March 2013 Moms
Options

Schedule anyone?

Does anyone have their babies on a schedule?

LO slept well till he was 8 weeks. He was colic so up until about a week and a half ago it was whatever to stay sane. My pediatrician suggested putting him on a schedule. Eat every 3 hours. Nap an hour and a half after eating. He has never been much of a napper, but dang! It takes 2 hours to get him to sleep for 30 minutes.... And usually he just won't. He'll either play and be happy till he eats or will cry until it's time to eat and then fall asleep at the breast and then the schedule is off.

I'm so at a loss.
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Schedule anyone?

• Options

At 4 months, we FINALLY have LO on some sort of schedule-that she set herself. She wakes up between 630-7, goes for her first nap between 830-900, goes down for her second nap between 12-1, goes down for her third between 430-500. Her first two naps are 1.5-2 hours and her last nap is 45 minutes. She goes down for the night between 730/800.

She is definitely more distracted during feeds today, so she'll only eat like 3-4 oz while awake, then another 2-4 oz when she's falling asleep, so she's not quite down to 4-5 feeds; more like 6.  But she still STTN so as long as she's getting all her calories in....

but this didn't happen until 4 months.  Prior to that her naps were only 45 minutes, if even, and she was all over the place. She wasn't getting tired enough so she couldn't sleep through that 45 minute period. Now she's up 2-2.5 hours at a time and sleeps right on through it.

BabyFetus Ticker Little Riley-our first little girl coming March 1st, 2013 (or sometime around there;)
  • Options
    The only thing scheduled, really, is  his bedtime. During the week we need to wake  him for DCP and on the weekends he'll sleep longer but not too much. Other than that, I just sort of roll with when he needs to sleep and eat.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have a very loose schedule. LO usually wakes up somewhere between 6 and 7. We'll feed and play until he starts getting fussy, which is anywhere from 30 min to an hour, then a morning nap that ranges from 30 min to over an hour. Up for the day, feeding, etc until 11 or 12 when we try for an afternoon nap. Sometimes he'll nap sometimes he won't it's really hit and miss. He also gets a bath every other day before the attempted afternoon nap. If he naps he's up by 3 at the latest so we feed and play until 5 or 6 where we usually try for a little cat nap. Then bed is between 8:30 and 9.

That's our "schedule" but we feed on demand so sometimes he constantly wants to eat other times he barely wants to eat. The main things that are always the same is bed time and working on the afternoon nap.
  • Options
    I wouldn't say we have a schedule, but he's more predictable now and I know what to expect.

He usually wakes up between 6 and 7 for the day. He takes a short nap about an hour and a half of two hours later. Short, 30 minutes max most of the time.

Then he goes down around 12 [this is the only time I'm pretty rigid but I have to have DS2 down in order to get DS1 down]. We are working on him sleeping longer stretches in the crib but its usually 30 minute max [today we made 35 minutes!] once he wakes up I pick him up and he usually falls right back asleep and I will hold him for the rest of the nap, usually another 2 hours. Bad habit? Sure, but both boys are asleep and I get two hours to sit down and watch TV. I'm not too worried because I did the same thing with DS1 and he's a great nap taker now. Anyways, both boys are up around 3 usually and then he will take one more nap usually around 5 30. Bed time is around 8ish.

I'm no expert but in my experience, babies do a great job putting themselves on a schedule. I think it was around 6 months with DS1 that his naps were very very consistent in times [i think probably when he dropped to two a day].

• Options
    DS pretty much set his own!

Wake up between 89am
    We feed him every 23 hours and 4560 minutes later he is ready for his nap. He sleeps in his swing, and loves it. He will sleep 3040 minutes.
    He wakes up and eats 30 minutes later. This goes on all day.
    We start his bedtime routine at 8pm, and he's in bed no later than 9pm.

He usually wakes up at 6am to eat, then sleeps until 9am. He has reflux, so we can't lay him down right after he eats. He usually lays in his bouncer. Once he wakes up from his nap, I get our play time in before its time to eat.
  • Options

spending two hours trying to get a baby to go to sleep? no way. why put yourself through all of that?

If having a schedule makes things easier for you then go for it, but if it causes you more stress then just forget about it.

We have no schedule at all. When LO cries I feed her, and when she is tired she sleeps. I think there is some kind to pattern to it, but I'm not watching the clock so I couldn't tell you what it is.

Why did your doctor suggest trying scheduled feeding and sleeping? Just standard advice or to address a particular issue you are having? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageMamaAloha:
    spending two hours trying to get a baby to go to sleep?nbsp;no way. why put yourself through all of that?If having a schedule makes things easier for you then go for it, but if it causes you more stress then just forget about it.We have no schedule at all. When LO cries I feed her, and when she is tired she sleeps. I think there is some kind to pattern to it, but I'm not watching the clock so I couldn't tell you what it is.Why did your doctor suggest trying scheduled feeding and sleeping? Just standard advice or to address a particular issue you are having?nbsp;nbsp;

To help him sleep more. He's just overtired. Babies are supposed to sleep like 15 hours and he sleeps about 8 or 9. I know he gets cranky now because he won't fall asleep. He rubs hus eyes, yawns and gets fussy but just won't fall asleep. He suggested a feeding schedule to kind of help him to sleep just to try.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I follow his lead for the most part... I have him in bed between 8 and 9. He wakes 1 to 3 times in the night to eat.. Up around 6:307. Naps about 9ish after a feeding, wakes around 10. Naps around noon after a feeding. Then its up in the air how long he'll nap and eat before bed.

DS1 -6/25/11

DS2 -3/23/13

Missed MC D&C 8/26/14

DD - 8/26/15

LO#4 due 5/30/17

• Options
    I just follow my baby's lead and that is what I have done for all of my kids (4).  I am not a believer in making a baby fit into your schedule or any schedule.  They need what they need, when they need it.  Sometimes they need to eat every hour or be held all day.  I say just relax and go with it.  It really is over before you even know it...and you will be sad that it is.  And sad that you spent it all trying to get a good night of sleep instead of just enjoying your baby.
  • Options

imagestephrodgers07:
    To help him sleep more. He's just overtired. Babies are supposed to sleep like 15 hours and he sleeps about 8 or 9. I know he gets cranky now because he won't fall asleep. He rubs hus eyes, yawns and gets fussy but just won't fall asleep. He suggested a feeding schedule to kind of help him to sleep just to try.

ok, so it sounds like this is more about helping him relax when he is overtired so he can get more sleep, and not so much about sticking to a schedule?

have you already tried the pilates ball? It's a life saver for me. When LO is overtired I hold her upright over my shoulder and bounce on the pilates physio ball. If you don't have one I would say it is worth the $20 to try it. 

Last night we were in full-on overtired break down mode (pilates ball wasn't doing it for us this time) and I was attempting a diaper change. LO tried to flip over, got stuck on her side, and lay there screaming, when in a moment of despair/genius I thought "baby massage." I gently rubbed her back and sang softly to her as she lay there wailing. Over just a few minutes time she cried less and less and then was sound asleep. 

It was a good reminder to me that I have to keep changing up methods for soothing her as what worked last month may not work today. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My son wakes up between 7 - 8 am. He goes down 1 hr 45 min after he wakes up. I feed him ever 3 hrs, but sometimes 2 1/2 depending on what we're doing. I try to stick to a feed wake sleep routine as much as possible. He is taking about four naps a day ranging from 30 min to hour and a half. We try to have him in bed by 7:30 pm. He wakes up around 3 or 4 am for a night feed. We follow the sleep sense program and it has been AWESOME! My son was colicky and it really helped us.
  • Options

We have a loose schedule, but DS did it himself - trust me, nothing I did :)

Wake around 630/700 and nurse

Nap at 9

Nurse at wake up (around 10/1030)

Nurse around 1200

Nap around 1215/1230 until 3?

Nurse at 3

Nap at 5 (30 minutes)

Nurse around 530

Nurse before bed around 730/800

Everything is approximate depending on how long his naps last (his first nap is either 45 min or 1 1/2 hours depending on if he can go 2 sleep cycles) and bedtime depends on when he wakes from his last nap.

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• Options
    A friend of mine swears by the contented little baby book gives very specific schedules to follow. Look into it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"