https://www.target.com/p/gilligan-o-malley-women-s-fluid-knit-sleep-crop-pant-assorted-colors/-/A-14347552#prodSlot=large_1_10

Ezra James 08/22/2013  <3
    Nora Grace Due 12/26/2016  <3

Two Angel Babies 
    07/03/2012
    08/08/2015

"If you're still my small babe
    or you're all the way grown,
    my promise to you
    is you're never alone.
    You are my angel, my darling,
    my star...and my love will find you,
    wherever you are."
  • Loading the player...
  • FTM but I'm just gonna wear the hospital gown and I'll bring a robe to coverup with if family comes to the room. When I leave I'll prob wear a loose maxi dress.
  • You'll likely feel and look 6 months pregnant.  I'd pack comfy maternity clothes. Trust me, you'll want to be comfy above all else.

Edit to add: don't forget you'll be wearing monster size maxi pads too!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I have a pair of maternity yoga/lounge pants that I put on when I go into labor, then wear home afterward. Anything that hugs your butt makes you look like you are wearing a diaper afterwards.

In the two or three days after I deliver, I am huge. I look 6 months pregnant, and I am seriously bloated from the IV fluids. Nothing fits right. A week after delivery, I can generally ditch the maternity clothes. 

Generally, after you deliver you are sitting the majority of the time. When people visited at the hospital, my bottom half was covered by a blanket. I have two nicer nursing tanks that I wear when I am having company, and no one sees my lounge pants. 

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to be over, it's about learning how to dance in the rain." -Unknown

Married 3-1-08  |  Nathan 11-24-08  |  Kaelyn 11-30-10  |  Alicia  8-17-13

• Bring comfortable loose clothing that you dont mind possibly ruining. Everyone is different but I had a lot of bleeding after delivery so I didnt want to ruin my own clothes. You will likely be sore and have a gigantic pad to accomodate. I wore my hospital gown with a nicer robe over it for visitors. I was sitting in bed most of the time anyway because it was most comfortable. I would not worry even a little bit about wearing non pajama clothing at a hospital.

• I bought a night gown that can be used for nursing (low neck/easy to pull down). 
    I also purchased a nursing cami that I can wear with some PJ pants.  I packed a robe to keep me covered up as well since the nursing bras I purchased don't have much padding/support (I bought sleep ones because they seemed the most comfy for the first few weeks).
    photo crunchy_zps41233998.gifimagephoto crunchy_zps41233998.gif
    My baby is ONE!!

• imageJill9288:

I packed some loose fitting black pajama pants, some loose tanks, and a nursing bra. If someone has an issue with my wardrobe, they can show themselves out.

https://www.target.com/p/gilligan-o-malley-women-s-fluid-knit-sleep-crop-pant-assorted-colors/-/A-14347552#prodSlot=large_1_10

I had  the long  version of these with DS1 and they were/still are the most comfortable thing ever.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Yoga pants and robes are helpful, but like some of the other ladies said, you'll probably be sitting in bed when visitors come.

Another piece of advice is to maybe wear things that won't easily trip you (a maxi skirt, flare-leg yoga pants, etc.). A lot of extra fabric flapping around my feet makes me nervous for when I'll be carrying a brand-new baby around while compensating for recovery pain. I have a feeling that I'll be sticking to crop yoga pants!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagennikki10:
    FTM but I'm just gonna wear the hospital gown and I'll bring a robe to coverup with if family comes to the room. When I leave I'll prob wear a loose maxi dress.

this exactly.  I'm giving birth.  if you don't like the way I look well then too bad.  they are there to see the baby anyway and probably won't even care. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • A nice robe is all I'm bringing. Not knowing if you'll have stitches, etc., you may not want to fuss with pants. If you really want to look more put together, maybe at least bring a robe in case you're just not feeling up to pants. Honestly, I had a few stitches and those first couple days I much preferred not having to pull pants up and down--I just wore the hospital gown and sometimes a robe. In the end, I found I cared FAR less how I looked than I thought I would.

• With DD I took a couple pairs of yoga pants from Target. One pair I had outgrown at about 7 months and the other pair I actually purchased and fit into the day before going into labor. Postpartum I was also able to wear my under belly maternity jeans for about a month without having any issues keeping them up. For a top I wore nursing camisoles with a cardigan over them. They were the easiest thing while trying to figure out breastfeeding.
  • I packed a pair of yoga pants incase I am cold and some mesh shorts incase I am warm. I also have t-shirts and nursing tanks that I just bought.
    June 2010 - IVM
    July 2, 2010- BFP Beta July 5th - 931 Repeat beta July 7th - 2,779
    July 13, 2010- First ultrasound! Gestational sac found!
    July 16, 2010 - 2nd u/s due to bleeding. Twins found! Baby A is great! Praying for Baby B!
    July 23, 2010 - 3rd u/s. Saw Baby A's flicker of a heartbeat! Lost Baby B. :-(
    March 16, 2011 - Nathan James was born
    November 26, 2012 - surprise BFP! It's a girl!
    July 26, 2013 - Lilianna Jean was born

imageimage

• I stayed in my hospital gown the whole time, but I may not this time. You will be laying/sitting in bed for the most part, looking and feeling 6 months pregnant, and wearing a pillow of a pad. A nursing tank and yoga or other lounge pants will be just fine. And as another poster said, your blankets will likely be covering your bottom half anyway. Oh and just be sure that whatever you wear is easy enough to take off because a nurse will be coming in to check on your lady parts every so often. Post-birth is not glamorous.

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • imageJill9288:

I packed some loose fitting black pajama pants, some loose tanks, and a nursing bra. If someone has an issue with my wardrobe, they can show themselves out.

I bought these too! So soft and comfortable. Fabrics are really important to me. I am also bringing an bathrobe and a maternity sundress to wear home. 

• Yoga/pajama pants, a couple of tanks, nursing bras and a robe.  I'm not against the hospital gown if I feel it's most comfortable, comfort is most important to me. 

• Black yoga pants. Nursing friendly tanks/shirt. Maybe my nursing sleep bra. Hair ties. And my robe. Nothing else is necessary.

If you are really wanting to find something to make you feel prettier, maybe find a cute pajama set or night gown to wear under the robe. But be prepared to bleed on stuff, and have them bother you to be checked.
  • FTM, so who knows what I will actually use, but I packed a pair of Old Navy maternity yoga pants that are super comfy, one pair of non maternity (but very loose) capri pajamas with a button front top, a pair of loose mesh gym shorts, one regular (but big) t-shirt, two nursing bras and one nursing tank.  And I have one loose cotton dress to wear home.

I also packed a very light short robe and a zip up hoodie and I figure if I stay in the hospital gown or I want to change, either way I can just throw the hoodie or robe over me when visitors are there. My concern was that I have large breasts and I feel very weird not having a bra on at all times so I didn't want to be all out there unsupported, especially with male visitors. I figure I can throw a blanket over my bottom half more easily.

And, yes- I know I am packing too much, but everything I am taking fit in a small duffle bag, so it's not like I am taking multiple suitcases. I'd rather have a few extra items that I don't wear.

• imageJill9288:

This.

• imageVG101808:
    I bought a night gown that can be used for nursing low neck/easy to pull down.nbsp; I also purchased a nursing cami that I can wear with some PJ pants.nbsp; I packed a robe to keep me covered up as well since the nursing bras I purchased don't have much padding/support I bought sleep ones because they seemed the most comfy for the first few weeks.

pretty much what will go in my bag..i bought the nightgown last time with dd in case it got ruined and will be using the same one..it worked great! And then just a robe to throw on..i felt much more comfortable in that than the hospital gowns..
  • Okay everyone seems to be saying loose yoga type pants.  Maybe I'm just looking at tight legging-type pants instead of looser pants.  One of my problems is everyone keeps saying 5-6 months pregnant size. but at 6 months i was barely showing at all and wearing all my regular clothes.  so I'm not really sure if I should expect to be that small right afterwards.  I'll check out target and see what I can find.  Thanks for all the suggestions ladies!
  • I bought a nursing nightgown with robe to wear after delivery in the hospital. I heard about all the vag checks. I'll probably pack some stretchy pants, nursing tank and cover to wear home. We don't plan on having a ton of people there at the hospital either.
       image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    photo s622_zps5a9557e5.jpg photo 7ed57166-3187-446e-8404-f2ef169fe40f_zps238c4d05.jpg photo s620_zps504f3ce2.jpg
  • I have these maternity yoga pants from Target that I'm planning on packing.  They go under the belly so they've fit me my entire pregnancy and I figure they'll fit comfortably regardless of how big or small I am after birth.

https://www.target.com/p/liz-lange-for-target-maternity-essential-pants-black/-/A-14173587?reco=Rec|pdp|14173587|ClickEV|item_page.new_vertical_1&lnk=Rec|pdp|ClickEV|item_page.new_vertical_1

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Whatever fits right now will most likely be fine (yoga pant material wise at least).  Your belly isn't going to disappear that fast.   I'm still fitting comfortably in some non-maternity ON foldover skirts and I've got a pair of ON yoga shorts that I'll bring.   As far as tops go I am just taking nursing tanks.

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

• i hate pants, esp if i have other options, so i'll likely be bringing loose casual dresses. this way you don't have to worry about your belly and who knows if you have to have an emergency c/s...wearing a big t-shirt dress or a loose causal dress will allow you to fit no matter what.
  • I packed a maternity/nusring friendly dress, a pair of loose pj bottoms, fabric loose shorts, and a loose long top. Figure that way I'll have something to wear in hospital and on the way home. 
    imageimage
    Anniversary

• thellxthellx member

I'm just wearing my hospital gown. When I have visitors, I'll wear a black Gilligan O'Malley robe from Target over it.

I don't want to deal with the inconvenience of pants, and the hospital gown is comfortable, easy for the nurses and doctors to work around, and can just be immediately thrown away and replaced with a new one if it gets soiled or ruined.

• I am planning to wear a a simple knit dress home.

As far as my time IN the hospital, I am going to stick to the hospital gown and just don a robe for guests. I don't want to be struggling with PJ/yoga pants or anything fitting while I am using the restroom or doing the post-delivery warm water cleanses or whenever the nurse has to assess my peri-pad for drainage.

• I'm bringing basically what I brought last time. Tshirt for night time without company and nursing tank and zip up for over it with some yoga pants. I'm bringing a maxi skirt and tank for the way home.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • My fave post delivery get-up is a black knit maxi/yoga skirt and black nursing tank with flip flops. I throw in a zip-up fleece or hoodie/sweater in case the room is cold. I also throw in a maternity but nursing friendly (wrap/cross front) short-sleeved shirt in case I want more coverage than just the tank but don't need the hoodie layer...

The skirt makes the pads less obvious and allows for easier checks own there. 

• imageV&G101808:
    I bought a night gown that can be used for nursing (low neck/easy to pull down). 
    I also purchased a nursing cami that I can wear with some PJ pants.  I packed a robe to keep me covered up as well since the nursing bras I purchased don't have much padding/support (I bought sleep ones because they seemed the most comfy for the first few weeks).

All of this exactly! We think alike:) 

Off BCP since 1/12
    TTC since 3/12
    High LH/FSH Ratio 8/12
    DX with PCOS 11/12
    Clomid 50mg - 19.5mm Follie - Trigger + TI = BFP! 11/12
    EDD August 11, 2013 
    DS Born August 14, 2013!

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage 

• I wore a black nightgown in the hospital last time and I will do the same this time. I just found it much easier to be in gown for when they came in to check me.
    No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside.

• Last time I wore black yoga capri pants, a nursing tank, and a regular tank top home. I also had a ON fold over skirt on during the early parts of labor which was comfy. No one cared what I as wearing when they came to visit. They just wanted to see my baby.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"