2nd Trimester

Stretch Mark Prevention

Anyone have any recommendations on great non-greasy, sticky or waxy feeling lotions? I want to be able to  apply it at least twice a day but everything I try is soooo sticky and thick and its just too hot here to be sticky all day.... Any suggestions?

Re: Stretch Mark Prevention

• Agree with PP nothing can prevent them, Bio Oil is said to be a miracle., I tried it and the only great thing about it is the carrot cake scent. Save the 20 buy some real carrot cake and lotion. I like Palmers, and Nivea also.
  • The only way you can TRY to prevent stretch marks is to keep your weight gain under control, stay hydrated and keep your fingers crossed that you have the "stretchy skin" genes.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Drink tons of water and hope for the best.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I also hear you cannot prevent them.   However, a good lotion can help with itchiness!  I am using Palmer's and no itching yet....however I'm just over 19 weeks now.  I have a long way to go!
  • Water. Water. Water. But most importantly, for amazing skin, eat your water: celery, watermelon, cucumbers, peppers, grapefruit. You get the idea. It is the best thing you can do for your skin, not just stretchmarks. 
  • imageCerafina991:
    The only way you can TRY to prevent stretch marks is to keep your weight gain under control, stay hydrated and keep your fingers crossed that you have the "stretchy skin" genes.  

I disagree.  I gained very little, drank a ton, and had NO stretch marks through the end of the day 34/3.  I woke up the following morning and had stretch marks starting around my belly button.  Now, 1 week later, my stomach is covered.  

In other words, there is nothing preventative or after the fact that can be done.  Embrace the changes in your body. 

Natural m/c Oct. 2005

Dx: balanced translocation and LPD

TTC since Oct 2011

BPF 02/19/12, EDD 10/31/12, natural m/c 02/28/12 (4w6d)

IVF (BCPs starting 10/30/12, ER 11/18/12, 5dt of 1 beautiful, healthy embryo 11/23/12)
    BFP 12/02/12, u/s @ 6w,5d showed 2 HBs! Identical twins!!
    Bed rest from 21w-35w due to short cervix, hospital bed rest from 23w-32w due to PTL
    Our rainbows were born 07/19/13 (36w, 5d)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemj.reilly:
    You cannot prevent stretch marks. No matter how many gallons you put on, nothing will penetrate deep enough to have any effect on their development. It is all genetics and luck. That said, ANY lotion is great for helping with itching and dry skin that accompanies stretching skin.

Find a lotion that you like. It doesn't have to be a gimmick lotion or oil that claims to prevent stretch marks, and costs an arm and a leg. Personally, I use Nivea Smooth Sensation. And the occasional Aquaphor.

MJ is wise. So very wise.

Save your money and get a lotion that works for you. I use the 24 cream from Jergens during the day (absorbs fast) and coconut oil after my shower at night.

I still have stretchmarks and nothing I did last time prevented them either. You can thank Genetics for that.  

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• According to this article on Discovery Health, some people are genetically predisposed to stretch marks but not everyone who gets them. Just in case you aren't, it is a good idea to do the 'lotion, eatting well and staying hydrated' method. 

Here is the article:  

https://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-care/beauty/skin-and-lifestyle/prevent-stretch-marks-when-pregnant.htm

Oh, and I use Vaseline Cocoa Butter Gel Oil on my stomach. It is sticky but its soooo hydrating. Once a day is fine. 

• My only suggestion is to hope you have stretch mark free genes!

Definitely pick a lotion that you like and don't fall for gimmicks because stretch marks are not preventable. Like PP said, hydration is important also, and not just for your skin.

• I just opted for a plain old Vaseline brand lotion with cocoa butter in it. It is in a brown bottle. I was tired of wasting the money on the expensive palmers brands since really, there is no preventing them. However, I found the Vaseline brand moisturizes WAY better then the palmers and lasts all day! Smells better too. Palmers was too thick and stayed sticky forever, this one rubs in right away! Will continue to use it even after baby arrives!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I use coconut oil and it doesn't leave a greasy sticky feeling and it mousturizes better than anything else I've tried! 
  • I agree with PPs, there's no real way to prevent stretch marks (I got my first yesterday and was quite distressed.) But for a very light, non-sticky lotion, I actually use St. Ives elastin and collagen facial moisturizer. It's not expensive, smells light and fresh, and feels great.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
    N '13 November Siggy Challenge- Baby Pictures

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thanks for the suggestions! I'm using the Palmer's lotion ad I'm already sick of the way it smells. Ready to finish the bottle and try something nice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"